Unauthorized packages

Kim937
Level 4
Portland, OR

Unauthorized packages

I'm writing this as a warning about allowing guests to receive packages to your listing because of the headache I endured today.

Yesterday, a large, very heavy package was delivered to my home for a guest arriving today.  It was so large that it blocked the stairs leading to my small front porch which resulted in me not being able to use my front door.  I was able to slide it down the steps and pull it into my driveway out of sight.  This guest did not ask to send packages here and certainly not in advance of his reservation.  He then cancelled his reservation this morning because he wanted to add children to the reservation despite my no child policy which I declined.  He made a big stink about getting a full refund with multiple messages back and forth.

I allowed him to pick up his package and thought that was the end of it.  He's now saying that additional packages are here which I'm not aware of.  After consulting a FB host forum, I took their advice and told him that if packages arrive, I will contact the carrier and have them sent back to the originator.  He just now threatened to come onto my property to look around for his packages which involves going into my backyard.  I've called Airbnb to report this as a safety concern.  I don't want this man wandering around here in the dark uninvited.  I told him he is not welcome here and that if he does come by, I will consider it trespassing and contact the police.  Airbnb did say that they have escalated the issue but that I shouldn't expect to hear back from them for 24 hours.  Lastly, another Airbnb department has sent a message asking me arrange for his packages to be returned to him!  I'm perplexed by this because the large package was picked up earlier today and I'm unaware of other packages other than his claims.  It's feeling more and more like a scam.

6 Replies 6
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Kim937 

As you mentioned the large package is picked already (by whom ?) and there are no other packages, maybe consider this weird case (incl. stupid respons from Airbnb) as closed ?

Ofcourse if this individual shows up or threatening you again, the police should be involved.

IMO Airbnb should also suspend such guest from using the platform.

And in future immediatelly call the carrier to pick up the unwanted items left at your doorstep.

Pablo629
Level 10
La Paz, Bolivia

Do guest have to ask permissions for receiving packages?

Si ésta información fue de ayuda, dale un: "like/kudo". Acá abajo. Saludos

@Pablo629  Yes. The use of the host U S Postal mail service is a private property issue and protected by Federal law.

Susan
Susan990
Level 10
Redmond, OR

@Kim937  It feels like a scam because that is what it is.  A person who is wanted by the law or a convicted felon and the like cannot get a mail box service legally either at the post office or a private purveyor. They cannot get mail delivery at a hotel or resort  unless arranged for, usually for a fee, etc. But using an Airbnb as a mail drop/package drop location is the con artists way of getting around the problem. The rues of the kids is just a false front because the package was ordered delivered ahead of time and the individual never intended to check in but to just come by and retrieve the goods shipped.

Susan
Stephanie1933
Level 10
Christchurch, New Zealand

@Susan990 wow, this is all new to me! I can't even fathom someone doing that. 

@Kim937  The lesson to learn from your experience shared is that when a guest immediately asks for permission to have packages delivered and the reservation is for a night or two (str) that is a red flag you are being used as a mail drop delivery site.  The ONLY time an ABB property should provide mail box privileges' is  for long term rental guests i.e. a MONTH or more.

Add to that guideline the all too  obvious last minute introduction of a factor which prevents guest from moving in and/or guest objects to the terms of occupancy which is a red flag they are not interested in occupying the space but rather in using it to some other  purpose.

Hope this helps you all in avoiding these traps.

Susan