Separate Hot tub use review

Answered!
Yvonne41
Level 10
Kirkland, WA

Separate Hot tub use review

We added a hot tub just over a year ago, and it has been difficult to keep the hot tub clean because guests don’t follow rules, or operating instructions. It has increased our rentals in the colder months, but it dramatically increased our operating costs with a lot more chemicals, water and more than double the old electricity bill, 9 months of the year.

For all visits longer than 4 days, we even try to do a courtesy chemical and filter change to help prevent frequently draining, cleaning and re-doing all of the chemicals. Is anyone else doing this level of extra maintenance?

For hosts with hot tubs I would really like it if Airbnb would add a new, separate review and star rating for guests, specific to how they used the hot tub, providing an incentive for guests to keep it clean and operating properly.

1 Best Answer
Elaine701
Level 10
Balearic Islands, Spain

As you think about charging extra for things like a hot tub or sauna or heated pool, it's wise to be aware that those who don't have these things, generally have no clue how outrageously expensive they are to operate.

They go to their sport club, and the pool is heated, the jacuzzi and sauna is warm and running. But they don't realise it's paid for by hundreds of membership fees. 

A single Airbnb (that isn't a hotel) has >one< paying guest at any time. So the price of having it all to themselves isn't shared. To cover those costs, they need to pay it all. But that won't enter the mind of most guests. A big extra charge that will cover those costs will seem absurd. Because they have no idea how expensive it is. 

It's quite a challenge to explain this in a way that people will understand. Most won't.

We actually would like to provide these highly desirable amenities, but we're struggling to find the right way to price and position it. Raise the day rate and include it? Nobody in their right mind would include it unless per night rate can cover it.

...or an extra, substantial fee? Tricky. But it would give the guest the option.

Maybe pay per use? We can log the time and charge for it, I suppose. 

Not sure yet...

View Best Answer in original post

51 Replies 51

I have always had an extra guest fee to cover extra maintenance, etc. that I incur when we host more than 3 people. So, experimentally, I have now increased that fee, and added a short explanation in my description about the reason for the extra guest fee. A house with 2 people staying for 3 days is left in a different condition than a house with 4 adults and 5 kids. The most broken furniture and dirtiest hot tub is after young kids are there, or adults partying. It’s roughly the same result: food smashed in rugs, table tops and chairs scraped and stained, and the hot tub filthy and not filtering. Airbnb should also require kids under 2 to be counted as guests, because if they are eating or walking, they are still using the house and I have the fingerprints and urine in the hot tub to prove it LoL

@Yvonne41  The age designations really need to be changed. A 2 year old isn't an infant. Infant should be a child not yet mobile on their own. Then toddler (walking)- 5 years old, and 6-12.

I don't understand parents who let their kids walk around with food. Mine had to eat at the table or not eat.

We've started renting our hot tub after being asked a hundred times if it's available (our private residence is on the property with 3 rentals). So we did. And was great idea since the beginning to charge extra. Not everyone wants it, but those who do, they are willing to pay for it. YES, WE BADLY NEED AN OPTION UNDER THE AMENITIES TO ADD THE FEES!!!!! And of course, Airbnb, once again, does not give a **bleep**. We called, write, begged,..... nothing. We make sure we have it described in the listing. Just recently we added the second hot tub and we are charging extra again. Just works perfectly for us and from 6 years of experienced renting the hot tub, I would encourage everyone to go for it. It's worth it.

Hi @BenkaandKeith0 

I just added a hot tub to my property. I manage our airbnb remotely, and my cleaner isn't entirely comfortable with hot tub maintenance. I've stayed at Airbnbs before where the guest was asked to add a scoop of chemicals after each use, but we were worried this wouldn't work well. We have a bromine floater in the tub, but can't come up with a good solution if spa up or down is needed. Any advice for remote maintenance and keeping the tub clean?

Our crew is great with hot tubs, however, even with the guests signing our hot tub rules stating they need to leave the bromine dispenser in the hot tub, they still take it out. We tell them the codes it has to run on and how to watch for water to stay above jets and about 1/4 of the guests follow the directions.

