Airbnb 2022 Summer Release: What you need to know

Airbnb
Official Account

Airbnb 2022 Summer Release: What you need to know

Our 2022 Summer Release represents the biggest change to Airbnb in a decade. We’re introducing:

• Airbnb Categories: A new way to search that makes it easy for guests to discover millions of homes they never knew existed

• Split Stays: An innovative feature that pairs two listings when a guest searches for a longer stay

• AirCover: The most comprehensive protection in travel, included for free with every stay

Get all the details on the Resource Center, and tell us: Will you be updating your listing for Airbnb Categories and Split Stays? How will you update it?

1,048 Replies 1,048

Our views are still down.  Our bookings from Airbnb are definitely down  from last few years even though the statistics provided by Airbnb say more people are looking in our area (Hastings uk). No bookings further than a month out and I’ve noted, most of our Airbnb bookings are from people that are familiar with the area.  We use to rely solely on Airbnb with a great success rate. Not any more.  So glad we seeing success on other sites otherwise we would be in a real jam.  

Also, we recently were staying in an Airbnb in Taos, New Mexico.  Told some friends who were coming after we left what a great place we were in but when they tried to find it on Airbnb, it didn’t show up.  So I looked and also didn’t see it.  So I looked through our reservation and saw it was available for their dates and they just called the people direct (which is how they get most of their bookings from local word of mouth).  Our host said locals are fed up with Airbnb too.  

I don’t see how or why Airbnb is not doing anything.  We’re planning our next trip and I don’t plan to rely on Airbnb to find a great place to stay!   They are not the only game in town for listing or travel needs!  

I have not gotten a new reservation in two months and only one inquiry...so I am considering going back to another model which is long term rentals. I attribute it to the fact there are about five new Airbnb's in my town each week so there are a lot more choices. I have good reviews and provide a good service for the price. I am lowering my prices to see if that helps, since I would be looking for a lower price these days. So far it has not helped.

We have lost our income by over half and the guest seem more particular who do stay. 

@Mark116 Thanks for bumping this Mark.  My winter looks pretty bleak.  Barely a new booking since the release.  4.99 Superhost with 200+ reviews. I had been at 96-100% occupancy for years.  

Kathleen543
Level 5
Putney, VT

Hi all, I am in Vermont and we have two listings that were 97% booked prior to the Summer Release, and then bookings hit a wall afterwards, at least partly because there arose an error and we were listed in "Putney London" instead of "Putney Vermont" for about six weeks.

With the help of some of the admins here (thank you folks), that error was fixed and our bookings have steadily increased to near pre-release levels. I won't comment on views because our views show very healthy numbers but very low conversion rates, so I am not sure how valuable that data is.

At any rate, I was very scared for a while there, but we are pretty much back to normal, maybe slightly less. We tend to book about 8 weeks out, and September and October are mostly full (the summer was full when the release happened, so we were hurting for the fall bookings during the lull) and November and December are mostly empty, but my fingers are crossed. I can't remember if it looks like this every year or not.

I hope this is helpful to someone and I am so very sorry that some of you are still suffering in the wake of these changes. 

This is great news. Can you tell me which admins, or what was done or help me to remedy my situation, which is exactly the same as yours?

How did you contact the admins?

Big thanks.

Rather, the same as yours was. I was fully booked for years and now, barely booking except from other sites. But its a cluster for me, often people telling me my listing isn't showing, etc.

I am in Colorado too, I attribute the lack of bookings due to the massive amount of listings now in my town. There are literally about five new listings a week which is really bothering me since we are supposed to be getting lodging licenses which I have and I suspect others are not so it is not fair to me or others who have the licenses.

@Diane34 And Airbnb is actually recruiting even more.  Business Insider, 8/5/22:

"Brian Chesky, the CEO of Airbnb, says adding 'millions more' hosts is 'priority No. 1' as current hosts complain of increased competition."  

You would think cultivating a decent Customer Service department or fixing their site so that guests can actually find available properties would be priority No. 1, but... 

Its not just that. It doesn't make sense that so any of us who were fully regularly booked had our bookings plummet after the new site rollout.

I am glad you are doing better. I still have no reservations for the last two months, maybe I should contact Airbnb to see if I am correctly listed?

That’s great! I wish that was the case for our place which is usually booked 99% of the time. Yet Airbnb pats itself on the back for housing disporia victims at our lower cost lodgings. We deserve an explanation. @Airbnb   

Szilvia3
Level 3
Santa Paula, CA

Same problem. We are so screwed! How do we fix this?!? 

@Airbnb @I don’t think Airbnb wants to fix the problem. The weirdest part of it all is the folks staying at a discounted rate are leaving poor reviews. It’s like sabotage. 

Denice0
Level 10
Placitas, NM

Whoa, I just read a NY times article "Help! I was catfished by my Airbnb host and the place was a mess".  There were over 1300 primarily negative comments.  Airbnb has a PR problem and they better get addressing the negative impact of commercial hosting companies taking over this site!