have you tried to cross- sell services to guests?

Answered!
Vivek72
Level 2
Jersey City, NJ

have you tried to cross- sell services to guests?

Curious to know if have anyone has tried cross-selling services (for a fee) to guests.

Some that come to my mind are providing

1. Pack of groceries, fresh flowers when the guests arrive
  2. Curating options from small businesses like vineyards etc
  3. Selling goods that you can make yourself - paintings, mugs, decor etc
  4. Rentals (Bike,kayak, ATV) for a fee
  5. Specialty services of a private chef, dog training etc

1 Best Answer
Lorna170
Level 10
Swannanoa, NC

@Vivek72  Thought about it... but

1.  Will your guests pay for your time to shop, package and deliver on top of the cost of the goods provided?  What if they have special needs -- soy milk, gluten free, kosher, etc.?  Are there any laws governing these services in your area?  I cannot offer food for free or for a fee without a bed and breakfast license or catering license in my area.

2.  Happy to be an advertiser -- leaving out business cards, etc.  

3.  Had some mugs with the name of our property and town on them -- they just "walked out the door" as our guests thought they were free souvenirs.

4.  Bike, Kayak, ATV etc. rentals come with prohibitive insurance costs and are not covered by AirBnB's AirCover or by my rental property insurance.  

5.  My property is simply not luxurious enough to attract guests who want a private chef or who have money to spend on specialty services...

Good luck with your ideas!

View Best Answer in original post

6 Replies 6
Dawn241
Level 10
Sierra Vista, AZ

I have not. It’s my second home so it’s always fully stocked in kitchen and bath. People usually come to bisbee for a weekend event or sightseeing and don’t spend much time in the house other than shower and sleep. we have a visitors guide with sections on shopping, dining, and sightseeing. We want them to go out and spend money in the local stores and restaurants. 

Lorna170
Level 10
Swannanoa, NC

@Vivek72  Thought about it... but

1.  Will your guests pay for your time to shop, package and deliver on top of the cost of the goods provided?  What if they have special needs -- soy milk, gluten free, kosher, etc.?  Are there any laws governing these services in your area?  I cannot offer food for free or for a fee without a bed and breakfast license or catering license in my area.

2.  Happy to be an advertiser -- leaving out business cards, etc.  

3.  Had some mugs with the name of our property and town on them -- they just "walked out the door" as our guests thought they were free souvenirs.

4.  Bike, Kayak, ATV etc. rentals come with prohibitive insurance costs and are not covered by AirBnB's AirCover or by my rental property insurance.  

5.  My property is simply not luxurious enough to attract guests who want a private chef or who have money to spend on specialty services...

Good luck with your ideas!

Thanks for your thoughtful reply Lorna! 

I was thinking that I could just list couple of these services somewhere and share the link with the guests. If they are interested, they can buy and I can service or local business can. Either ways, guests can benefit from the service while I make some extra money from the booking.

PS - atleast the guest would know that the mug isn't free!  

Helen3
Top Contributor
Bristol, United Kingdom

Yes hosts do. Are you thinking of becoming a host @Vivek72 ?

Yes, @Helen3  - thinking of buying a holiday home / airbnb. Curious how you have approached these services?

Helen3
Top Contributor
Bristol, United Kingdom

no @Vivek72