Separate Hot tub use review

Answered!
Yvonne41
Level 10
Kirkland, WA

Separate Hot tub use review

We added a hot tub just over a year ago, and it has been difficult to keep the hot tub clean because guests don’t follow rules, or operating instructions. It has increased our rentals in the colder months, but it dramatically increased our operating costs with a lot more chemicals, water and more than double the old electricity bill, 9 months of the year.

For all visits longer than 4 days, we even try to do a courtesy chemical and filter change to help prevent frequently draining, cleaning and re-doing all of the chemicals. Is anyone else doing this level of extra maintenance?

For hosts with hot tubs I would really like it if Airbnb would add a new, separate review and star rating for guests, specific to how they used the hot tub, providing an incentive for guests to keep it clean and operating properly.

1 Best Answer
Elaine701
Level 10
Balearic Islands, Spain

As you think about charging extra for things like a hot tub or sauna or heated pool, it's wise to be aware that those who don't have these things, generally have no clue how outrageously expensive they are to operate.

They go to their sport club, and the pool is heated, the jacuzzi and sauna is warm and running. But they don't realise it's paid for by hundreds of membership fees. 

A single Airbnb (that isn't a hotel) has >one< paying guest at any time. So the price of having it all to themselves isn't shared. To cover those costs, they need to pay it all. But that won't enter the mind of most guests. A big extra charge that will cover those costs will seem absurd. Because they have no idea how expensive it is. 

It's quite a challenge to explain this in a way that people will understand. Most won't.

We actually would like to provide these highly desirable amenities, but we're struggling to find the right way to price and position it. Raise the day rate and include it? Nobody in their right mind would include it unless per night rate can cover it.

...or an extra, substantial fee? Tricky. But it would give the guest the option.

Maybe pay per use? We can log the time and charge for it, I suppose. 

Not sure yet...

View Best Answer in original post

51 Replies 51

absolutely blocked... Happened again....

Hi @Kristin108 

Clear your browser cacher

Log out Airbnb community > Clear browsing data > Open Chome > Log in to Airbnb web and try it

How to clear cached for all major browsers ?

https://kinsta.com/knowledgebase/how-to-clear-browser-cache/

My home is about 200 miles from my primary home and job, so a meet and greet isn’t possible. In my rental agreement I clearly state that I don’t refund for power outages, etc. Also, I clearly state that it’s a Guest’s responsibility to tell me when they arrive if it’s not working so I can try to get it addressed for them during their visit.

BenkaandKeith0
Level 10
United States

We state in the listing how we operate our hot tub and charge extra for it. Works great as only those who submit to our way of using it will eventually use it and appreciate it. Cuts out 99% of abusers of the amenity.

How do you keep other people from using it?

How do you charge extra for hot tub use? I want to add a fee but see that I can't - has anything change in AirBNB with regards to this?

Britt924
Level 2
Columbia, SC

Thank you for this post.  We just installed a hot tub and I have temporarily taken it off our amenity list and removed the photo.  I'm just going to put a note in the unit offering it with an extra fee.

We only had one guest use it so far and I was not happy.  She stayed there for a couple of hours and I don't think she showered first. I needed drain and refill, etc.  We live in the same house as the unit so it's easier for us to control.

Thanks to everyone for their comments.  We may reconsider later.