Airbnb Answers: Guest information and flagging guest behavior

Airbnb
Official Account

Airbnb Answers: Guest information and flagging guest behavior

You asked: Can Airbnb share more information about guests, like their ratings, full name, etc.? Can we get the ability to flag bad guests and make this information visible to other hosts?

More guest information

We're taking a close look at what additional information we can share to help you feel confident about the quality of every guest, every time you host. Currently, before confirming a booking, you can see a potential guest’s prior reviews and profile information (including hometown, education background, hobbies, and languages spoken). But in order to protect the privacy of both hosts and guests, we don’t share last names until after a booking is confirmed. If you don’t feel comfortable accepting a reservation with this set of information, you may message guests with additional questions. We don’t share guests’ home addresses because that information is not relevant or required to make a booking.

Every guest is required to provide their full name, date of birth, phone number, email address, and payment information to Airbnb before being allowed to book a reservation. As a host, you also have the option to require guests to provide a government ID before booking your home, which is just one feature of our ongoing effort to build trust in the community.

Flagging guest behavior

In the coming months, we’ll be adding more ways for you to report guest behavior that we might need to address. Stay tuned for more, but know that host reviews of guests remain the most powerful flagging tool for the community.

More than ever before, we’re using your reviews to signal both excellent and not-so-great guest behavior. We’re developing a Superguest program that will help you identify experienced travelers with excellent ratings. And for the rare occasions things don’t go well, your reviews will help us identify poorly behaved guests, issue more specific and strict warnings, and remove those guests who do not improve their behavior.

Be assured that when guests get negative reviews from hosts, Airbnb follows up. We make sure guests receive warnings about unacceptable behavior, and in some cases they can be blocked from booking entirely. We take the safety of you and your guests very seriously, which is why we require everyone in our community to uphold our community standards. Your reviews of guests are essential to establishing trust in our community, and we’re dedicated to taking action on your behalf to help ensure high quality experiences every time you host.

In the latest Host Q&A, CEO and Head of Community Brian Chesky answered top-voted questions during a livestream event. For questions he didn’t have time to address, we’ve introduced Airbnb Answers. Want to ask more? We’ll invite hosts to ask their questions before the next quarterly Host Q&A. We’ll keep you posted in Airbnb Updates.

436 Replies 436
Ethan5
Level 3
Los Angeles, CA

It will be an improvement if they help flag bad guests to warn future hosts.  But I can say from experience: Airbnb will not protect you as a host if the guest breaks all the house rules by throwing a party or having extra guests.  Years ago I used to charge a lot of money for parties but after doing this twice, I decided it wasn't worth the money, to cause possible problems in the neighborhood.  Now, even if you have a security deposit, even if you say explicitly in house rules that parties will be penalized out of the deposit, even if you get the guest to also confirm in writing they understand this house rule, and even if you have ample evidence of a guest throwing a party (irate emails and texts from neighbors; my own security video cameras showing the party in my yard from at 2-5am), you're basically on your own.  I just had this experience, had to pay off neighbors, to deal with stress and blowback, all the reasons I don't allow parties at any price.  And I am a Superhost and a host for five years, while the guest was a first-time Airbnb user who simply ignored my security deposit request.  After reviewing the case for five weeks, Airbnb awarded me for a small amount for a couple broken things, but precisely nothing for the party.  The ability to warn future hosts is ok (though we don't want to risk bad reviews in return, as others have noted), but this does nothing protect the host who was already violated.  Airbnb needs to do more to protect those of us whose houses seem to draw bad guests, and who are trying to be respectful hosts and good neighbors.

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

It would be beneficial if Guests who have failed to abide by Terms of Services and booked using search engine for only 1 Guest when there is 2 as in a couple were required to set there profiles for 2 people with both potential Guests information so we can make an informed decision if we want to host a Guest and there guest.

Guests who write inaccurate reviews should have them removed instantly as they are causing disruptive behaviours that no one who uses, or contemplating using this forum, needs to be subjected to.

Whilst Airbnb have made claims that when such reviews are posted that they are not in breach of terms of content, the fact that its usually Guests who don't respect others rights, namely Host's Rights such remarks in the Guests reviews are indeed in contravention of Terms of SERVICE that Guests agreed & signed up to.

There needs to be education and accountability from GUESTS who fail to use "PRIVATE FEEDBACK" for matters that should never be in the public arena.

Facebook and other platforms, including Trade Me in NZ remove content that's is violation of Terms of SERVICE so why are AIRBNB NOT doing the same?

In today's day & age it's unacceptable.

Guests must be put on notice and made accountable when they have failed to adhere to what we reasonable Hosts are within our rights to expect

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

Private Feedback to Guests from Hosts should where it's relevant about Guests conduct should be made accessible to other potential Hosts.

As an example, see my "Private Feedback" to the 2 different long term Guests I in my wisdom felt it would be of benefit for them to be mindful of when staying with other Hosts.

I could easily have written what I did in "Public Review" however believe some young unworldly guests need a firm but friendly word to help them along positively in the world.

There needs to be changes to the current systems so all parties can have a conducive working relationship.

