How to select the number of guests for your listing?

Marta1792
Level 1
Naxxar, Malta

How to select the number of guests for your listing?

Hi! I have a new 1-bedroom apartment that I'm about to list on Airbnb. The bedroom has a double bed, and there's a sofa in the living room that's comfortable to sleep on because it pulls out. However, it's not an actual sofa bed with a mattress. My question is, how many guests can my Airbnb take? Is it 2 or 3? How do I advertise it accurately without being misleading?

Thank you!

14 Replies 14
Mike-And-Jane0
Top Contributor
England, United Kingdom

@Marta1792 I would say 2 people and ignore the sofa. Cramming too many people into a space will only lead to poor reviews.

Maggie633
Level 4
Laguna Beach, CA

Hi! 

I recommend you be explicit in your description.  Specify sleeping arrangements…..

1 queen size bed and a sofa bed (sleeps 1-2?).

Personally I don’t like surprises so I tend to be as detailed as possible to avoid any misunderstanding. 
Hope this is helpful. 
Maggie 😊

Ana2038
Level 10
Santa Ana, CA

@Marta1792 , I would list it as a max 2 people. I know there are a number of 1 bedroom listings that allow for 4 people due to a sofa bed pullout or “air mattress.” Host(s) can then charge extra after the 2nd guest. Personally, I look at the wear and tear the place would take with 3 or 4 people. Sure you can charge more but you’ll have more frequent maintenance due to wear and tear. I also look at number of bathrooms. One bathroom for three or four people might be a bit much. Again, (personally) I’d want my own bathroom vs sharing with another couple or three or four other individuals. 

Best—

Elena4354
Level 10
Porto, Portugal

Hello @Marta1792, I also have one bedroom apartment with a double bed in the bedroom and a sofa bed in the living room. But I only accept 2 guests. In my opinion, this is the best solution, the guests will be more comfortable, and if someone asks you if they can sleep separately, you can allow them to use the sofa bed as well.

Sometimes I get such requests, and guests really appreciate it if they can use the sofa bed.

Kind regards.

Elena. 

Linda553
Level 2
Walnut Creek, CA

Marta hi,

I agree with the other replies here. Honesty is always the best policy! Use the description the way you wrote it here - the sofa pulls out but isn’t a real bed.

Linda

I once stayed at a BNB that claimed to sleep 12 but they were simply counting the number of places a body could fit on the floor. Lol you need to be able to sleep, serve, sit. So enough places for them all the sit and eat, enough silverware, enough beds, etc 

Leslie1032
Level 2
West Slope, OR

I like to list my spaces from a minimal impact, optimal comfort point of view. In your case that would look like listing it for up to 2 guests. Perhaps in your details and descriptions you mention you would consider hosting a child in the sofa, although in my experience, couples with a kid who think your space will work for them will inquire if you are willing to host their child  (or a friend) on the sofa. 

Latetia0
Level 2
Boksburg, South Africa

I would say 2 people and a child on the sofa .

Kim3331
Level 2
Puyallup, WA

From American standards, I would say 2 adults, max.  However, if the 3rd person was a school-aged child, I would allow the 3rd person to sleep on the couch. Since most American's would prefer to not sleep on a double bed, I would also state the dimension of the bed so that travelers, especially American's, know the size.  Our "double" beds wouldn't sleep 2 adults very well.  I would also include the sq footage of your apartment.  You may not want a 3rd person in there if the size of the apartment isn't very big.  Also, consider the seating arrangement.  Can 3 people comfortably sit in your apartment or would they all be squished on one couch?  Sometimes listing a place that is really more comfortable for 2, as a space for 3, can get you some negative reviews.  Be honest about the size and it's ok to say the space is ideal for 2 adults.  If they inquire about the couch I would state that it's not really a bed but it could sleep a smaller person.  Let them make the decision based on the accurate info you provide.  Good luck!  

Kimberly Greger
Liza3667
Level 2
London, United Kingdom

I have one double bedroom in a large inner london flat, total use. One sofa is easy big enough to sleep, but I don't advertise as such. I am fully booked with constant 5 star reviews because it is brilliant value.

Leslie810
Level 2
Winter Park, CO

I have a similar situation with a studio that has a proper king bed and a sofa. I only list guests as two. Having said that, I've had people ask me about bringing an air mattress and having someone sleep on the floor and I have allowed that. So you might be surprised that even though you say 2 guests, someone might want to do that. One of my guests was from cross country (it's a condo at a ski resort), and left a very nice air mattress. I keep it in storage and offer it to someone who asks about someone sleeping on the couch.

Hola Marta, si tienes un dormitorio con cama, efectivamente hasta 2 personas y esporádicamente 1 persona podría quedarse en el sofá, pero nada más...que tengas éxito!

Karen232
Level 2
Gulf Shores, AL

Hi Marta

I would advertise for two (2) in a one bedroom.  Three is a crowd.  If it’s a young family they will bring the toddler anyway and will be pleasantly surprised when there’s a space for the toddler.  

Lisa6912
Level 2
Ojai, CA

I would describe your site exactly as you mentioned.  I would keep the number of guests to two.  if someone inquires about adding a third on the  sofa that could be at your discretion, but people will be more comfortable using the space for two.