using paypal as payment but paypal not using my preferred payment method (i.e. credit card) instead it withdraw from bank acct

Wen3379
Level 1
Englishtown, NJ

using paypal as payment but paypal not using my preferred payment method (i.e. credit card) instead it withdraw from bank acct

I often use Paypal as my payment method when purchasing things online so I don't have to enter credit card information. In Paypal, I have the preferred payment method using a credit card. I do also have my bank account linked to Paypal but I never use that as the payment method. Things have always worked correctly where online purchase always charged to my credit card so I can keep earning 2% from the credit card company. But to my surprise, 3 recent AirBnB transactions (all within this week) that I choose to use Paypal as the payment method, Paypal withdrew cash directly from my linked bank account but not charged to my linked credit card. I only notice this until today (Friday evening) when I checked my bank activities. Fortunately, I have enough buffers in the account. I immediately went to AirBnB and changed the remaining payment using a credit card. I just wonder if anyone has encountered this same AirBnB/Paypal payment issue like I described above.

Thanks!

6 Replies 6
Paula
Community Manager
Community Manager
Port Moody, Canada

Hello @Wen3379, welcome to the Airbnb Community Center.

I did a search in the community using the keyword "PayPal," and >here< are the conversations that our Hosts have had related to the topic. It might be worth taking a look to see if anyone else has faced the same situation.

Please feel free to change the keywords to explore more discussions.

I hope this helps.

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Por favor consulta las Normas de la comunidad

Simon4529
Level 2
Mount Martha, Australia

Had this exact same issue today, which has now cost me overdrawn fees with my bank.

Is there an explanation??

Sherwin22
Level 1
Meridian Charter Township, MI

The same thing has happened to me even though within Paypal, my general preferred mode of payment is selected as my card.

I noticed that under the Airbnb automatic payments section WITHIN Paypal, the preferred method was selected as my bank. Apparently, you can select the preferred mode of payment for transactions for each business/company (ex: AirBnb, Doordash, etc..)

I have changed it to use my card for AirBnb transactions via Paypal but I have not confirmed if that has fixed it.

This just happened to me yesterday! Thank you Sherwin, i just made the update in PayPal. Your reply was extremely helpful, thank you so much!

Jennifer4776
Level 1
Providence, RI

YES, this has happened to me twice in the past month. After it happened the first time, I checked settings in PayPal and Airbnb, all looked fine, and then it happened again today!!!! This is NOT helpful for vacation budgeting.  Fix this, AirBNB or PayPal....not sure where the glitch is!!!

Orit255
Level 1
United States

thank you for posting this issue! same thing just happened to me and with Sherwin's help below managed to change the default for autopay within PayPal to my credit card!