The "new" host review form for guests to rate hosts

Answered!
Timothy19
Level 8
Bryn Mawr, PA

The "new" host review form for guests to rate hosts

I just saw this on a FB hosting group and was shocked at how tedious this process has gotten for guests. I have several comments and questions.

1. Is this standard for ALL guests of ALL properties, or is this just aimed at select guests of select listings in order to verify the listing amenities, etc? This is literally 10 pages of questions (on mobile at least). 10 pages!

2. If this is standard practice now, well, wow. Does ABB expect guests to go through this whole thing every stay? ABB is pushing owners to get reviews get reviews get reviews....and then makes the get review process this cumbersome? I wouldn't be surprised if guests stop leaving reviews.

3. The entire "compares to your expectations" part seems like it will actually make the rating system WORSE than it was before. Guests already had trouble with ABB's interpretation of what 5 stars meant. We had owners pushing for 5* because ABB treated 4* like a bad rating. Now this new system looks even MORE geared to getting low ratings. Imagine you have a listing that just looks stunning....all the amenities in the world....picture perfect. The guest stays there with HIGH expectations and the owner delivers. "About the same as expected". That looks like a 3* rating equivalent. Even "better than expected" would only get this incredible listing a 4* equivalent rating.

----------- I think AirBnB just made their rating system WORSE!

rev1.gif

rev2.gif

rev3.gif

1 Best Answer
Cor3
Level 10
Langerak, South Holland, Netherlands

Hi @Emily352,

You are entirely right. Having said that though, there is a mathematical law, called: “Wisdom of the crowd”. So, when Airbnb can acquire enough answers from “semi”-experts (guests), the truth will slowly, but definitely bubble to the surface. Even better than what is actually listed by the owner (the expert). And still even better, when the individual answers may be of a somewhat poor quality.

Small example: In order to enter a property, one may have to enter 2 small doorsteps. An owner may consider this to be a flat entry. Whereas some guests may consider these as stairs. Maybe at best as a non-flat entry.

At Airbnb it is all about numbers. And they are aware of probability rates, influence of larger numbers, etc. They know, when to say: It is too close to call.

So don’t be surprised, when certain amenities will automatically be added or removed from a listing in due time.

A lot of hosts hate the location rating (hosts can’t move their property. Usually the location is also clearly listed or mentioned too). But for guests (so also pricewise), this is invaluable information! Even a distance of about 50 meters can make a huge difference! The view from one apartment may be marvelous, whereas the view from the adjacent apartment may be a bit cluttered. Another apartment may be at main street, whereas the adjacent apartment, is just around the corner.

All they are trying to achieve, is to capture basic human emotions in a mathematical model.

Don’t worry: All this data is not just meant to look at the hosts, they will also use this data to look at guests as well!

I.e.: When Airbnb notices that a particular area/accommodation in ‘general’ is rewarded lower by middle-aged guests from France. But being rewarded higher by younger guests from the UK. They can and will use this information in the provision of search results to potential guests.

End goal: As many bums on beds as possible, at a sustainable price. I would love to see that 1-page KPI report, which BC finds on his desk, every morning!

View Best Answer in original post

163 Replies 163

@Rebecca181  I think this is a review type survey and checking on listings that state they provide things but did not. When there are millions of listings and some scams going on, how does one manage it. It started with an experiment, its still prob an experiment......Its in the news about its agressive growth plans in its future direction, when its get that big,  there will be ripples....!!!

Perhaps. But 10 pages is simply way too long. We will get less reviews because of it. And our super host status depends on our reviews. It's yet another impediment, another rock to roll uphill. There's got to be a better way.

How long has this been in place and why wasn't I - a host - informed?

At best, really bad communication airbnb.

I hadnt heard about it either Andrew. Nor do I remember being told about the change?  hmmmm. Seems air bnb is discouraging hosting?

@Mims0   They back pedaled on this last week.

Correction: Previously we stated that guests who cancel before check-in, without seeing or visiting the space, shouldn't be able to leave a review, and that if hosts contacted us, we would remove reviews left by these guests. But it’s not always that simple. We only remove reviews which violate our content guidelines. We apologize for any confusion we may have caused in the Host Q&A. We take this seriously, and moving forward, we’re committed to being more clear.

https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Host-Q-A/idb-p/2018-q2-qanda-en

More Orwellian double-speak. It's getting not only eerie, but old...

@Letti0   I wonder what precipitated the back-pedalling. For a couple of weeks the non-Superhosts had "Reviews can only be written after an actual stay" right on the host's profile and before their reviews. A couple days ago I noticed that it's gone.

So, why am I not surprised that Airbnb came up with a good policy for once, and then right away recinded it.

They must have someone there at corporate all the ideas get run past who says "No guys, you just don't get it. This makes WAY too much sense. Repeat after me- No transparency, No explanations, No common sense. Guest= god. I can't hear you- say it again, louder. Okay, now we're all on the same page. Now get back to work closing down unresolved cases."

@Sarah977   I am thinking guests were complaining about their reviews being pulled and AirBnB is guests first for the most part now. You can still agrue if they make comments on the space that would be content issues. You can not comment on a space you have never seen, but if they keep it to horrible communication, non repsonsive, listing not accurate or generic things like that you're stuck with it. 

go figure!!    I had a guest cancel a reservation 4 days prior to their arrival. i have a moderate cancellation policy. the guest's excuse ,to me was not true. From what they said you could tell. he had all different excuses for not cancelling within the 5 day window. Air bnb paid me for the reservation because of my policy, then took the money back and didnt even notify me?! When i asked them about it, there attitude was like they didnt even care.then added oh sorry about not notifying you...HUH????!! If we did that, we would certainly be charged...sigh

@Mims0

Just curious what was the guests reason for cancelling? Im trying to understand their logic. Thanks

they said they didnt want to come because it was smokey. It was as smokey there as it was here....

@Mims0 Seems to  me that Airbnb is discouraging *shared* home hosting and/or hosts who offer a home-like environment, versus a commercially-managed hotel-like environment. Guess they have too many listings now, and need to ensure that Airbnb Plus and the commercially-run listings are successful. At shared-home hosts' expense.

they may want to reconsider that, especially in the Tahoe area,as they will be voting come november in NOT allowing air bnb rentals in residential areas. That will hurt them as there are a bunch of homes in that area,so people like me who are 12 miles from tahoe,will become much more in demand than we already are. not to mention the price difference in renting in the valley VS renting at Tahoe.....will be interesting,as more communities move to vote on initiatives like this

seems to me the air bnb guest WANTS that home feeling.. At least from what my guests have said. they love that they feel right at home, and the opportunity to meet new people. If they were not looking for that, they would book a motel/hotel. 🙂

Kim87
Level 10
Montreal, Canada

Just came back from a trip as a guest in 4 different airbnb's that i had to review. Yes, it is that complicated every time. There are many more questions if you're travelling with children i assure you. I am so chocked! I felt like it was inviting me to find the place less desirable than what was expected. Why the hell would they ask me if the place has a jacuzzi or a gym ? If i had wanted a place with a jacuzzi and a gym i would have reserved that. Table corner protections for my 6-13-15 years old ?! The guest answers NO there wasn't this, NO there wasn't that, in the end he/she feels like the place could have had all this and then is asked to leave a written review with all this in mind.

Stupid stupid stupid.