Why do guest not look at the Check-in instructions?

Tony134
Level 10
Sarasota, FL

Why do guest not look at the Check-in instructions?

My check-in instructions are unfortunately broken.  No matter what I do, send a picture, ask, beg, demand, less than 30% of my guests are finding the 'Check-In Instructions.'  They are actually hurting my listing more than helping if they are there but not used because I don't message all that info instead.

There is only one solution I've come up with, Airbnb needs to let you drop a link to check-in instructions in the message field.  I have tried sending a picture showing that you can click on them on the Trip Page, but apparently people are just trying to click on the picture, so why not have it be a link?  Then it would go something like this:

"Thanks for booking with me!  The check in instructions below will have everything you need to make sure you get in the house ok and that you're parked in the right place.  Please let me know if you have any questions about parking before arriving at the property.

*link* "

Boom, gigantic problem solved.  Sigh.

26 Replies 26

@Coln0  Thank you for sharing! I did not know this key feature existed! I have my check in instructions as a saved message template and have been sending that through the message app each time a guest is checking in that day. 

Some guests dont know how to use the app well and only about 1/2 check-in on the app, however that is more user knowledge. 

Thank you!

This key button is now there exactly because of this thread.  This thread predates that button.  😉

Davina8
Level 6
Wellington, New Zealand

Thank you so much for taking the time to write this post, I found it very helpful 

Chuck1
Level 2
Santa Cruz, CA

OK, I thought I was losing my mind. This morning I distinctly remembered being asked for images and descriptions of how to check-in to one of my rentals. This afternoon I went online and could not find anything that resembled what I saw this morning. Turns out, this morning I was using the App, and this afternoon I was using the website. What a cluster! 

I find the concept of taking someone step-by-step through the check-in process to be an outstanding customer service. Why they only allow you to do this with the app is beyond frustrating. At least I am not losing my marbles...

Chuck

Gina32
Level 10
Bridport, Australia

I totally agree. Most guests recently, cannot find the self check in details despite me going to all lengths to ensure the process runs smoothly. Yes it is impacting my business. Most guests are not English speakers eithe which makes it twice as difficult.

Airbnb please do something urgently.

I have even sent the help desk a message and I just get the standard reply "We will send the information through the the department"

Come on this used to be so easy, guests never had any problem before. DO something NOW please.

Thank you.

I left a lengthy message at the bottom of the thread about this. 

Jacques609
Level 1
Charlotte, NC

That key button is not showing up on my messenger. Is there a reason why?

Same for me! It disappeared as well...! @Airbnb could you help us? 

Same as me, bring back the key @Airbnb , my guests are not able to find the check in instructions, the key was perfect 

Jon2860
Level 1
Cheltenham, United Kingdom

The removal of the key feature is causing me a lot of drama. Guests do not read the check in instructions that are sent to them, and now I'n not able to give them a link to the instructions when they inevitably message me outside the building struggling to get inside. Please reinstate the feature @Airbnb 

Eric4290
Level 2
Hollis, NH

I send a detailed PDF to their private email they use with AirBnB - its very detailed and that has links to Youtube videos on how to use the automated door lock (no key) and how to use the other appliances, sauna etc

I do wish AirBnB would allow messaging and be able to send a PDF. When you do send them an email with your PDF, make sure you send them a message on AirBnB as well to remind them to check their email and confirm they received the manual. Some folks signup and never check the email they use with AirBnB

Nicholas828
Level 2
Tucson, AZ

I disagree strongly with many of these responses. Your payment as a host is only protected if you keep all communication on the Airbnb Platforms. I never email, call or text outside the platforms.

As for many guests not being able to locate self check-in instructions.  I use this work around. 

My house rules state that I do not offer Airbnb Tech Support and guests having trouble with the platforms are to contact Airbnb. 

Under "check-in Method" I select "OTHER" then I added. "Guests will be using the app integrated Self-Check-In Instructions. CONTACT AIRBNB SUPPORT IF YOU NEED HELP LOCATING THEM."

Even if you have a smart lock, lockbox, etc. if you put the code in "Check-in Method" guests skip over finding Self-Check-In Instructions. 

As host we shouldn't have to communicate outside the app or give tech support. I do neither. I Stick to the app and direct guests to take grievances up with Airbnb. The more guests contact Airbnb saying they can't find Self-Check-In Instructions the faster Airbnb will correct the issue. 

If you get a bad review on Check-in and the guests messaged in the App saying they couldn't find instructions and you advised them to contact Airbnb for Tech Support. That means it's a review without a fair/valid experience and can be removed. Guests inability to navigate the Airbnb Platform is not something they can take out on you. 

Stick to directing everyone to the Self-Check-In Instructions and if they can't find them direct them to Airbnb.