Rodent on my child’s bed, how can I stop happening again?

Answered!

Rodent on my child’s bed, how can I stop happening again?

We didn’t get to stay one night.

My daughters laid in their bed and shortly after a mouse appeared darting across the mattress and room. We left in a panic and messaged the host. This was at 12 at night. The host did nothing and instead the next day asked if we took pictures. She didn’t offer a solution, an apology, nothing. Now we are out 850 dollars and the host gets to scam others. 

its a beautiful property with amazing views but the host has no problem taking advantage of guests and not taking responsibility. 

how do I make sure that this doesn’t happen to anyone else? 

it’s a house on the Ogden River and the host refers to herself as a helpfultrumpet. She’s a realtor who has no problem taking advantage and absolutely takes NO responsibility. 

1 Best Answer

@Halima19  It was responsible of you to follow Airbnb protocol, which is indeed to first notify the host to give them an opportunity to address the issue.

But I'm not sure what you expected her to do or say at that point- you had already left and didn't want to return. I suppose she could have said she was sorry that you got freaked out by the mouse, but it isn't her fault that there are mice in the area. It's not like she forgot to clean or purposely put a mouse in the house.

If you had just called her when the mouse appeared, maybe she would have offered to bring over a trap or something. But you had already vacated, so what more could she do than say to deal with Airbnb for a refund? What sort of solution did you expect her to offer?

FYI hosts do not get paid until at least 24 hours after a guest checks in. Until then, Airbnb has your money, not the host.

When the host doesn't offer an acceptable solution, then the next step is for you to cancel, and let Airbnb know what the issue was and in most cases you'll be refunded.

Some hosts just consider it easier not to engage with the guest about complaints, if it's a complaint about something that nothing can be done about and it's obvious that all the guest wants at that point is a refund.

I happen to live in the tropics, where insect life is prolific. First of all, I think guests should do a bit of research into what to expect, in general, when booking in an unfamiliar area. If my guests demanded a refund because they saw some ants, a beetle, a cockroach, a spider, or any one of a thousand other bugs, I wouldn't be able to host. But I do let my guests know to expect these things- of course I clean their room thoroughly, but any insect can come in again. It's just a fact of life here, whether you rent a $500/night beachfront place or my countryside $30/ night private room. (I do have a mosquito net so guests won't get bothered by anything while they're in bed)

View Best Answer in original post

20 Replies 20
Bob297
Level 10
Bilthoven, Netherlands

@Sarah977 

We have two homes in the Caribbean.
We have ants, spiders, cockroaches, etc. I mention that in my description of the homes
The guest noticed a couple of small cockroaches. Airbnb agreed that this was enough cause to end the rental agreement. The guest said it was a health hazard for his children. His wife was born in the Caribbean!!

There is a well-known Airbnb scam in which the diabolical host lures a nice family to their beautiful, well-appointed home, where everything looks perfectly fine. But little do the guests know that the host has secretly contacted one of her mouse friends, and arranged for the creature to give the children a scare after bedtime, leaving the guests absolutely no choice but to flee the property in horror! 

Being asleep when the guests' late-night message comes in is all part of the evil plot to cheat them out of their money, see, because the host would much rather have all their guests run away in the middle of the night than complete their stays or - heaven forbid - give the host a chance to resolve the issue at a reasonable hour in the morning.

Buyer beware! You could be the next victim of the swindle that we in the travel industry call The Mouse Trap!

@Anonymous   I am ROLF.  That is priceless....

Cabin guests "paid" for their star appearances when the guest leaves doors open/food out:

1.  Squirrel 

2.  Brown Bat

3.  Mouse 

4.  Spiders of all descriptions

5.  Ants

6.  Crickets

Yard visitors that also freak out guests;

1.   Squirrels

2.  Chipmunks

3.  Groundhogs

4.  Turkeys

5.   Possum

6.   Deer

7.   Bears

8.  Coyote

9.  Bobcat

10.  Snakes

@Lorna170 a few years ago we had a (non-airbnb) guest pack up and decamp from our cabin in the middle of the night, and send us a message the next morning saying that they had to go to a hotel because

- they heard a wild animal in the house

- they could not see the animal because it was dark and there was no flashlight

We provide working flashlights as well as normal electric lighting, and there was no outage that night.

Our cleaner immediately went to the house and found no evidence of any animal, or any open doors or windows that would have allowed any animal larger than a mouse to get in or out.

We refunded that guest her unused nights and were glad to see the back of her.

@Lorna170 

I had a spider episode, one time. In my case, the guests did not depart in the middle of the night, or, actually, contact me at all. 

They arrived at some point while I was sleeping (possibly around 1am), and I awoke at 6 am to see the cancellation. 

The guests did, however, spend the night with the offending arachnid (all of 2 mm across - 5mm if you include the legs) and departed next day at noon, after apparently locating more pristine accommodations.

Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

We actually added a line in the listing that we don't use any pesticides on the yard and that it may be possible that a bee or spider will enter the apartment, and if so, we will catch and release it.  LOL.  

I might be unnerved to see a mouse inside unless it was a very rural location, but I wouldn't flip out and leave that instant if the place was otherwise nice and clean.  

Count me among those who would risk a little 'wildlife' rather than stay somewhere that is soaked in poison.