I have a 10pm curfew..

Andrea1177
Level 2
North Vancouver, Canada

I have a 10pm curfew..

I have a 2 bedroom apartment which the rooms is side by side next to eachother a front door that is  just like 5 to 8 feet from the bedrooms.. if I didn't have my dog, I wouldn't care when guest come back at night but because he barks when anyone comes through the front door which I had to put as 10pm curfew also the fact that I work most mornings.. any suggestions or is my house rule not fair to guests? 

15 Replies 15
Karen114
Level 10
Bolton, MA

@Andrea1177  I understand where you are coming from and your plight with the dog barking however I don't think this is fair to do to a guest.  10PM is early in my opinion and I go to bed at 9:00 typically.  

What can be done about the pup barking?  I would brainstorm a solution on that before I put a curfew on the guests. 

Karen
Shelley159
Level 10
Stellenbosch, South Africa

Hi @Andrea

If you can't solve the issue as @Karen114 has suggested, I would recommend making the curfew clear in your listing. Only guests who are ok with the curfew should book, so they should know in advance. That would rule out any misunderstanding and unnecessary cancelations.

I decided to not just written in house rules but also a binder with all that in there and if they're really not happy offer them to change reservation date for next day to check out so they're not out all their monet but must stay at least 1 night.. 

@Andrea1177 this plan will guarantee bad reviews and upset guests. You need to write to each guest when they book to check they are happy with a 10pm curfew and offer to allow them to cancel with a full refund if they are not.

Bhumika
Community Manager
Community Manager
Toronto, Canada

Hi @Andrea1177 , You've received some diverse and thoughtful comments from experienced Host members for your particular situation. Have you managed to reach a conclusion since you posted in the community and reading suggestions from Hosts? 

How are you planning to address this situation in the end? We look forward to hear how you're thinking to resolve it!🌻

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

Andrea1177
Level 2
North Vancouver, Canada

I've put just a one night minimum, if case guests are not happy about it, I'll change the reservation date for check out next morning so at least they didn't lose all their money.. have to be at least fair 😀

Bhumika
Community Manager
Community Manager
Toronto, Canada

That's interesting @Andrea1177 ! Do share with us how it works out later after some time and your experience with it 😉 . Our Community could use your findings in case new Hosts face a similar situation. Thanks so much!

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

Andrea1177
Level 2
North Vancouver, Canada

Honestly,  us as hosts, we're not on holidays ourselves and we need to make a bit of extra income somehow. I think it would be mean to guests like " too bad so sad" or your problem not mine" type of attitude, at least have them book 1 night and change their reservation to check out next day, only fair, everyone has their comfort zone.. I'm not a greedy person but hey, it's a dog eat dog world lol

@Andrea1177  That doesn't actually seem fair at all, as it leaves them looking for another accommodation if they are not happy. 

Putting it in the binder is also not fair, as they are already at your property and will have to find another place if it's not to their liking. 

The only fair and right thing to do is what @Mike-And-Jane0 suggested. 

Andrea1177
Level 2
North Vancouver, Canada

It's in the house rules as well before they book.. I can't change my life to fit others as I work, I can't change my house rules, I also have neighbors to think about.. only thing I can think of.

@Andrea1177 It is not the rule people are suggesting is bad - It is the fact you don't go out of your way to make guests aware of the rule before they arrive.

Marie8425
Level 10
Buckeye, AZ

I don't list a curfew I am not trying to parent Haha  Plus if you set a curfew  there is always a guest  who  monitors you are  you enforcing it and if you set 10 or 11  everyone  has a comment too early too  late .

Most of my guests  are contract workers and because Arizona heat  they  can be leaving for work  at  4 am and I too have 2 barking welcoming  committee  members who  don't  wear a watch

I  highlight  early quiet evenings and comfortable early  risers.

I have quiet  time set for 10pm to  5  am.  I  review with  guests   that  quiet time doesn't  mean quiet traffic  especially in  and out  no  traffic please unless  approved..

That also gives me control to say yes or  no.    I have an  excellent  temporary  guest  a foreign   vet  that works on a farm  but  noon  until  10pm.   The trick   II  use  for my  welcoming  committee  iis they get  used  too  a  certain schedule then it is boring hahaa.  Until  it is boring   I  usually leave some  chewy  snack  on   the counter the guests give  dogs and mine easily  distracted

Don't worry my Dr and my dog monitors me lol.. 

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

I certainly wouldn't book with a host who has a 10 pm curfew and neither will many guests. The house rules are my easy to see on a listing. @Andrea1177 

you need to make it clear up front on the listing and confirm with the guest on booking. 

if you want to run an Airbnb business from home it's you who needs to accommodate your guests . Why not invest in some training for your dog so it doesn't bark when guests come in and out? 

no guest is going to want the hassle of having to change their booking after a night because you haven't made this restry clear in your listing🙂