Announcements

Winter Release Q&A with Airbnb’s Christy Schrader

Winter Release Q&A session

Text Messaging Guests

Guy991
Top Contributor
Sintra, Portugal

Text Messaging Guests

When it comes to communicating with guests, which is a fundamental part of providing exceptional hospitality, I see two types of guests: those with the app and those without.

For guests using the app, communication is usually quicker and smoother. They update their arrival time, send requests when needed, and report any issues promptly.

However, for guests who don’t have the app installed, communication becomes much more challenging, often at the expense of the host’s ability to provide excellent service. These guests rely on emails, and some don’t have a laptop with them. The desktop they used to make the reservation is at home, and they aren’t even aware of the messages we send.

I once read in a community post from a host with far more experience than me that she switches to WhatsApp or text messages for all her guests. I wish I could remember her name to tag and thank her.

In the beginning, I thought it was better to keep all communication within the system, just in case any issues arise. But now I think I have no choice but to move to text messages for guests not using the app.

Just as there’s an option to decline reservations from guests without a profile picture, there should be an option to not accept guests who aren’t using the app.

Additionally, I believe Airbnb should really encourage guests to install the app and learn how to use it. Maybe part of the reservation process could be completed via the app.

Meanwhile, I’ll take the experienced host’s advice and switch to text messages when I notice a guest isn’t responding via the Airbnb app.

I consider starting with the following message:

Hello (guest name),

This is Guy, your host at (listing name).

We’re looking forward to your stay. I’ve sent you some important messages through the Airbnb app, and I noticed you haven’t had a chance to read it yet.

I highly recommend downloading the app so that communication between us (and with other hosts) is easier. Thanks!

If you prefer not to install or use the app, or you can’t do that, we can continue communicating through this channel. Please let me know your preference.

Kind regards,
Guy

Please share some more ideas before I put this into action.
Thank you.

15 Replies 15

Hi @Dr-Jayanthi1 😊

Yes, I agree! You are really extroverted, and it is always a pleasure to read your comments or posts in the community.

I wish you a wonderful day. 😍

Warm regards 🌻,

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines //Merci de jeter un oeil aux Principes du Community Center