Announcements

Winter Release Q&A with Airbnb’s Christy Schrader

Winter Release Q&A session

Unreasonable Expectations: Cheap & Entitled Guests Who Give Weak Ratings

Unreasonable Expectations: Cheap & Entitled Guests Who Give Weak Ratings

New(ish) host. Here for a rant… I guess I’m really hoping for some sympathetic words from more experienced hosts who have gotten through a similar situation. I have written a few on this theme since my nightmare Christmas & New Years guests, but have never posted any because they end up so long and I thought people probably wouldn’t read it – or feared I would be criticised for whinging… But after another overly-critical, miserly rater has knocked me that bit further away from Superhost status, I am honestly fuming.

Sorry for length in advance. I hope some of you don’t mind reading.... At least I hope Airbnb staff will see this and consider what I am saying.

I haven’t had many guests yet. The majority of my few guests have been absolutely the loveliest people you want to meet. While not the Ritz, it would be fair to say my property is high-end accommodation.

Most of my guests recognise extra efforts made for them. Most also have had a good, general idea of what hotel room prices are – and they can do the math of how the cost of individual rooms compare to an entire property with multiple rooms and bedrooms, cooking areas and leisure areas, greater privacy, more amenities etc… These majority of normal guests I’ve had also can judge what nice things are and can weigh rental cost vs various levels of ‘nice’ or even ‘high quality’ with fairness. Most realise that, since nice things cost more money, they would usually expect to pay more, but when they actually pay less than the going rate, they have been very appreciative this and seen it as Great Value. They have then also been more allowing with things that were not as perfect as it would be in a hotel room. 

Worryingly, however, I am seeing about 20-25% who not only expect far above the standard level, they expect to pay peanuts for it. And it’s always the ones who pay the lowest rates on highest season and get the most free perks and extra service… All three of my entitled, miserly raters have rented during the big holidays, but enjoyed standard season prices and/or big discounts. Still they expected more.

My Christmas and New Years guests were actually much worse guests, but it’s the family of 3 over Easter Week that has pushed me over to being vocal about my experience. I bent over backwards, which I always do – and am very happy to do for people who appreciate it – to be fair. In return, how hard is it to be fair and rate accordingly? Easter Guests wanted a place to store their bikes. The area is extremely safe, but I partially cleared out the detached garage/stables next to the house and provided a chainlink and lock.

They paid £63.29 per night! + a cleaning fee of £35 for the week. They begrudged the cleaning and Airbnb service charge. Even with those extra fees, their 11 year old child could figure out they paid far less than they would pay if they were paying the real price of a very well presented 2 bedroom cottage on a normal rental site, and also still much less than one room at the nearest hotel (certainly less than two rooms, or an extra large one for 3 people). But the price is even is quite a lot less than the other local B&B’s of a similar quality – which I wager are garage-free (and may or may not have new orthopaedic mattresses, unique pieces of art and hand carved beds).

Anyway. So, no acknowledgement for the extra effort with the garage or thanks for giving it to them at no extra cost. The garage is being used as storage for renovating stuff and general junk. So it is junky, but they wouldn’t have seen this junk if I didn’t give them free use of it! When I did the meet and greet I reminded the wife gently that the garage wasn’t part of the B&B property and asked if they could keep it out of their considerations when rating on cleanliness. Her response was in firm agreement… When it is time for rating she marks me off on ‘common areas’ as not being cleanly enough. Which common areas?? There are no ‘common areas’! Honestly, my own house is scheduled to be renovated and is an absolute mess, but they weren’t in my house and they didn’t rent my house. Their area and everything in it is spotless. Was it the overgrown nettles in the back? Not their property (and it is the countryside for goodness sake). For their comfort, I also went over while they were out and emptied and washed the composting container they requested especially when it was left outside and cleaned some fresh poop a wild pheasant left on their deck.

But still this wasn’t enough… I did have a worry in the bottom of my stomach after a variety of questions about free stuff I had to go through just to win the booking. Apparently, the husband gave her a budget and it went a bit over. How is that my problem? Or any B&B owners problem. They were also more than a little annoyed that the property is serviced by electric and oil heaters.