There needs to be options of "maybe" and "maybe not" with room for a valid reason where it says, "Would you recommend this Host/ Guest? Yes or No.

In my wisdom I gave the 2 male guests who did not adhere to Terms of Service a tick to say "Yes", alas just like a company who it's trying to get rid of bad eggs out of my home it was because I didn't want either if then back in my home which in hindsight is not of any benefit to other Hosts, is it?

Jasmina15
Level 2
New York, NY

WOW - I am seriously shocked - who are these people staying with you??? I have had many guests and they were almost all lovely and even the ones that were not nice were not doing these crazy things! Maybe because I live in my place so I am home and I interact and talk and almost everyone cleans after themselves. I had a few who didn't but even they did their dishes. My worst experience was with a couple that was arguing the entire time and yelling at each other and another that had fairly loud sex ... but seriously most people may have had quirks and personality stuff but nothing that is not just human behavior. 

Cathy295
Level 2
Ontario, Canada

It would be great to have some instructions for guests - but basic etiquette is different in various places.  We opened our cottage to AirBnB guests last year.  We had one 'first time guest' stain sheets, empty the fridge of all complimentary condiments and leave six bags of garbage lying in the forest on our property.  Problem was that our cleaner didn't see the bags - and it attracted big black bears who tore open the bags, scattered the garbage everywhere - and have lurked around ever since!!  When I asked for some money to pay for ruined sheets, the guest gave me a bad review.  I didn't even flag the guest's bad behaviour because we didn't realize that the garbage had been left - until after the grace period ended.  

Dan376
Level 10
Mooloolaba, Australia

I ve been reading/posting for the last 2 weeks. Basically we are all screaming for a fairer,more equitable sensorship of guests, and for them and their travelling companions to be held financially responsible. I believe we need to do more than just voice our discontent in this form..in this forum. The problem lies with the Airbnb management.THEY VALUE THE GUESTS MORE THAN THE HOST!!! WHY? because they charge the guest a great deal more than they do with us! That is not only making our own listings way more expensive, in return it pushes us to also accept lower returns for our hard earned work, to make sure that our place is not only earning for us, but also because Airbnb blackmails us, by the "unspoken term"  that if you don't have that many bookings you are going to be at the bottom of the list. So, here we are lowering our prices, therefore attracting less than appreciative and respectfull guests. Also another thing i do not think is right is that Airbnb is charging the guest a percentage per night. It should be a flat fee per booking..that would mean that we could rent our places at higher rate. I have done some testing on the site , and if you rent the same place for 2 night or 20 nights, their booking fees makes the whole fee look astronomical.. yest probably a couple of $100  could be reverted back to us, and not the booking site. After all, it is not longer done by hand!!!

I have suggested to at least have a key word for us to use, as our own language of warning.. i suggested the word SOFTLY as it is seeing as positive and can be used in many sentences. but it would be our way of telling each other ..do not let in!    Bottom line, The safety of the hosts and the respect for hosts property are of very little value to Airbnb. I am looking to migrating to other sites. I ve read so many reviews here that in comparison, sound like my bad guests, weren't that bad.  meanwhile how is up to code SOFTLY? we have to do something  OURSELVES!!and NOT wait for Airbnb !! they are just giving us this to vent!! i think we use it to build! if you are onboard with the code or suggest another word/way please simply join the conversation with softly..maybe if they see us united ...

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

It would be beneficial if the 3 options available to Report on Reviews that may be inaccurate, fake etc had provisions for feedback to Airbnb, or even for other users to reply to as the systems in place currently do not appear to have that, or the provisions to provide any contact details for whatever reason.

I believe it may go some way to restoring "good faith" within the Airbnb community and ensuring accountability where it needs to be to ensure honest accurate reviews and adherence to common cross border Laws

Nicolene0
Level 2
Cape Town, South Africa

As with everything in life, there is a lot of variety in this world and it is also true for airbnb guests (and hosts). Some people just generally & naturally understand, appreciate and play the game of  the "airbnb ethos" and others do not and will probably never do as they were  simply "programmed" differently during the course of their lives. However, I think it would be a great asset to all parties involved if airbnb could come up with some tools and techniques to "filter out" the ones that are really low on the airbnb ethos scale.

There will always be the likelihood of breakage, damage and disrespectful behaviour and I have come to learn (after a decade in the hospitality industry) that sometimes one has to just "smile-and-nod" and move on. BUT permanent damage to luxury bedlinen & towels or kitchen table tops or wooden flooring, for example, is "permanent" and requires time and capital outlay to recover back to normal. This really is not acceptable.