For visits over 4 nights we require a maintenance visit. The current guests refused it. So, we will see how the hot tub looks after 5 nights of use by kids.

Update: the separate hot tub rules and info worked for the recent guests. That particular family was topping off the water, which is helped keep it running, with heat and filtering. Even though some find it a hassle, taking the extra step for guests to sign both a rental agreement, that has separate house rules from the hot tub rules, seems to be working. I also get a copy of photo ID for reservations. This is another layer of letting people know I know who they are, and what their address is.

@Natalie919we can not even imagine how to operate neither Airbnb, forget a hot tub without us being present. We tried to minimize the time we spent with our guests showing them around and pointing out things while checking in, but costs us fortune and ten times more time solving problems. We have no solution for you, unfortunately. The hot tub is a super complicated amenity and for all of us wanting to offer it with no chemicals, it's double tricky. We use only silver filters, wash regular filters after every guest, clean everything manually, jet we get in trouble with one in a while with Airbnb dismissing  our demand for security deposit. If anyone messes us our hot tub, we are out of several hundreds of $. WE'VE NEVER BEEN REIMBURSED NOT WITH A DIME ON ANY INCONSIDERATE GUEST DISREGARDED OUR HOT TUB GUIDELINES AND CREATED MESS, EXTRA WORK AND EXPENSES FOR US, AND TROUBLE FOR THE FOLLOWING GUEST. Once again, shame on you Airbnb for taking advantage of those who share our homes and have no partner to work with when things go sour because someone decides not to respect the other's property.

Hello @BenkaandKeith0 Thank you for sharing your experience. I am thinking of getting a hot tub and changing my listing from a 2 to a 1 bedroom and perhaps charging a bit more. In my experience 3-4 guests leads to party time. Two guests tend to be quieter and more courteous...and of course it would be one less room to turn. Curious how much extra you charge for hot-tub access? I'm thinking I would just roll the charge into my cleaning fee or the base rate. Appreciate any thoughts you might have. 

-Kurt

I would pay extra for it....

Kristin108
Level 10
Scotts Mills, OR

@Yvonne41 

I feel your pain... I too have hd a big problem with guests not respecting the hot tub rules.

And it is one of the main reasons I do a meet and greet. No self check in. 

I state several times that it is mandatory that guests shower before each use... Some still don't think the rules apply to them.

I state that they will lose their deposit for non compliance.... They still don't shower!

I am lucky that my tub is natural... And I have an unlimited supply of spring water.

So I drain and refill it every other booking or so...

But I am NOT okay with Airbnb's policy of offering a refund to guests if the Hot Tub isn't working....

Insane due to the rural nature of the property... Power outages, etc...

@Kristin108  A threat to withhold the so-called "deposit" on Airbnb rings hollow, because guests can clearly see that Airbnb doesn't actually charge the deposit, and as hosts we all know that they won't enforce penalty fees on our behalf.

One compelling reason to charge a separate fee for an optional amenity is that if the amenity isn't working, you're only obliged to refund that fee. Whereas if you offer it as something included with the listing, Airbnb decides how much to refund the guest when they report a problem with it. 

@Anonymous 

I appreciate the reply...

However, I do have a deposit on my listings.  I may not be able to collect, but it is there in the listing...

However, I do like the idea of a seperate fee structure...

@Kristin108  OK that's all well and good...I only had to mention the deposit issue because a lot of hosts who visit this forum are unaware of the fact that the so-called "deposit" on your listings is 100% fictional. There is no charge, no authorization hold placed on the account, and whatever amount you select has no bearing on the outcome of a damage claim. There is no working definition of the word "deposit" that this fits.

As long as you're aware of this and know that its existence in your listing is purely decorative, all is well. But newer hosts might need to pause here if they're under the misapprehension that putting a security deposit in their listing and threatening a fine actually means they have some kind of protection, because (spoiler alert) that's all a delusion.

I just tried to post a honest answer to this... and it was blocked!

@Kristin108  Not blocked. This forum is glitchy like that- if you write a long post, it will often time out and disappear into cyberspace.

Start copying your posts if they are more than a few lines, before hitting "reply" so you can just paste it back into a new message box if that happens.