Listings show surrounding areas first before the requested region

Listings show surrounding areas first before the requested region

We have 2 Airbnb listings on the same property. When I do a search of "all" Airbnb properties for our zip code in Georgia one of our listings gets shown AFTER neighboring cities' listings are shown. Some are 40 minutes away! Why would 2 same kind of rooms, side by side to each other, not show within the same zip code search? We were doing fine with the search function until 2 or 3 weeks ago until Airbnb rolled out changes. Airbnb says nothing is wrong with the algorithm as it's always updating. But we've been doing this for over 3 years with no problems like this until now.

Does anyone experience this too? How have you resolved it?

If I search a particular city I surely don't want to be sent to another city until I've seen all in that city. Makes sense?

8 Replies 8
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Dave-and-Connie1 

As you can see both listings are in the search system:

https://www.airbnb.com/s/homes?host_id=238138249&map_toggle=true

Are you sure they do not show up both ? As you can see they "overlay" each other on the map, did you zoom in on the map to make both visible ?

Having the same problem with my 2 listings at the same property.

Emiel1
Level 10

@Mary778 

it is not exactly same issue, as your listings are not in same location:

https://www.airbnb.com/s/homes?host_id=11278432&map_toggle=true

Well depends on how far you zoom the map, they are both located on the same property, not too far from each other.

I see what you are saying Mary778. I searched for Prineville and got a bunch of listings, then it jumps to Redmond 20 miles away, and then I get your listing back in Prineville. That's weird! I didn't make any special designations.

By the way, looks gorgeous! If ever I get out towards Prineville we'll have to check out your place. Unless I want to stay in Redmond :).

Type into search "Tyrone, GA." Choose any date you wish. I chose The first 4 results are in Tyrone (including one of our units).  The next result: Villa Rica (31 miles, 47 minutes away!). Result 6 & 7 are Tyrone. Next...Sharpsburg, Newnan (16 miles, 25 minutes), Peachtree City, Tyrone (11th result), Newnan, Peachtree City, Senoia (15 miles, 25 minutes), Newnan, Tyrone (16th result), Newnan (a TENT!!), Newnan, Senoia, Palmetto (10 minutes), Fayetteville (10+ miles, 20+ minutes), and then on the 22nd result is my second unit. This is based on searching TYRONE. This is what I'm talking about. A search result that takes me to other cities many miles away before giving me my place, in my town, to join my other unit which is located in the same house, same town, same kind of listing.

If I zoom in the map area, which takes in only the neighboring edges of towns, there are 13 non Tyrone results (!) and we are then 23rd listing!

This only started in the past several weeks. My place did not move. My search request did not change. If you don't get something like this when you search Tyrone then something is messed up on my search function and then I am ready to hear how to fix my search function within Airbnb.

Emiel1
Level 10

@Dave-and-Connie1 

If i search for "Tyrone,GA" it shows me over 1000 listings !

Do you expectboth of your listings show up on top of that list ?

There are many parameters involved in a search process, including the IP-address (=location) of the searcher and also if the user is logged in or not.

When zooming in both of your listings start to show up, but they are not both in top results. That's how the search system works. Even on the website or on the app you will experience different results.

IMO there is nothing wrong with the search results, only your listings are in in same spot, which maybe could result in overlooking one when the searcher is focussed on the map only.

So for me i see no issue, sorry.

I don't expect both of my listings to be in the top of the list and In what I've written you can see that is not my complaint. I expect that a search for a particular city will get results in that city first. Not one that is nearly an hour away before coming back to results in my city. Isn't that the reason for a geographical search?

And as I also said, this problem of not seeing all the Tyrone units was not an issue until the past couple of weeks. Prior to that a search of Tyrone, GA gave me all the Tyrone Airbnbs before it wandered off to neighboring towns . . . and it never showed Airbnbs 40 minutes away on the first page of results because there are dozens of good candidates within the area of search.

My frequent search experience shows this is a change in the system's search engine since the recent update. Perhaps this is what Airbnb decided it wanted to change, but it is not what used to be.

IMO it is a problem.

An example, if I want to visit family in Leeuwarden I will look at the places in the Leeuwarden and once it jumps to Sneek or Dokkum then I will think that's the end of places in Leeuwarden. Thus I will give up looking further into the listings, unless I can't find what I want and go looking further and I see more for Leeuwarden. Why aren't they clumped together?

That's what a traveler wants . . . results in their search area.

Thank you for your effort,

goedenacht