Worried about a retaliation review

Answered!
Paul75
Level 3
Reading, United Kingdom

Worried about a retaliation review

So I have just had two guest's stay and to my mistake they person making the booking was booking on behalf of the guests

So the AirBNB account owner is the wife and the guest staying was her husband and a colleague. 

She had good reviews and yes it was a mistake to let a 3rd party booking take place.

When I came home to the property late last night I found the top floor window wide open.

So they had checked out and not even mentioned that they had a issue with the window! ( i sprayed some WD40 on it to loosen it up) 

But im shocked they didn't even care to tell me even though my rules ask them to shut all windows and doors

I was shocked and worried that my house had been burgled. This area has it's issues and opportunists are always on the look out to steal something. They could of easily of placed a ladder up against the window and stole many valuable items. 

This is a big lesson learnt and I won't ever do third party bookings again.

The problem now is that she has left a review and I know it won't be positive even though I have done nothing wrong!

I think AirBNB review system is flawed as it's impossible to leave negative reviews without the guest retaliating so many hosts and guests don't leave negative reviews and you end up with  fake platform. 

Not sure what to do in this situation ?

1 Best Answer
Helen3
Top Contributor
Bristol, United Kingdom

@Paul75 I don't understand your point about reviews . As you know reviews are left blind so guests and hosts can't do retaliate as they don't know what the other party is going to say.

personally I don't accept third party bookings .

just leave an honest review .

View Best Answer in original post

5 Replies 5
Mike-And-Jane0
Top Contributor
England, United Kingdom

@Paul75 I really don't see the relevance of the 3rd party bit. We were never paranoid about this when hosting not least because you can often not tell if it is a third party or not.

On the review system it is blind so reviews can be left honestly and it will not impact the review you get.

@Mike-And-Jane0  actually the 3rdy party bit is relevant as they go against AirBNB T&C's

https://www.airbnb.co.uk/help/article/427?_set_bev_on_new_domain=1722423709_EAOWJiNTI1YTIyY2 I won't be doing them again. I would imagine if the worst case scenario if my house had been burgled that my home insurance would not have cover it and neither would AirBNB so clearly its relevant. However I won't be doing any more in future. We have now left each other reviews. 

Mike-And-Jane0
Top Contributor
England, United Kingdom

@Paul75 There is lots on Airbnb that says guests shouldn't book for a 3rd party. There is nothing that says hosts are not covered if a guest has broken these rules. Having seen how hard it is for some guests to get their ID verified we always accepted 3rd party bookings from partners and children booking on behalf of their partners/parents respectively.

Sorry if i'm being thick but are you referring to "Air Cover" what do you mean "a host is not covered" AirCover doesn't insurance your property that is what your home insurance is for?  it's liability insurance for your guest.  I'm not sure how I would explain to my home insurance company how I had a random person staying in my home who I  had no idea who they where. I couldn't seep at night knowing that much each to there own. 

Helen3
Top Contributor
Bristol, United Kingdom

@Paul75 I don't understand your point about reviews . As you know reviews are left blind so guests and hosts can't do retaliate as they don't know what the other party is going to say.

personally I don't accept third party bookings .

just leave an honest review .