Service Animal brought without any notice - and cats live in the rental....

Maggie46
Level 4
Burlington, VT

Service Animal brought without any notice - and cats live in the rental....

Hi all,

I had a family of 4 show up Friday evening.  I had written to say welcome and pls lmk when you arrive safely.  I didn't hear anything so the next day checked my disclosed security camera on the front porch.

I was surprised to see a dog walking in and out of the house.  As well as another person, who isn't a registered guest.

I inquired, was told it was a Service Animal, and I understand the important purpose they play for a human, and have no issue with that in and of itself.

However, my listing is my Home and i rent it out when away and it's called:  Enchanting Cottage for Art & Cat Lovers

I'm floored the guest did not tell me ahead of time, and my cats are freaked out.

I understand he doesn't have to, however, he asked for a later check out and I had extended it by 7 hours, no charge.

it feels really weird, especially since my cats stay there, and he said his kids love cats...

On top of that, I overheard complaining about my petit magic mural room upstairs, and commented - if your kids are uncomfortable, one of them can sleep on the couch.

In any case, its such a bummer bc previous guest was lovely.  They have now asked for a refund, partial and say they are uncomfortable by all my messages, that a "neighbor" was watching them and entered the yard and took pictures of their car...

It's curious b/c this came AFTER I contacted Air bnb about the Service Animal to see what guidelines I needed to follow.

It's not even that it's there- it's they didn't disclose, cat bowls on ground, I would have prepped house for it with towels thrown on couch etc...

I asked Air bnb to ask them to take a picture if they could of "neighbor" in yard, and didn't believe a neighbor would do that....so if it's a trespasser, call the police.

Oh, they also stated I listened to their family conversations.  Which i overhead as they were checking in and only in vicinity of the disclosed security camera.

It's listed in the description.

They clearly didn't read the description, note that I even state the dimensions of the petit mural room bedroom, list a security camera etc...b/c at one point the woman of the couple- looked up when her and her husband were discussing it, and saw the camera and said - Oops, there is a camera!

She had earlier asked him - husband, if she should put the dog in the car for the night and he said no, it will smell....

In any case,

I'm not comfortable at all with the situation but don't want to offer a refund.  This has been eye opening.  And advice?

They are checking out tomorrow I guess, as they asked Air bnb to ask me to stop messaging them...

Should i take the upper road, and still let them check out 7 hours later?  

Will they leave a crappy review in any case?

Was a neighbor really watching them or were they reaching for straws?

Pls advise!!!

ty-

Maggie in Burlington

6 Replies 6
Greg2406
Level 10
Rockport, TX

@Maggie46 

Service animals must be declared prior to booking.  Did you have this clarified in your listing?   

Hosts may not refuse service animals, however,  a Host may and should charge extra fees for cleaning and sanitizing.   Because the Guest did not notify you of the service animal at the time of booking, you would be justified in requesting extra fees, and also even if they did notify you. 

As far as the cats go, you need to have a backup plan in the event that someone does brings in an authorized SA.   May not be what you want to hear, but you must have a contingency in place while your listing is active.   The SA should be registered as an SA and the Guest should be required to show you proof at check-in.    Anyone with an SA should already know that this proof may be required and if they were smart, they would carry it with them while traveling.   Anyone can slap a harness on an animal and call it a service animal,...ugh, no,...documentation should always be mandatory.   

As a vet, I am aware of many many around me with SA's.  They all have them registered as such.   Someone occupying your property is no different.  

@Greg2406 Sorry, but most of what you've told @Maggie46  is just plain wrong. 

The AirBnB policy on service animals is here:

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/1869

The animal doesn't have to be disclosed prior to arrival, and the host cannot charge any additional cleaning or other fees, and a host cannot ask for proof that it is indeed a service animal. Follow the link for all of the details. 

I don't necessarily agree with most of this policy, but you have misinformed Maggie46. 

Cheri354
Level 10
Helena-West Helena, AR

FYI: as per airbnb policy; if host also lives in the home, you can refuse all pets/animals if there are allergies.

I don't think it's a service animal if they were discussing having it sleep in the car. An SA is with their human at all times.. Are your cats inside or outside pets ? Are they comfortable with guests coming in while you're away ? Could they stay in a basement area or some place else away from 'strangers' ?

Do your neighbors know you rent out your home ? Perhaps one saw that you had left for a while and then was concerned when strangers pulled up and entered the house.

All of what you said makes sense

Thks Cheri

cats are ok-friendly with guests. However not with unknown dogs- Service Animals would stay by hunan’s side at all times and not bother them. 

I did ask guest the permitted questions as outlined in policy- re is your SA trained robassist with a disability and what tasks do they help with.
no reply

so I have written Airbnb to see if rhey offer Back Up to assure authenticity.

i am all for having SA’s but not faux ines that are not disclosed!

Oh and YES my neighbors know I rent my house. 
They would not do that. Guest felt they were being watched - they reported to Airbnb and asked for a refund. 
They had not read the listing or did not note I had a disclosed wxterior security camera on front porch- and this is How i saw the dog. I also overheard them etc and addressed it in a message to them, which I probably should hve let go. 

i felt disrespected not hving the dog disclosed, esp since I had hd lots of communication with Guest, he and his wife stated their girls were excited about the cats, and I had extended their Check out time 7 hrs per request at no charge. 

I felt manipulated- why express excitement about my cats and not ask oh- how are they with dogs?!  Even SA’s? Just to help me prepare. 

iIt was their not disclosing it - Which I get they don’t have to. (Which is weird to me) Guest stated Hosts will cancel on them if they know have a SA, so Air bnb advised them not to disclose?!

But IF hosts are required to accept SA’s then Guests should hve to disclose in advance, and hosts be penalized or unable to cancel, right?!

thanks!