The reviews system is being updated

Jenny
Community Manager
Community Manager
Galashiels, United Kingdom

The reviews system is being updated

dispute-reviews-XL_(1).jpeg

Hosting connects you to strangers from around the world that you’d likely never cross paths with if you weren’t a Host on Airbnb. Reviews are an essential part and natural conclusion to each stay – whether a Host rates a guest or a guest rates the experience they had during their stay, reviews are displayed publicly for everyone to see. With that being said, sometimes reviews left by guests may feel unfair. You’ve told us that you’re frustrated with the current reviews system, so we’re updating the way reviews work as a result of your requests.

Feel more comfortable hosting guests without worrying about the possibility of receiving a retaliatory review or not having enough info about potential guests with the following upgrades:

• Learn how you can dispute retaliatory reviews under our updated reviews policy.
  • Flag reviews from guests who commit a serious policy violation or violate your house rules.
  • Read specific details left about guests by other Hosts—and leave these details when any guest stays with you. 

Early next year, we’re also introducing a chatbot to make it easier for you to initiate a review dispute—without having to contact Community Support.

The same process applies to the reviews guests leave for you. Guests will still choose one to five stars for their overall stay. They can now also add a star rating—and specify what went well or could have gone better—in several categories. Only your overall star rating is factored into Superhost criteria, so your star ratings and feedback in specific categories won’t impact your Superhost status. 

Read more about it on the Resource Center.

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

137 Replies 137
Gillian166
Level 10
Hay Valley, Australia

@Huma0  true, and in my dashboard there's been some upgrade to House Rules. I'm still getting the impression we have to report the guest to CS, which surely is just too much extra work to put on them? and if I report bad behaviour will the guest be notified, and then leave me a retaliatory review?

it's not looking like it's going to be effective, because I don't want to risk a bad review over it. For now I appreciate that with our reviews we can leave notes for hosts on what the issues were, and you can leave a custom note.  What might seem like a mild breach in behaviour (eg, parking in the wrong spot) could turn out to be a habit they have, and now we'll be able to warn other hosts. 

But this leads to another question, surely after a while a guest is going to have - potentially - a hundred notes on their profile. How many will actually be displayed? 

I know i sound like a broken record, but was any of this beta tested with actual working hosts?

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Gillian166 

I have no idea if any beta testing was done. I know that I was told some months ago that the review process was being re-evaluated and asked if I would like to participate in the host feedback, and I said yes, but I never heard about it again...

Plus, the last 'feedback' session I was asked to participate in was about the changes to the host cancellation policies, only we were all on 'mute' and it took place the day before the announcement was made, so clearly the decisions had already been made and our feedback was irrelevant. 

There are a few issues here, some of which you have mentioned. IF we have to report the guests, then what are CS going to do with that? They are supposed to 'educate' the guests, so obviously that means informing them. That surely is counter-productive, as it's just going to encourage a retaliatory review, unless CS explains clearly that review would then be removed. However, it's easy enough for a guest to punish the host in the reviews/ratings without it coming across as obviously retaliatory.

And, there is also the problem of how easy it is for a guest to simply create a new profile if they get a negative review, warning or whatever. I have seen this first hand.

I had a guest with a really bad review try to book with me. I turned her away (her communication was also awful). She then tried to book under a new profile (also showing as verified). This time, it was flagged by Airbnb. I called CS and was told to block and report her, which I did. But, they did nothing about it. Both her 'verified' profiles were allowed to remain on the system and she was able to book stays. Meanwhile, I was dinged on acceptance rate.

@Gillian166 

100% agree re change to CC

It's a very frustrating layout, difficult to navigate and not user friendly, in fact trying to get to anything has done my poor head in.

Bring back the old version @Stephanie @Quincy @Jenny and others.

Please think of how others who may live with injuries, hand and other, feel having to keep clicking all those links and other extra clicks and scrolling we never had before.

@Helen427  they won't roll it back, that is not going to happen. 

but i currently have my left wrist in a brace due to soft tissue damage caused by - wait for it - making beds!!!!!! haha. i did it back at the start of the year, when i was down on the farm helping my daughter with turnovers, left hand picking up mattresses, making 4 beds every day, ouchie. then i went back in april, may, sept, nov and each time it flared up again. finally went to Dr and she said 2 weeks in a brace, strong meds, keep it still. ha. i still run a house here (and we are selling so have to keep it pristine clean 24/7)

as a photographer i already get sore hands, and of course pain from using a mouse all day. so yes, i notice the extra clicks too, and it's annoying. 

Jenny
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @Helen427 and @Gillian166 

Thanks for the insight - we do really appreciate it.

I'll add this to our redesign feedback so that we can make sure your voice is heard, while any further updates are being considered.

Jenny

-----

Ruth413
Level 10
Moreton, United Kingdom

Can someone let us know about check out instructions please.  Are these now meant to be written in the rules/policies ?  

I notice there have been quite a few posts lately from guests complaining about these and I really want to be upfront what I request on departure.  It isn't a lot at all, but I don't want to be dinged by a guest in a review if these are meant to be written into the listing and not left in a guest book to be seen on arrival.  They are not actually rules as such, but requests.

Jenny
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @Ruth413 

There's some more information here about ground rules, which includes check-out instructions.

You might also want to head over to the dedicated discussion for ground rules with any additional thoughts or questions.  

Thanks!

