Announcements

Winter Release Q&A with Airbnb’s Christy Schrader

Winter Release Q&A session

Those pesky cancellation policies

Ann72
Level 10
New York, NY

Those pesky cancellation policies

Guest Instant Booked for three days in July, thus accepting my strict cancellation policy. This week they altered their reservation to three days in August, and an hour later cancelled, saying they had to go out of the country.  I got an email saying they had been refunded 50%.

Two days later Airbnb emailed me and asked me to refund the rest, asking me to reconsider my decision, "in the spirit of Airbnb."

I took a page from "Casablanca" and wrote back:  "I'm shocked that a representative of Airbnb would ask me to break the Terms of Service in this manner. It flies in the face of the mutual respect that is at the heart of the spirit of Airbnb."

Airbnb replied that bypassing my strict cancellation policy would be "an act of goodwill."  And I replied that I had given my answer and was not interested in discussing the matter further.  Their response:  "I understand.  Please consider this case closed.  Have a nice day!"

First, let me just say that I've happily refunded guests fully when they've made a mistake or couldn't come because of a blizzard or something.  But I didn't like the guests' attempt to game the system by altering and then cancelling.  They clearly thought that if they changed the date and cancelled within 48 hours, they would get a full refund.  But the refund policy was linked to the original booking date.

Second, I CAN'T EVEN with the guilting and the pressure to circumvent the policy!!!  Suggesting that I show goodwill toward guests who tried to game me is just not on!

Nevertheless, would you believe I woke up in the middle of the night and thought, "I should give the money back"?

Somebody please talk me back from the ledge.

61 Replies 61
Suzanne302
Level 10
Wilmington, NC

@Ann72 

I'll add to the chorus of Nope. Nope. Nope! so you can stop feeling any lingering guilt. Scammers do not deserve a refund. No way. No how!

This is the third or fourth story I've read about guests trying to do this.

Kath9
Level 10
Albany, Australia

@Ann72, I totally agree with @Susan17 (why with the updates to our user names can I STILL not tag people???). Refunding scammers simply enables them and there will never be an end to it. Cancellation policies are there for a reason. I totally understand where you're coming from - had the guest just been honest about it, then, sure, refund. But to try and wangle their way out of it by being sneaky? Nope. Stick to your guns mate and definitely step back from that ledge!

Thanks, @Suzanne302 and @Kath9 !  Definitely back from the ledge.  This happened the day the community forum was down and I really missed you guys!  🙂

Stephanie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

@Kath9 - sorry the tagging is still a bit dodgey, we are chasing down the final bugs with large pointy sticks. I've fixed Susan's mention in your post for you.

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines 

J-Renato0
Level 10
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

@Ann72 

They altered the dates to use it as a trick to get 50% refund. This practice is becoming usual according to what I have read in this forum/community.

I think you did the right thing. If I were in your place I would not refund the rest of the money as well.

Moreover, I think Airbnb should block this kind of trick. If the guests ask to alter the dates too close to their stay (when they can not be refunded anymore), they should not have the right to be refunded for altered dates.

@J-Renato0 They were fully entitled to a 50% refund - they altered the dates to get a 100% refund.  🙂

I think Airbnb knows what's going on.  They need to make a good show of going to bat for the guest.  CS sends two hard-sell emails.  If the host doesn't budge, they give up, tell the guest they're sorry but the host refused, and still collect a fee.

It's an endless game of good cop/bad cop.

@J-Renato0@Ann72 

When I worked at a hotel the cancelation policy was that the reservation could not be canceled OR ALTERED within 14 days or 21 days of the arrival date. I don't know why Airbnb cannot have a policy like this. There are actually many things where I WISH Airbnb operated MORE like a hotel.

I ag

@Emilia42 wrote:

@J-Renato0@Ann72

When I worked at a hotel the cancelation policy was that the reservation could not be canceled OR ALTERED within 14 days or 21 days of the arrival date. I don't know why Airbnb cannot have a policy like this. There are actually many things where I WISH Airbnb operated MORE like a hotel.

I agree @Emilia42 , @J Renato@Ann72 and friends,

We need to maintain respect for ourselves and not second guess reasonable, clear policy that maintains our ability to function successfully, and we should EXPECT that our booking platform will support our clearly stated policy that is within their clearly stated policy.

Airbnb has chosen to enter and include the hotel/motel market and sets even higher standards for us.  We maintain all of the overhead and service to the properties they market, and we should EXECT and RECEIVE excellent customer service and protection of our assets/bookings from our booking platform as well, including photo ID/matching credit card cinfirmations, direct credit card billing for damages, and no refunds for necessary evictions/bad behavior, in addition to supporting our cancellation policy and scam prevention.

In addition to the hotel standards for ID/credit card matches,  damage/security deposit billings, and termination of booking for bad behavior, other competing booking sites also offer the option of strict 30, 60, and 90 day cancellation/no refund perameters.

EXACTLY!!!!  What J Renato said!!!

Helen3
Top Contributor
Bristol, United Kingdom

How frustating for you. I hate the way they do this @Ann72 

Last time they tried it on me, I told that that they were the billion dollar corporation not me and that if 'in the spirit of Airbnb' they wanted to refund the guests out of their own pocket they could do so, but it wasn't coming out of mine!

I agree with @Helen3 . Airbnb CS should not break the rule which Airbnb laid out. It is definitely very easy for Airbnb CS to reply to the guest requesting a cancellation. 

(1) Please read the cancellation policy

(2) If you want refund, please discuss directly with the host. We can only do refund under the special circumstances listed in the Airbnb Cancellation Policy.

A rule is a rule. If a rule is not followed once, it is easy to have subsequent results of abusing other rules. I fully support @Ann72 decision.

Shaun69
Level 10
Hurstpierpoint, United Kingdom

@Ann72  When I start to get these "be pleasant feelings" I normally have a small glass of spiced navy rum with a single ice cube. It might not shake me out of the "kind act" syndrome but at-least it tastes good !!!!!!

Regards Shaun

Pete69
Level 10
Los Angeles, CA

I had 3 cancellations over the last 45 days. Fortunately none were last minute bookings. Once the summer tourist season starts up I know that I can refill cancelled dates no problem. Sometimes I jack up my price! Often the new guests book for more days than the cancelled guests, so no worries. All in all, cancellations are just part of doing this hospitality business whether you're a hotel or Airbnb. You win some, you lose some.

@Pete69 Pete, Pete, Pete, Pete, Pete - it's not the cancellations, it's the gamers, liars, and scammers.  As @Alice595 said, a rule is a rule.  You agreed to it when you booked, now suck it up.

I ususlly refund some money to the guest who cancelled if I get those days re-booked.  However, I won't do a full refund, I think it is reasonable to get something for my time spent.