New registration law in nyc

Answered!
Jose6896
Level 2
New York, NY

New registration law in nyc

Will airbnb crash with this new registration law in effect . Are we getting fines by not registering . Should we find another way of renting our units?

1 Best Answer
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Can't see why it hasn't crashed in the many other locations which have registrations @Jose6896 

View Best Answer in original post

34 Replies 34

@Diego1663 I spoke to an operator at airbnb last week and he said the bookings will be liable from Sept 5 no matter how much earlier they were booked.

But he told me not to refuse bookings or turn them away in the meantime. Their lawyers are working hard to find a solution and it is likely that airbnb will put out some kind of notice before September for all hosts.

@Diego1663 Also, a friend pointed out that 10 years ago people thought uber would be crushed. The taxis were furious, etc. Yet, the people won. What worked for people prevailed. 

Now there are even uber sections at airports for pickups!

So too with airbnb. People will prevail. No one wants to pay hotel rates to visit NY. And they want to be in groups of friends or whole families together... We provide a very recognized and valued service. And if not via airbnb then via other means.

Another friend said the city has too much to lose - cuz via airbnb they get taxes from every stay. Offline, they won't.

100% Agreed! We will prevail! @Gavriella0 

I am just afraid we hosts will have to pay a penalty for canceling any existing reservations from September 5th on... that doesn't seem right to me

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

If you took the bookings before any changes were announced then you should be allowed to honour the bookings . That's what happened in London. What did your local government say when you checked with them @Diego1663 ?

Hi @Helen3 

Thank you. I tried contacting them, and waiting for a response. Still nothing. I spoke with AirBnB, and they were not too sure either. It's wait and see I presume!

Just got this email now from airbnb: (btw this platform removed any links in this email)

The latest on Airbnb in New York City
In June, Airbnb and local Hosts filed separate lawsuits against the City of New York to help protect hosting for New Yorkers. You can read the full announcement here.

After working hard to find a better path forward for home sharing, we’re disappointed to inform you that both lawsuits were dismissed and New York City is moving forward with a de facto ban on short-term rentals. Enforcement of the city’s new rules will begin on September 5, 2023.
What this means for Hosts
Starting September 5, the city will begin enforcing its rules which require all eligible short-term rental Hosts to be registered with the city, or have Class B status, to continue hosting short-term rental stays.

To comply with the new rules you can:
Register with the city

a) Learn about the registration process on the city’s website and apply if eligible under the new rules. ​​
b) Once you are registered with the City of New York, be sure to add your registration details to your listing(s) on Airbnb.

OR

Host long-term stays

a) Update your minimum night stay to 30 nights or more. To learn more about hosting longer stays, check out this guide.
b) Ensure your calendar availability is up to date.
If you are not able to register or host long-term stays, here is what you need to know:
As early as August 14—if you have not entered a registration # or claimed an exemption—Airbnb will block calendars to prevent new short-term reservations for September 5 and beyond.
On September 5, listings without a registration # or exemption claim will be converted to long-term stays (if a Host’s calendar settings allow stays of 30 nights or more) OR deactivated.
Existing reservations with check-in on or before December 1 will not be canceled to mitigate impact to Hosts and guests. To comply with the short-term rental regulations, we will be refunding all Airbnb fees associated with these stays after check-in occurs.
Existing short-term rental reservations with check-in dates on or after December 2 will be canceled and refunded.
Starting September 5, the city will know which Hosts are unregistered and may impose penalties.
We will honor any Host-requested cancellations of stays with check-in on or after September 5—consequence-free—with no penalties or impact to Superhost status.
What this means for guests
Existing reservations with check-in on or before December 1 will not be canceled by Airbnb. Guests will not be able to book short-term stays at unregistered listings in New York City with check-in on or after September 5.
What happens next?
If you have questions or need help, please contact Customer Support.