Even repeated experiences for example, with white towels that are left unrecognisably stained and ruined, continues leaving me speechless. This is also not favourable for profit margins.  Some very basic principles of "guesting" provided by airbnb would be absolutely fantastic: if airbnb could "educate" the general guest, not to mention the effect it would have on the pleasure-factor (as opposed to the frustration-factor) of hosting. I hardly want to leave my guests with a note requesting: "Kindly do not use white towels for servicing your bicycle" (no joke!) OR  "Please remove your make-up before getting into bed"

Manish19
Level 1
Gurugram, India

It is becoming increasingly difficult to satisfy Airbnb guests in India from India, their expectation is that the host should be ready to act as their personal servant and provide the facilities as provided in the five star hotels.  When their demands are refused they threaten with bad reviews and in most cases give poor ratings.  There is no recourse available from Airbnb as they side with the guest and even refuse to provide compensation for property damage.  Overall best to steer clear of Airbnb and its guests, till they either educate the guests on what an Airbnb is or provide better guests.

Mary913
Level 2
Bois D'Arc, MO

A couple years ago there was a place where we could leave private feedback to AirBnB about our guests ... I wish that feature was back. ... Then we can give those negitave reviews to AirBnB with out fear.   

My biggest concern comes from the many e-mails from Airbnb telling me to get more guests to lower my price.  When I lower my price, I feel that I am cheapening the airbnb brand. Soon the price will not afford for cleaning.  That cheaper price will also reflect in the quality of people that choose to rent my rooms/home.  

I have an outside job, the owner has raised the price of his service and the 'riff-raff' has moved on.  I am ready to raise my prices.  My home and services I offer is worth it.  

Jaime47
Level 2
Austin, TX

Hi Airbnb, I'm attempting to chime in on some of these discussion, but keep getting an "unexpected error" message, even though I'm logged in. Any ideas how to overcome that?

Mick-And-Briyith0
Level 2
Bogotá, Colombia

We just finished a reservation of a guest that prior to check in was kind, good communication, respectful. When he checked out our housekeeper found vomit everywhere in the apartment!

1. Behind the living room sofa

2. On the stairwell 

3. In the bedroom 

In addition there was writing on the walls of the dining room in red pen!

In fairness to other hosts, I publicized all of the above in his review. He denied all and said he will report.

We will have the housekeeper make a sworn statement at a Notary if needed.

There should be zero tolerance to lack of respect for property. Outright lying is just plain criminal.

Connie94
Level 3
San Diego, CA

I've been hosting for about a year and a half and had received over 50 5 star reviews before I had my first really terrible guests. They broke several house rules and flat out lied in their review, which was silly, because it was about things that could easily be verified as false by airbnb if they chose to look into it. I flagged the review as malicious and false, but I don't have any faith that airbnb will follow up. The review is still on my listing, with the 1 star rating.

I didn't review them because I hate to give bad reviews and try to give guests the benefit of the doubt. I think, what if they didn't understand the house rules because of cultural differences or language barriers? I don't regret not reviewing them because I don't think it would matter, especially for hosts with instant book turned on, who are concerned about retribution from airbnb for cancelling a reservation.

The bad review was in another language, so I don't know if prospective guests would even be able to read it, or choose to translate it. Still I responded to all 3 of their points. I took over an hour to write my response so that it was very diplomatic, whereas the review was just a crazy sounding rant, so she actually made herself sound less credible. In my public response, I asked prospective guests to give the review the weight that it deserves given the high number of 5 star ratings and glowing reviews. I've had a few more 5 star ratings since those terrible guests, but the experience of having them in my home followed by the bad review has left me feeling that I no longer want to do this. I have a lot of bookings that I will not cancel, but I have blocked every available open date through Halloween to give myself the option to just quit. I have also changed my house manual to no longer allow the use of the kitchen at all, whereas before these terrible people I had allowed limited use. (One of the house rules was about the use of the kitchen.) I am also considering turning off instant booking, if I remain a host.

As hosts get tired of being ignored and leave, airbnb will have to work harder to attract new hosts or keep the existing ones. I do not expect anything from them because they have proven, from all of these stories, that they don't care about the hosts or our experiences. I doubt that they will even read any of our comments.

Hopefully, some of my upcoming bookings will be the kind of guests that make it an occasional pleasure to host.

Mick-And-Briyith0
Level 2
Bogotá, Colombia

Furthermore to my recent post of a Guest that left our apartment covered in vomit and wrote on the walls in red pen.

We publicized it and of course he was irate. He sent us a threatening message, outside Air BnB interestingly on What’s App. In the message he said it was an outright lie and he will request a full refund from Air BnB.

Now let’s get this right. You behave like a scumbag, leave someone’s property covered in vomit, write on their walls and then ask Air BnB for a full refund. This should open Josts eyes as to the quality of guest that YOU could get and we did get!

In addition we reported his profile. His profile photo likely taken at his high school graduation was completely different from his Passport photo. Old, greyed, and unshaven. Misleading.

Beware Hosts and PLEASE fully publicize all guests who are scumbags.

Jim328
Level 1
Abbotsford, Canada

I had a guest who used a photo of himself toting semi-automatic rifles aimed at the camera.  When I declined to accept his request, much to my chagrin,  Airbnb cautioned me about declining too many requests.  I thought hosts' safety was paramount.  We have had a pimp try to book with us to allow one of his girls to work out of our home.  Again I declined.  We have had several employers try to book third party, but not using the booking system designed.  Again I declined, and these situations count against us.  Try going beyond lip-service to safety Airbnb!