What does "no smoking" mean???

Answered!
Willow3
Level 10
Coupeville, WA

What does "no smoking" mean???

So, I'm left wondering... when I listed my property and check "no smoking" - that meant to me, that there was to be no smoking, inside or out.  But as I read the forums, many interpret it to mean no smoking indoors only.  

I just had a guest chain smoke on the patio - and I feel he didn't follow the house rules.  But maybe I'm alone in this thinking?

1 Best Answer
Natasha3
Level 2
San Francisco, CA

My listing says "No smoking anywhere on the property" but in my house manual I specify Not in the hallway, not on the porch, not by the window. 

Some people willingly on unwillingly interpret "property" the way it suits them, so it's better to specify to avoid unnecessary confrontation. Our house layout is such that the porch is right below my windows so all that smoke and stench gets inside.

View Best Answer in original post

73 Replies 73
Willow3
Level 10
Coupeville, WA

Thanks for chiming in.  It seems "no smoking" is open to interpretation.  Though with these particular guests, I don't think they care.  I can't prove it, but I'm pretty sure they smoked in the room too.  The rubbish bin was filled with butts... and if the ones smoked outdoors where deposited in the fire pit - I don't believe for a second they carried half of them inside, to put in the rubbish bin.  

*heads off to the make the no smoking rule much more explicit and obvious*

Hi @Willow3 I feel your pain. This caught us off-guard too. We thought "No Smoking" meant no smoking anywhere, and were in the same boat as you the first time we had guests who smoked. They did have the courtesy to smoke outside thankfully but, because I hadn't provided any ashtrays or sand buckets, there were cigarette butts everywhere. UGH. I've since modified our listing to say smoking is allowed outside only - we have an acreage & if I said no smoking anywhere on the property I know they would do it anyway. No problems since I put the sand buckets & ashtrays outside. - Karen

Farah1
Level 10
Seattle, WA

@Willow3 since there is no detailed definition on the website, I updated my house rules regarding smoking. This is what I have > • No smoking/vaping of any kind anywhere on the property

Kati18
Level 7
Vancouver, Canada

In my building it's against the strata bylaws to smoke anywhere on common property or within 6 feet of any window or opening.  So I have to be very specific because I don't want to get fined.  So my house rules state "there is no smoking or vaping in the building/apartment or any outdoor common space, including the balcony".

So far I've been lucky - the only smells I've had to deal with are excessive cologne and a bit of body odor.  Those are a little harder to put in the house rules.

Edy1
Level 2
Thompson's Station, TN

Hahahaha

Ethna1
Level 1
Great Sankey, United Kingdom

I don't want smokers at all, if they are a heavy smoker their clothes smell and they transfer this smell on to cushions, bedding and dressing gowns, even if they smoke outside it drifts round the premises, 

Gordon0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

My listing is - I think - very clear in that smokers are not welcome. I don't want their hair on my pillows or their clothes in my wardrobe. 

Ex-smokers are the worst, and I know it. 

Annette76
Level 10
Cherry Log, GA

I’m a former smoker who absolutely loved smoking when I did. I quit many years ago and have become super sensitive to smoke in the ensuing years. So much so that a plumber was at our house and was outside smoking and stopped me to give me an update on the repairs and such. After about 5 minutes I had to bolt into the house to throw up. My husband was cracking up as the plumber felt so bad and kept apologizing. 

At my rental I’m going to list it as non smoking but will designate that smoking is allowed out where the fire pit is, but they must be sure to dispose of butts appropriately. I will have a few metal buckets with sand in them for this purpose. My issue with the butts is due to my pets, not being around cigarettes means my dogs would probably pick one up and try to eat it if they found one. Nicotine can be toxic to dogs so I will be adamant on this one! 

I have a screened porch on the cabin, but there is furniture with fabric out there so I don’t want the smell to get in there! 

Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

Hi,

It's not only about the smoking itself, also about the smoking guest's behaviour which i don't want to see around my house, even if it is not my property. Like: guests very frequently moving in/out the house, also on strange hours, walking up and down the patio or street, hidden somewhere in the (dark) garden, continuesly returning with dirty shoes, more risk of complaining  neighbours, an unsafe feeling when it is in the late hours, etc..  So for me: No smokers.

Best regards,

Emiel

Ummm—I think your experience of smokers is very limited! 😂

Dirty shoes? Have you ever seen the film _Breakfast at Tiffany’s_? I assure you, Audrey Hepburn’s shoes are immaculate.

Allison116
Level 10
Walnut Creek, CA

To me, no smoking means no smoking.  It is only "open to interpretation" for those that want to smoke and come up with an excuse or loophole to do so.  Given that, be as clear as possible.  In my house rules I specify that there is no smoking inside and no smoking outside anywhere on the property including the front, back and side yards.  

Zvi1
Level 1
Boston, MA

Are e-cigarrette included in "no smoking"?

Thank you for whatever input you can provide

Brandon182
Level 1
Brussels, Belgium

I've just had occasion to ask this same question.. I clearly checked the "No smoking" box and have a guest who has asked whether she can smoke on the balcony or terrace. The problem--not addressed by any of the comments I've seen here yet--is that the smoke doesn't stay outside. The balcony doors don't have handles outside so you can't really close them, and in the summer, without air conditioning, all the windows are open anyway and the wind blows the smoke back inside. Given this, I am going to amend my listing to very clearly say in ALL CAPS "NO SMOKING ANYWHERE ON THE PROPERTY". If someone really needs to smoke they can go downstairs and outside like with any bar or office building. 

Virginia246
Level 2
Bellevue, WA

My listing indicates 'no smoking' but in 'house rules' I say that smoking is okay on the (large) porch, and I have an ashtray out there (which I ensure is cleaned between visits).  The home is in a rural area so second-hand smoke isn't a concern.  

Marcelle-and-Davog0
Level 2
Rio de Janeiro, BR

Ok, so my listing has "Smoking allowed" because I don't mind people smoking in my veranda – that's what every guest who smokes has done (and they often ask me before they do). But a recent guest smoked every day inside his room. It wouldn't occur to me that someone would do that, and it pissed me off. Was I crazy to think people wouldn't smoke inside their rooms where's ample outdoor space?