The property is professionally decorated and finished to a very high standard. The cottage certainly has its faults => But it is also a 2 bedroom, fully furnished, full cottage with loads of amenities, with its own gated driveway & private parking, private entrance and in a lovely area. They were 3 people. How is paying less than the cost of one room for 2 people, which is only finished to a mediocre / moderate standard, with street parking – on Easter – not seen a great value? This area actually has a few especially nice B&B’s, yet my B&B is also typically priced at 20%-40% less than these, because I don’t have the many ratings they have and recognise I need to put in the commitment before I can start commanding higher rates. Not with many more guests like these I won't. Ufff!

I don’t get how some people cannot grasp the concept of balance when weighing ratings.

I understand some are on a tight budget and don’t care about certain things when they are considering what ‘value’ means to them…. If they don’t care about fine quality furniture, expensive sheets, expensive towels, new, high-quality mattresses and little extras like handmade soap, homemade jam and cordial and free Netflix etc. etc. etc., fine – but why, why, why rent a property like mine? Go rent a motel or a hostel. Do a house trade. (I would say rent a caravan, but I noticed they and the corresponding sites can be fairly pricey.)… On the other hand, if their standard of luxury is so high that my luxury accommodation just doesn’t make the grade for them, again: why, why, why chose my property (or indeed any B&B)? Go drop thousands for suite at the Ritz Carlton (without the included kitchen, private parking, garage etc).

I wish Airbnb would support hosts by giving guests some friendly education on expectations (rather than continually offering hosts suggestions to push properties –  which are already very good value – down to absurdly low, unsustainable rates) because I really would like this to work, but honestly I cannot give any more than I am giving.

I’ve actually had suggestions for renting the entire property for £35! That’s the cost of one of my accommodation’s pillowcases. Apart from the few hosts who are just in it to meet people, who is going to offer luxury or even decent quality accomodation when it is impossible to justify financially with guests like this? (Sure we can choose to take the guidance or not, but it sets the tone.)

It is not all about money for me, or I would be offering a different type of accommodation. However, I do expect some reward for my time, money and talent invested.

The cottage is in a beautiful area. I’ve only had 11 bookings in 9 months, while local Superhosts are often booked. At this rate, even if I have a slightly busier summer, which seems unlikely, without the increased bookings Superhost apparently brings (and don’t include the cost of pieces of furniture and art I already had or the cost of my time with customer service) it will be 5 years before I break even on the money spent – about which time I will need to redecorate.

Again I am not saying my property is the end-all, highest echelon of all the accommodation world, but for what it is and the price it is, these people are out of touch. Their overly-critical, miserly ratings have bumped down my chances of Superhost and truthfully I feel cheated… Yes, I have lived long enough to know about market forces and that some people are just lacking in generosity even when they have received it.

In the end: If I was getting a little more exposure from Airbnb – instead of being plied with outrageously absurd price suggestions – then every single entitled cheapskate, who feels it’s just too much for them to give a great rating in return for the great quality and service they’ve had on balance, I suppose it wouldn’t matter so much about Superhost and could avoid guests who are only looking for the cheapest price. (Okay, I would be being disingenuous if I said I wouldn’t still take their ratings personally, because I do put my full heart into being a host it, but I wouldn’t matter as much without the financial sting.)

53 Replies 53
Ian-And-Anne-Marie0
Level 10
Kendal, United Kingdom

@Tatyana5 

This area actually has a few especially nice B&B’s, yet my B&B is also typically priced at 20%-40% less than these

You don't need to be the cheapest. If you raise your prices you might raise the quality of your guests and have guests who appreciate your space rather than begrudge paying. Being the cheapest makes you the first stop for the bottom feeders.

And if you rent a garage for guests' bikes - you could always add a charge!

Robin129
Level 10
Belle, WV

I agree you may want to tweak your prices a little. I survey the closest hotels (not many bnb in my area) consider how the room I offer is different, and what I offer in addition, and price close to them. 

You may also consider adjusting your listing description. Add a word or two that points out the small charms your place offers (what you call faults could be homey, retro, original). 

Also, add that cleaning into the rate. Don't break it out for guests to see. That isn't necessary in my opinion. You don't pay a separate fee to Hilton for cleaning. 

Lastly (and I speak as one who rants/vents as well) take a deep breath, shake it off, and move on. 🙂 

---> That's how I look at most guests, like cousins. And you know, some of those cousins are kooks.