Jenny

-----

@Ruth413    all the answers this week involve links! haha. getting dizzy. 

the video says the Ground Rules thing isn't being rolled out until next year, so i'm hoping we'll see some changes now and have time to be prepared. 

John6556
Level 5
Toronto, Canada

Hi @Jenny .  There doesn't seem to be a way to flag reviews.  The link takes you to the contact support page. I called in to CS a couple times and they don't know what to do with new retaliatory policy.  I'm in contact with others and they can't get anywhere either.  We're getting fed up to the point where we are ready to remove our listings. You've seen my posts prior to this new policy coming into effect.  This guest made a serious violation to Airbnb policy by allowing others access to the rental without authorization.  There were other violations to the house rules. The guest cancelled and retaliated with a defamatory review targeting us, the hosts, initially accusing us of having a cam which caused suspension of our listings and then with his review calling us extreme monitoring hosts watching every move and knowing things he never told us about himself after I changed his access code to stop his girlfriend and his mother from accessing the rental.  We did nothing wrong. His review was removed in September. I did not reply to it as there was no need. CS reinstated the review in November claiming it was in the interest of the community to keep them informed.  Of what? An all seeing eye host that will never leave you alone? This is ridiculous! Now I can't even respond to the review! The guest violated policy and house rules.  The place was for one guest. I explained that to him before he booked, that I would make exception to or no overnight visitors rule and allow occasional overnight stays Saturday nights for his girlfriend. He hands out the access code and she was here every night in the beginning. Then his mother has the access code and just walks in while he is away. I have had enough of this retaliatory review and this run around!  John

Bhumika
Community Manager
Community Manager
Toronto, Canada

Hello @John6556 ,

As discussed in another thread where you had tagged me, I have already flagged this issue to the concerned team. Hope to have some updates for resolving it soon. Thanks for sharing your concern.

Bhumika

Can't find what you're looking for? Click here to start a conversation!

-----

You do not Flag the Review, you flag the guest profile--the little flag is always there next to guest profile and reservation info on the right. Or click on their image icon, it takes you to their guest profile history, and see the little flag. It is black. Remember, you are always to focus on the guest behavior to report, notice the choices it presents for you to click.Notice it always wants to know more about the guest trying to avoid or go around Airbnb in negotiating with you the host to rent your place.  Or it speaks to unsafe behavior, or anything that makes you feel unsafe with the guest. And once you click that flag it does not go away.  It will always be linked to their profile page forever.

Susan
Lori2666
Level 3
San Antonio, TX

The new review categories are worrying many guests. They are a really specific set of rules that will hurt our reviews. These are not welcome. 

For instance, some are in downtown locations or just simple neighborhoods and won’t all have “beautiful surroundings”.

Now there are too many things for guests to check and subconsciously if they only check one or two this will lower their view of your place.

Flexible check-in is also weird. What if guests want to check-in early or checkout late? If the house is not available they will now rate us poorly.

And “lots to do” - what if the point is to get away and relax?

And “pristine” kitchen? I would think, well it’s very clean, but pristine??? Hmmmmm. That’s a strong word.

These are bad news.

Sybe
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
Terneuzen, Netherlands

Hi @Lori2666 ! Thanks for sharing your concerns. I understand it's a bit daunting to see changes to something like reviews that already have a huge impact on Hosts.

The extra things guests can choose - like "lots to do" or "pristine kitchen" - are just like it says, optional extras. You'll still receive an overall rating, which is what counts towards your Superhost status as well. Guests won't be rating you on these extras, but can select them if any of them stand out. 

We're passing on all feedback so thanks so much for sharing your thoughts here!

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen

@Sybe  The problem is the "optional extras" will influence a guest's opinion. You're putting preconceived notions in their heads.

For example, I always get 5* for check in because my check in process is flawless and seamless. I even get 5* from guests who have asked for early check ins and were declined because it is just not an option with my schedule.  I have a 6 hour check in window, (5 pm - 11 pm) which is very flexible. Honestly, most of my guests show up after 8 pm because I'm an interstate stop-over en route to other destinations. My guest last night showed up at 10:45 pm and it was no problem for either party.

Now AirBNB has added an optional check box for "flexibility".  So if a guest wants to check in at 2 pm and I don't accommodate them, they will now see the optional "flexibility" which will prompt them to think, "Well, they didn't let me check in early. They weren't flexible. So they don't deserve 5*".

Really, really bad idea.

And location is already problematic enough for us hosts who are not in prime locations. Location is literally my Achilles heel because I'm in a rural area. I'm not convenient to anything. I'm not a destination location. There is no mass transit. I'm 6 miles to the nearest Walmart or gas station. It is not walkable because I live on narrow country roads that if you tried to walk them, you would die. I have a hay field across the street. Nothing scenic. Just rural. I already get 4* for location because I'm not convenient even though guests know exactly where they will be when they make the CHOICE to book a rural location. Now you are prompting them to have even more reasons not to give me 5*.

AirBNB used to be about air mattresses in a room. Now you are catering to Luxury and OMG! locations and really giving the middle finger to those of us who embody the original and traditional concept of AirBNB.

Kristi5
Level 9
Washington, United States

@Jenny @AIRBNB !!!!!!

EVERYTHING@Bubba-Lee0  SAID!!!! ☝🏽☝🏽☝🏽☝🏽☝🏽☝🏽☝🏽☝🏽

Are you listening to us???