Need advise about protocol

Need advise about protocol

I had a  guest that checked in  and I spoke with him about no parties and the next day superbowl  they had about 20 people  and loud music . I tried to reach out text email and call and no response. I didnt want to get the young man in trouble but I did want to make sure my property would be ok and I called the support line and i thought I was following the right protocol but they cancel his reservation and he left at the scheduled time but now my calendar is blocked and having a hard time speaking to someone to rectify my situation with my calendar and I am feeling like Im not getting no answers to help this is the second day that my calendar is blocked and the ambassador havent called me . So is this normal or should I be concerned?

10 Replies 10
Mike-And-Jane0
Top Contributor
England, United Kingdom

@The-House-Of-Jolie0 To answer your questions:

Is this normal? SADLY yes it is. When a host reports a party they appear to be blamed for allowing said party so their calendar is blocked while Airbnb investigate. 

Should you be concerned? well yes as you will lose business but I suppose you an take comfort that Airbnb is not discriminating against you as they treat all well meaning hosts the same.

I am afraid, as a Superhost, you get to be added to my list and reported to @Catherine-Powell in the hope that, as Head of Hosting, she will stop this happening to hosts who are only trying to protect their property and their neighbourhood.

Thank you so very much for helping me to understand this situation.  I really enjoy that people have a awesome time there and I really don't care about the parties but it's been so crazy over the news about people being hurt at  airbnb. I own several businesses and I just didn't know protocol. Know knowing that it makes me think differently. Thank you 

@The-House-Of-Jolie0 You need to make sure there are no references parties/partying in your listings. 

Hope you get back up and running soon.

Jenny
Community Manager
Community Manager
Galashiels, United Kingdom

Hi @The-House-Of-Jolie0 

Was your property damaged or were things ok?

Airbnb officially banned any parties at listings last year, after a temporary ban was put in place during the pandemic, so if a party is reported to Airbnb then the agent handling the case will have steps they need to follow.

You can read more here about the party ban.  

Jenny

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

Mike-And-Jane0
Top Contributor
England, United Kingdom

@Jenny can you confirm if one of the steps the customer services agent NEED follow is to suspend the listing when a HOST reports a party?

If this is the case then surely hosts are better off not reporting parties which feels contrary to the stated position of Airbnb aiming to stop all parties.

Thanks for the advice this is  a learning curve.  I just didn't feel that they  had my best interest at hand but this is the way they run their business 

Jenny
Community Manager
Community Manager
Galashiels, United Kingdom

Hi @Mike-And-Jane0 

I'm happy to provide the team with feedback based on you and @The-House-Of-Jolie0 's comments, but if you would like further information about what happens when a party is reported, then it'd be best to speak to Airbnb Support.

Also I just wanted to confirm @The-House-Of-Jolie0, that we've passed the details of what you've experienced over to the team to have a look, and someone will be in touch once everything's been looked at again.

Please feel free to come back and update us once you've spoken with someone.  It'd be great to hear when things are sorted.

Jenny

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

Mike-And-Jane0
Top Contributor
England, United Kingdom

@Jenny there is no way I am calling support to enquire about parties. I really don't want my listings suspended!

Thank you so very much for reaching out 

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

In a nutshell, parties, especially those that get out of hand are the bane of private renting to continue as easily as it once was. Every time a ruckus one occurs it gives the local councils (pushed by the usually well-connected hotel/motel lobby) the push and ammunition to prohibit all private renting in entire areas. Airbnb is a booking agency, but because it is so successful (in which millions of its hosts get to enjoy the ride) they usually become Public Enemy #1 at those meetings, so a party allowed by any host hurts Airbnb and every other host in the area.

How did you find out there was a party btw? In your case, you called and e-mailed,  but the nice 'young man' didn't bother answering or checking either and he went on in his merry party plan. A pity you didn't go there physically to stop it in time in your place, and did missed the red flag (booking 1 day before the Super Bowl).

Airbnb did their part; cancelled and now is trying to figure out how and why this party happened. Who can blame them, of what? Being too slow?

It is a nerve-wracking learning experience and granted it is a bit worrisome; they will in all likelihood give you the benefit of the doubt that you did your best. Good luck.