Hi Robin,

Hahaha you are so funny (and kind). I am smiling reading your comments about cousins ;D

Because I'm not getting bookings at the comparable reasonable/realistic rate (and even getting very few bookings at the cheap rate) I don't know what to do about that. I figured if I got more reviews and also attained Superhost status I would getstart getting more bookings and be able to put my rate up to a realistic level... This is main gripe about the misers leaving their miserly stars –you know as if they are paying extra for them after they've had their star treatment– and pushing my rating down below the 4.8

About the cleaning fee:

I see your point about getting rid of the cleaning fee and raising the price. Cleaning takes a long time, but since it only needs to be done once per guest, it seemed fairer that short stays and long stays pay the same, with longer stays benefitting. I can see now its a mind trick with guests and isn't viewed as fairness, but a tax.

- do you offer just one day?

...I've been thinking of allowing 1 night stays (currently my minimum is 2). Hmmm, averaging in the price of cleaning for just 1 night would really boost the base price. 

- do you discount for multiple days?

Thanks Again. 🙂

Sorry to take so long, I don't check in every day.

I do mostly "1 night stands" because I'm not in an area where there is an attraction to keep people more than one. And, I only offer the 1 room, full sized bed, no kids, no pets. Sometimes it can be exhausting because you are flipping the room after every stay. I don't discount unless it's a longer term stay, like 7 nights. My rates aren't high enough to rationalize a discount. 

Incorporate that cleaning fee into the nightly rate, discount it off when you get longer bookings. 

I think you've already heard these things from other hosts but:

I LOVE that bed! I would make that your main photo! I'd dump the photos of the sheets, mattress, and pillows. As much as I like the photos maybe there are too many. I have never had anyone comment on the number of photos so I'm thinking most people will want to see a great shot of each room and maybe a shot or two of a detail here and there.

Use a real photo for yourself. I want to know who "you" really are. And maybe title the page "Luxurious Romantic Getaway - The Broken Dish Airbnb"

Just my opinions, might only be worth what you paid for them. 🙂

I do offer breakfast. I have a "mini continental" set up with a Kureg, a couple bagels, a couple English muffins, some dry cereal, a pint of juice and a pint of milk. Most people don't eat. Those who do think it's great. Sometimes I set out something I've baked. I get flowers that are marked down at the grocery store, trimp the stems, pull off wilted or brown petals, and set them out (I love having flowers and this gives me an excuse!) 

It's really just stuff we keep in the house. One or two servings shared with a guest isn't going to kill us. 

Go onto your listing every morning for two weeks and tweak a word or two in the description, shuffle your photos around and check your stats to see if you are getting more looks. You want the Airbnb computers to think your listing is active, not stale.

Keep me posted! I'd love to stay in touch!

---> That's how I look at most guests, like cousins. And you know, some of those cousins are kooks.

Hi Robin,

Thanks for these great suggestions. So far I have implemented a few of these, but weirdly I have had more bookings on Bookings, where I haven't even finished my listing properly for and have no ratings on believe it or not.... I am going to try the other platforms as well.

I added the cleaning fee into the price and raised the price. I was considering changing my photo but don't have a current one and thought adding a not-so-nice one would possibly make a worse impression (the current profile photo is actually really me in better days believe it or not ;'D , but I know what you mean to add a 'regular' photo).

I am also considering offering just one day, but hmmm. Are you getting lots guests only booking one day? (You know then you can't book the whole weekend in one go... and there's quite a lot of work for just one day... don't mind hard work, but I  imagine you know what I mean.)

For breakfast do you say you offer it? I do give them a fair selection of breakfast foods, plus drinks and snacks, but I am afraid to list it in case of the one time I cannot have it because the grocery delivery hasn't come and there's no time to get out (I am in the countryside). Hmmm I suppose I could just say sorry and give them money off if that happened, but then thought that might be more trouble than it's worth... Once again thinking -perhaps naively- people will appreciate getting more than they expected, extras for less/free etc.

Definitely keep in touch. :]

Tatyana

Regarding breakfast: 90% of our guests don’t touch the small amount that we offer.  We offer, coffee, tea and toast.  I think it is better to have very little, you don’t make more money by offering more.

Regarding price and number of bookings:  I have always allowed one night bookings.  We don’t charge a cleaning fee since I personally look for bnb’s with no cleaning fee when I am traveling.  It really depends on the area you are in.  We run a very busy bnb and have to turn rooms practically every day.  I don’t put a ton of effort into “all the extras” because in my area it won’t add to the amount I can charge per night but we usually have about an 85% occupancy rate.  I Buy good quality linens but do it by  carefully shopping at good 2nd hand stores.  We modified the home to be able to add another bedroom because we host private rooms with shared community spaces and each bedroom is a separate Airbnb listing.  If ever someone leaves me a less than great review I usually reply with gracious comments.  I lost superhost status because our neighborhood is urban and run down and Airbnb changed their standards, but we have over 800 reviews at 4.7 stars. I can’t do anything about the neighborhood.  Good luck to you, you have to run it like a business.

