HOT TUB guidance - should I add one or it's a hassle?

Answered!
Michael5047
Level 6
West Palm Beach, FL

HOT TUB guidance - should I add one or it's a hassle?

I would like to add a hot tub in the backyard of one of my new 1 BD listings...but after reading some community center posts I'm hesitating now...these are my concerns:

-I can only hire a company to go once a week to do the maintenance. 

-I can install it in the backyard and some cameras will face the hot tub. I don't want my listing to be blocked because of this.

What do you guys think?

Any other advice would be much appreciated.

Mike from West Palm
1 Best Answer
Ruth413
Level 10
Moreton, United Kingdom

@Michael5047   We have Hot Tubs at both our listings and yes, people do book because of the Hot Tubs.

An absolute No to cameras overlooking the Hot Tub.

Re maintenance we are on site hosts and check the Hot Tubs everyday including the chemical levels.  We have found from experience this is necessary as it only take one person to get in with Shampoo in the hair or fake tan on or sun lotion to absolutely ruin the water and draining and refilling to be required.    Also one sprung a leak and when I checked, it was only 3/4 full.  If the guests had used it they would have blown the motors.  So I think maintenance only once a week could cause you a lot of potential problems.

Re cost, yes you can charge more as you are adding a rather costly amenity.  But with the horrific electricity costs at the moment, I am not sure if this is the right time to have a hot tub !

You also need a large back up supply of chemicals, filters, parts etc.

Hope this helps.

View Best Answer in original post

7 Replies 7
Pat271
Level 10
Greenville, SC

@Michael5047 

Do you have to have cameras? I would be self-conscious if I were a guest having cameras pointed at me in a hot tub.

As far as whether it’s worth it, you have to decide whether you will get enough increased bookings and guest satisfaction to warrant the maintenance,  repairs, and downtime that might disappoint the next guest who might be expecting the amenity. Hard to quantify that. Maybe you won’t know unless you try, but in general I tend to minimize extra mechanical equipment in my rentals, as such things do tend to make hosting more complicated.

Unless your guests are screaming for one, perhaps best skip the entire complicated hassle (and liability).

A BBQ / Q2000 combination given you have a cool outdoor table already there? Add an umbrella for more sexiness.

Inna22
Level 10
Chicago, IL

@Michael5047 I do not know the financials but would assume adding one of it is not there already will not offer a good return on investment 

Sudsrung0
Level 10
Rawai, Thailand

@Michael5047 

Look at similar properties in your area who have a hot tub, see how much an increase in rates maybe give you some ideas if it's worth it,

Here in Phuket we dont use them but we have lots of pools and it's difficult to rent a villa without a pool, and the increase in the rates can be double with a pool,

As for cameras I personally would not book a place with cameras on the pool or hot tub, in my villas we have cameras but only at the front and rear of the properties not on the pool area, 

Use of cameras and recording devices - Airbnb Help Center

https://bit.ly/3tOgorU 

Ruth413
Level 10
Moreton, United Kingdom

@Michael5047   We have Hot Tubs at both our listings and yes, people do book because of the Hot Tubs.

An absolute No to cameras overlooking the Hot Tub.

Re maintenance we are on site hosts and check the Hot Tubs everyday including the chemical levels.  We have found from experience this is necessary as it only take one person to get in with Shampoo in the hair or fake tan on or sun lotion to absolutely ruin the water and draining and refilling to be required.    Also one sprung a leak and when I checked, it was only 3/4 full.  If the guests had used it they would have blown the motors.  So I think maintenance only once a week could cause you a lot of potential problems.

Re cost, yes you can charge more as you are adding a rather costly amenity.  But with the horrific electricity costs at the moment, I am not sure if this is the right time to have a hot tub !

You also need a large back up supply of chemicals, filters, parts etc.

Hope this helps.

@Ruth413 

Thanks for the input!

Mike from West Palm
Rachel2301
Level 2
Thousand Oaks, CA

I have one at my listing and to be honest, it is a hassle. It does a number on the electric bill, especially during the winter and I also have to have someone maintain it when I am not around.

On the other hand, the guests really enjoy it and I also use it fairly often when I am in the area. I think there are both negatives and positives, but be prepared for the hassle of maintenance.