What questions do you ask prior to approving a booking?

Denise1937
Level 1
Minneapolis, MN

What questions do you ask prior to approving a booking?

What questions do you ask prior to approving a booking? I just booked my first guest. Of course I want to avoid issues and damage to the property. Looking for best practices to do so. 

[Title modified by OCM]

22 Replies 22
Robert8341
Level 2
Bucharest, Romania

Hello @Denise1937 

usually I am reading the reviews from other hosts and I have set minimum 2 nights because usually, the ones that are coming for 1 night it is only for pleasure! I am trying to avoid this kind of people!

Regards!

Raelene14
Level 2
Swan Hill, Australia

Hi Denise,

Usually a guest will message me they are coming for work or other reasons given. I check first if they have reviews. If so, I accept the booking and ask if they require 1 or 2 rooms.

If they have no reviews I acknowledge that to them "it looks like you are new to Airbnb and have no reviews yet. I'm sure you won't  mind if i ask a few more questions to qualify you as a guest before I accept. Are you aware of and read my house rules and the Airbnb policies of no parties?  What brings you to town? How many rooms do you require?" ... My questions vary but this is the essence...

I usually get details...but if they don't reply I let the booking lapse with time rather than decline. 

Good luck with it all

Raelene

Raluca54
Level 2
Myrtle Beach, SC

Hello Denise ! 
Great topic !  I honestly don’t think there is  a straight strategy for this concern .
I always came with a different approach to my guests that had no reviews previously. It wasn’t a question it was more like a kind but strict direction . I don’t have a template but something like this:  

“ Thank you for choosing to stay at casa Luna . We are excited to host you and hope you will have an amazing time because we put a lot of love and energy into turning this location into a place that we treasure. We kindly need you to read the house rules and give us your acceptance . We want to leave great reviews to all of our guests:)   

I get pictures of my location from the housekeeping between the guests just in case there are any damages after any check outs . 

What also put my concerns at peace was investing in an RING camera for outside ( right on the entrance door) 

Maybe the Airbnb team can help us facilitate this concern by automatically sending the new guest ( guests with no prior reviews) the house rules prior to their arrival. 
Hope this helps 🙂

Sheila262
Level 2
Heber City, UT

My first message to a guest is to say that I am very excited to meet and host them. I always inquire/ ask the question as what brings them to our beautiful valley so I can provide the best experience as possible. I like to be able to make suggestions based on their interests whether it is helping them rent snowmobile or go horseback riding etc.

Razvan46
Level 2
Pângărăcior, Romania

Hello Denise,

If your propriety,house rules and local guidance are well and comprehensive described, normaly they book directly, there aren't questions. There is an exemption, "how many people are you"?. Sometimes guests escalade the specificed no. of persons you allowe, if the host doesn't ask. Normaly guests asks and hosts answer. Regards, Razvan.

Sheri7
Level 3
Ventura, CA

I always greet the guest and ask them what brings them to my town. Then I ask the crucial question….Do you agree to my house rules? 
I’ve been hosting for 10 years…it weeds out guests that might be be a good fit. 

Rose422
Level 9
Fort Lauderdale, FL

Hi Denise, 

I usually don't ask any questions, I approve all requests with no exception. 

The reason I do it as a super host is because I do not wish to discriminate for anything. If however I notice that the guest has negative reviews I pay attention to details. This is when I expand on my welcome message and checkin info. If the guest was not tidy, I simply add a line how I put a lot of effort in making sure the listing is sparkling clean for all guests and how I appreciate when guests treat the place with respect. If I see guests broke house rules I say that I live aboard next door and if there is anything I can do to make their stay a memorable experience they can always let me know. This gives them an impression that I am a responsible host. I also add that I wish to continue hosting on my boats long term and residential apartments overlook the boats. If I notice guests are noisy I would send them a message about quiet hours and that resident complaints will not allow me to host in such unique listings and airbnb will be banned in the area, so that they get the message. I never make it personal to guests but I always amplify the area I need them to pay attention to and I emphasize how important it is, only if I notice something is wrong. I had spring breakers tell me they are traveling for work and I noticed it was the case, I had a lot of extra guests and alcohol bottles onboard, but I noticed they are still respectful as guests. If you make an impression that you are a responsible host and you absolutely care, all guests will become responsible guests that care. Guests with no reviews are great as you can learn a lot from them. As hosts we should always make continuous improvements based on feedback. Believe it or not, if you ask first time guests how you can improve hosting experience for other travelers, they will share something valuable. I do this usually after all stays, but if I see guests around during their stay I ask how is everything going and if they found everything they needed onboard. I never concentrate on the negative. 

Wish you best of luck with hosting. 

Rose. 

Greg2406
Level 10
Rockport, TX

@Denise1937 

We remember how excited we were for our first booking.  Several excellent comments in the replies.  

We had to become Olympic level vetters after we had a 33% Guest damage rate during the first two months of operations.   But here are a few suggestions that hopefully will help you have the best guests.   

During the booking, look at the guests rating and comments by other Hosts.   Initially, we had 'instant booking' turned on.   On Month 3 it went OFF for good.  The Guests must make a booking request.  

Vetting; Prior to accepting (or declining) a booking, and after exchanging pleasantry's and during the request period, we always ask the perspective guests a few simple questions.  And it doesn't matter if they have a 5 star rating or they are new to the platform with little or no reviews; ask questions like: Is there a special occasion for coming,  Where are you coming in from (we don't allow local bookings aka parties),  How many will be coming down with you.   Each situation is different, but always get them to reply on the platforms message board and quickly answer the replies.   You want Guests that reply quickly while elaborating on their reasons for coming.    Let them know we are looking forward to their visit.  

Set your cancelation policy to Firm.    Require all guests to take out damage insurance.  The amount they pay is 100% refundable should they not cause damages.   Any Guest that questions the damage insurance,...red flag.  Go with intuition, if something doesn't feel right then it's probably not.  Never be hesitant to reject a booking. 

Never, and we do mean never, accept a third party booking, that holds true for guests that can't make it but wants their significant others, or cousins, or whomever to come.   We always make the guest that booked the reservation cancel and have the new Guest make the request to rebook.  Vet the new individuals the same as you would the original Guest.   Keep in mind that if you ever accept what is considered a third party booking, it is a violation of the platforms policy and any damage claims, insured or not, may be declined.  

And by all means, have a well crafted set of House Rules that the Guest must sign before being allowed into the property.   Mention in your property listing description that the Guest signature on the House Rules is required prior to access to the property.  Once we had the rules in place our incident/damage rate dropped to less than 2%. 

Lots of additional info that I will be glad to IM you, including a very good set of House Rules.