The universe wants me to stop hosting...like yesterday

Laura2592
Level 10
Frederick, MD

The universe wants me to stop hosting...like yesterday

The berry honeymooners left. Some extra clean up but nothing major. 

Today we have an early check in. Different couple. Power has already been "out" (nope. They just couldn't find the light switch despite instructions in the check in email) and they too have questions about starting a fire. Like immediately- the minute they arrive. Can't figure out the flue. So at the tail end of burn season we have 2 guests in a row who were flummoxed by the fireplace. All winter we have had zero questions. We have info in the house guide and a video we send guests. Didn't see that. Just started messaging. 

We provide a fire log with every stay until March 31. If I were staying on the platform I would say "No fires after March 15." Period. Tomorrow will be 70. Today is a bit chilly. We had the same issue last year-- very late in the season guests who were obsessed with the fireplace and had no idea how to operate it. One person freaked out that she had booked in late April and we didn't provide firewood. It was 70-80 during her stay. She made a fire with the AC on. 

If I ever host again I will Not. Have. Any. Fireplace. And if there is one in the house, I will fill it with plants or gummy bears or something to make it inoperable. 

7 more stays.....

31 Replies 31
Kimberly718
Level 10
North Stonington, CT

When we were getting our Airbnb ready to open we had a chimney sweep come to lean out the chimney and advise on the best plan for the fireplace given we'd be hosting up to four guests at our guest house. He informed that the only safe system would be a fully enclosed gas unit as he said people do not know how to use a fireplace and he'd seen people even with gas units opening the door and roasting marshmallows which clogged up the whole system.  We opted to do nothing but put some pretty birch logs which I drilled a space to put glass votives. Nobody ever uses them but at least they're not burning the house down. For the most part we've hd pretty great guests but there are the few who seem completely clueless like a couple from NYC coming to our CT guest house during a winter storm where the temps were around 3° and the wind was blowing at about 35mph. They called me frantic because they couldn't get the place warm. When I arrived at the guest house they answered the door barefoot and wearing shorts and t-shirt. The heat was set at 80° (oil/baseboard heaters) and the house was cooking at 72°. I was stunned that they were so ignorant. I brought them a space heater and electric blanket and suggested some cozy clothes. They drained my 500gal oil tank by 1/8. Moving forward I get ahead of it, I installed a thermostat so I can adjust when my guests head out for the day and forget to turn the heat down and I let them know in advance to pack cozy slippers and warm clothes. 

Normen0
Level 10
Canada

We had an old stone fireplace in our old house. Such charm. Guests were in shared accommodations so it wasn’t theirs to start so that was all good. When we moved, no fireplace and we couldn’t fit a wood burning in so we disappointedly put in a gas fireplace in the guest apt.  So glad that’s how it ended up.  On and off. Even then it has a tricky way of starting (Childproof safety measure) and those who don’t read can’t figure it out.  But no one is burning the place down!!  As for the fire pit, we have a security camera pointed that way. We live on site, so if something looks awry, I just “happen” to wander out, say hello and lend a hand to get it going or mention it may be too big.  Doesn’t happen too often that I have to do that but glad to be able to watch over it. I never mention I’ve seen it on the camera.  Have had guests say they forgot to bring gas to start the fire when they are having troubles  ACKKKKK!!!! 
I have printed out and put in my Guidebook, the basic instructions for “How to build a Campfire” from Boys Scouts of America to help some people  out. I can’t believe how much instruction is needed.