Ayman38
Level 1
Chicago, IL

Hey everyone, I just started hosting on Airbnb about a month ago. I’ve had little experience with Airbnb in the past so I didn’t really have a standard to base my experience as a host against. But so far so good, I have to say. I’ve had about five separate guests - all of which have been relatively respectful, responsive and clean. 

question for everyone here - what’re some things I should be expecting as a host? For example I get upset when there are still dirty dishes in the sink. I’m starting to realize that there are certain things I need to come to accept as the norm. The other day While cleaning after a guest, I opened the garbage can to throw something in and found used tampons. I realize this is normal and my first reaction was to be furious but then I realized I wasn’t allowed to be mad - so what are other things similar to my examples that I should expect? And what are some things I’m justified in being upset about.

6 Replies 6
Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

Finding what is "normal" and what you are justified in terms of response, is more individual than you would think, @Ayman38 .  I have mellowed over the last 4 years and am more acceptable than I used to be.  While you might think cleanliness or the lack of it is the biggest issue, for me, it is lack of boundaries or consideration.  For example I had a lady take food out of my refrigerator to use for a picnic lunch she was making...WTF!?  Or I had a group of 4 young people sit at the dining table which is right outside my bedroom door and carry on a discussion at 11 at night.   You will have certain buttons that can be pushed but your norm and the guest norm are usually going to be different.  

There are several really good discussion threads on what a new host should know.  I believe you can find them in the Community Center Help section using search terms new host

Michelle53
Level 10
Chicago, IL

@Ayman38    I have a small, closed bin in the bathroom specifically for feminine products, and other "sensitive" material. It's lined with a plastic bag that makes disposal easy. It's separate from the regular open bathroom bin, and separate from kitchen waste. I prefer that people don't flush those items, in case they block up the toilet (which has happened).  I have a little information card that requests people use the small bin.

I've been hosting since 2016, and I still get a bit grumpy when people don't wash dishes.   But I usually mention that in private feedback by saying "it is always much appreciated when guests go the extra mile and do their dishes".  

Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

@Ayman38 

Used tampons in the garbage can!? I would be thinking Thank God they weren't thrown in the toilet! 

I have found that when you charge good money you are less concerned with the odd things that people do or the inconveniences that you have to deal with. It is when my prices are extremely low that I think Cleaning up after these people is a waste of my time.

Kemi6
Level 10
Johannesburg, South Africa

@Ayman38 

Expectations are relative I realized, when it comes to Airbnb. You have to set your expectations and communicate it to your prospective guests, as well as your actual guests. It is your home and you know what you find acceptable and what you don't. It's important to let your guests know that.

For example, on our description page before you book, we have it written that this is our home and not a hotel or bed and breakfast. That helps set an expectation. 

We have a guidebook printed out and put in our guest suites. In those, we ask our guests at checkout to help take out the trash and clean up any dirty dishes and tidy up. And we are grateful that they help do these. 

So, communicate those expectations. 

I hope you have wonderful experiences. 

Ian611
Level 4
Edinburgh, United Kingdom

We must be lucky then ,only been a host since September 19. Every guest so far tidied up before leaving except for some student nurses who forgot to empty the dishwasher one time.They had booked the flat for 4 weeks with them leaving at the weekends in between .They are coming back for another two weeks in March.

Maia29
Level 10
Anchorage, AK

I charge a cleaning fee so I don't mind cleaning up after guests. If you want guests to do a lot of chores, then you need to post signs and make that very clear in your listing.