@Tatyana5 , I just had a couple complain about the fact that I didn't have a lounge etc (which I never claimed), and they bitched about the cleaning fee. I had already give them the usual "nice communicators, clean, recommended" etc and they slammed me for stuff beyond my scope. Their private comments basically demanded I rebuild to suit their needs. I gave a sharp public reply because people who read reviews expect idiots and appreciate a jstified response.

Regarding gaining Superhost: 

* Offer 1 night stays until you reach the numbers for Superhost, then do minimum 3 nights. Tough out the cleaning..

* Discounting, use 3% (say for 5 days) then 5% (say for 7 days). Its nothing really. Avoid 10%.

* Check local pricing as advised above, keep to the high range, however I actually recommend the cleaning fee because you get the initial clicks on a lower fee.

* Restrict food to what suits you to supply. Uncomplicate things.

* I was going to say 'photography' but your place is lovely, almost worth visiting the Old Dart.

Cheers & keep up the good work.

Charles

Hi Charles! :))

Thank you so much for your helpful recommendations.  (Sorry this response is pretty late, but you are no less appreciated. Heehe :D)

Oddly enough I just now changed to allow 1 day bookings and added back the cleaning fee.

They nice ones are lovely, but silly ones really do get me down, especially when I baby them so much and I am making about half of what I would to rent it out long term – without all the investment in furnishings, extra costs and time.

I am going to check your tips about discount levels. Thanks also for your kind words about my place. {I will add your property to a to favorites list. Every little bit helps 🙂 }

Tatyana

Ian-And-Anne-Marie0
Level 10
Kendal, United Kingdom

@Tatyana5 Your space is fabulous! I couldn't look earlier but it is unique. Why you think local B&B's are your competition - I don't know! It's more like a boutique hotel.

I would promote the romantic break aspect more if I were you - you already mention it but you don't play on it, change your photos to include interiors with horizontal aspect rather than those vertical's because the photos look cramped, and get some local views in there too.

Don't let a few guests' reviews get you down, you've got a great place there.

Ian & Anne-Marie, Thank you so much  for your reply and thank you for your sweet words!

That's great advice about the 'romantic' positioning. When I added that word to my descriptor it did help, but I held back because I wasn't sure if it would turn families off.  I try will focusing a bit more on that. Thanks 😄

It is a bit of a conundrum on the price...

Initially, I had it at the same rate as other local listings on the platform of a similar type to mine, but have had no bookings at that rate. I have only had bookings on main holidays and late last summer when I started. But also I only achieved those bookings in tandem with agreeing to Airbnb's own special offers and/or after dropping my base rate... Meanwhile, the other nice B&B's always seem to be booked (as they all have many reviews,  I imagine they must be actual bookings rather than it being hosts blocking as unavailable).

I have heard once you get Superhost bookings dramatically go up. So that's the main reason for my sensitivity about the miserly ratings.

As far as the boutique hotel positioning:

I guess that's part of my gripe... I know there are things I should improve if I want to compete at that level (improving hot water pressure/output, landscaping, wood framed double glazing) so I haven't tried to be too big for my boots. Hehehe. On the other hand, If and when I did go that route the price would have to be much more.

I think I naively believed everyone would see they were getting close to that boutique hotel sort of level at a bargain price and really appreciate that. Most guests really do seem to see it this way and have been lovely. It's just that awful 20-25% - bottom feeders as you say.

I won't pretend I wouldn't still care from a sentimental perspective (I think most people here really care about what they do and want to feel their efforts are appreciated)... But honestly, its the double smack that hurts more >> getting zero bookings on the higher, but still reasonable B&B style rate other similar properties are charging – and on top of that even getting few at a cheap rate.

Anyway thanks so much for the support. Your kind words cheered me up. 0;)

@Tatyana5 

Thanks for your detailed reply. I think you summed up the efforts and angst hosts suffer over their accomodation and the frustrations that the guest community don't have the insight to realise a bargain when they see one.

You have had 12 reviews already and you are struggling with about 2-3 sets of guests. Put in perspective, thats pretty good!

The only way of marketing something so close is to look at your offering from behind the eyes of who your potential guest might be. Romantic break and family don't sit together very well in that respect.