To share your thoughts on New York City’s near ban on short-term rentals, join the thousands of Hosts and guests who have made their voices heard by sending an email to the Mayor.

Here is what was sent to me via air bnb

Airbnb
The latest on Airbnb in New York City
In June, Airbnb and local Hosts filed separate lawsuits against the City of New York to help protect hosting for New Yorkers. You can read the full announcement here.

After working hard to find a better path forward for home sharing, we’re disappointed to inform you that both lawsuits were dismissed and New York City is moving forward with a de facto ban on short-term rentals. Enforcement of the city’s new rules will begin on September 5, 2023.
What this means for Hosts
Starting September 5, the city will begin enforcing its rules which require all eligible short-term rental Hosts to be registered with the city, or have Class B status, to continue hosting short-term rental stays.

To comply with the new rules you can:
Register with the city

a) Learn about the registration process on the city’s website and apply if eligible under the new rules. ​​
b) Once you are registered with the City of New York, be sure to add your registration details to your listing(s) on Airbnb.

OR

Host long-term stays

a) Update your minimum night stay to 30 nights or more. To learn more about hosting longer stays, check out this guide.
b) Ensure your calendar availability is up to date.
If you are not able to register or host long-term stays, here is what you need to know:
• As early as August 14—if you have not entered a registration # or claimed an exemption—Airbnb will block calendars to prevent new short-term reservations for September 5 and beyond.
• On September 5, listings without a registration # or exemption claim will be converted to long-term stays (if a Host’s calendar settings allow stays of 30 nights or more) OR deactivated.
• Existing reservations with check-in on or before December 1 will not be canceled to mitigate impact to Hosts and guests. To comply with the short-term rental regulations, we will be refunding all Airbnb fees associated with these stays after check-in occurs.
• Existing short-term rental reservations with check-in dates on or after December 2 will be canceled and refunded.
• Starting September 5, the city will know which Hosts are unregistered and may impose penalties.
• We will honor any Host-requested cancellations of stays with check-in on or after September 5—consequence-free—with no penalties or impact to Superhost status.
What this means for guests
Existing reservations with check-in on or before December 1 will not be canceled by Airbnb. Guests will not be able to book short-term stays at unregistered listings in New York City with check-in on or after September 5.
What happens next?
If you have questions or need help, please contact Customer Support.

To share your thoughts on New York City’s near ban on short-term rentals, join the thousands of Hosts and guests who have made their voices heard by sending an email to the Mayor.

Airbnb, Inc.

**[Contact details removed -  Community Center Guidelines]

I cancelled all my guest without penalties 

Hi @Gavriella0 ,

Thank you for the response. In this case, maybe it is best not to accept any bookings until we learn more. Being liable for these reservations does not seem fair at all to the hosts. I have a few reservations after September 5th, so its looking like i need to cancel those 😞

Same Boat here. 

You are lucky you got a "live" person.  Just curious, at what point is the Mayor's Office  going to start reviewing applications and notifying us with our registration number....Sept. 5 is around the corner.  Its an absolute struggle living in NYC!!!! 

I applied on August 16th and haven't  back. did you already received your registration number? I see some hosts still able to host short term. I am curious if they got approved? Did anyone here got approved?

Good morning Gabriella. My name Misbau, I live in NYC, question: I apply for registration OSE about 3 weeks a go I have not receives the registration yet please advise me what can I do get fast as possible. 
Thank you 

same here, I applied on August 16th haven't received anything

Hello Gavriella0.

I'm Yuko, a host in Manhattan.

About a month ago I registered for "Class B".

But, I haven't received my registration number yet.

When I contacted Airbnb on August 13th,
They was told, "I just have to wait," and it ended up being September 5th.
I have 10 reservations before December 2nd. (Sep,Oct,Nov)
I've already registered, but it's not authorized, so if I don't cancel it, I'll be fined, right?
What should I do?

Will I receive a number if approved?

My English not good. so I'm sorry for the strange sentences.