B&B's normally cater for one or two guests. You cater for three. Might you change your offering to 2 guests + 1 with the +1 as an additional guest and charge and leave your existing charges the way you already have them? That way, your headline cost doesn't change but you will get more for families? You will have to make this clear in your listing so that the expectation of the guest is that they're not booking for 3.

Can you reduce your offering? Especially with your Adult dressing gowns for every guest - you really need to recoup that cost from somewhere or not offer it at all because as you're finding the cost is not being recouperated financially or even from appreciation of that 20-25%.

I only achieved those bookings in tandem with agreeing to Airbnb's own special offers and/or after dropping my base rate... Meanwhile, the other nice B&B's always seem to be booked (as they all have many reviews,  I imagine they must be actual bookings rather than it being hosts blocking as unavailable).

Hold your nerve.... Booking a group of 2 or 3 can be whimsical, sometimes maybe only booking 2/3 weeks ahead, if competitor ABB's get booked - that leaves yours the only available accomodation, it doesn't make sense to reduce prices as you should then be holding a higher value commodity. Contrary to that, could you make your listing available longer in advance to get early bookers as well? Wedding bookers might need to book longer in advance.

Given time you'll work your way around your issues even though you might not think so at the moment.

Thanks Ian & Anne Marie,

I didn't realise you were in the UK! I saw your lovley house and added it to my favourites and as a friend here 😄

Do you mean to list my property as just for 2 people in the listing and then in the back end and add a higher price for each additional person??

How do you feel about one-day bookings? Do you tell guests that ratings mean a lot (even in a sweet & light way)?

With the robes, I figure I might as well continue to offer them as there is just washing them now that they are purchased... Funnily enough, I actually also purchased child-sized robes for the Easter Guests for whom paying travel hostel prices per room just wasn't good value enough. So it's a little later there as well 😛

I could cut the other extras I don't mention in the listing (like I give breakfast foods, drinks and snacks, jams, handmade soaps, candles, incense etc... and there's free Netflix which I do mention which  ). I dunno 😞 kind of like doing that, but it is true that it's extra cost when I'm still far from even breaking even on the venture. 

x

Tatyana

@Tatyana5 

Do you mean to list my property as just for 2 people in the listing and then in the back end and add a higher price for each additional person??

How do you feel about one-day bookings? Do you tell guests that ratings mean a lot (even in a sweet & light way)?

Competition for 2 person accomodation is brutal. In order to compete you either do it on price or 'exclusivity'. I think your listing deserves to compete on 'exclusivity'. You already have the low-down on the price crowd and you realise to avoid them, so I would suggest you emphasise the 'special break' aspect of your 'exclusive' accomodation.

I never mention star ratings. You might do it in your sweet and light way, but your listing should already be getting you in the 5* listings without any encouragement. All you need is the right people and your problem is that you're attracting the wrong people.

In answer to your question - yes. Major yourlisting for 2 people. Romantic breaks won't be looking for 3. However, do list for 3 as your maximum occupancy but explain that the cost advertised is for two and the 'extra' 1 is at additional cost which you can set up in your 'additional charges' settings. Nobody goes to a B&B for a romantic break, so stop competing with those. Your listing provides a whole private environment which a B&B doesn't and couldn't even compete with in uniqueness. Thats what your guests are buying. Exclusive, Romantic privacy in a unique setting.

I would steer clear of 1 night bookings. I'd rather have 2 nights at only 1.5x the cost of 1 night. (You won't want two 1 night stays together with your type of property - too much work). So set your charges accordingly. If you advertise 'cheap nights' make sure you set your minimum stay to 2 or 3 nights. Definitely minimise on 2 nights. Its just the same work for you as 1 night. Typically a weekend away - turn up late on Friday, stay Saturday, leave Sunday morning.

Theres a saying in business and marketing which goes - when other people 'Zig' you need to 'Zag'. You need to find 'Zag' for your listing.

'Zag' might be:

Charging for your 'Luxury Robes'

Adding a 'Pamper Pack"

Providing "Fresh Oyster Afrodisiac Platter" (you can do something like that easily where you're based).

An open Fire.

Providing Cycle storage....

Some of those can be additional charges.

Believe this... Whatever you provide for free will be taken as expected and never considered as an additional benefit. If you call in personally and give it to guests then you will have given no more but be perceived as a providing a gracious gift.

I hope some of that helps.