I would like to decline having Airbnb collect and remit use taxes for me this year. I will collect and remit them just as I do for the direct bookings. How do I change the setting?

I would like to decline having Airbnb collect and remit use taxes for me this year. I will collect and remit them just as I do for the direct bookings. How do I change the setting?

I would like to decline having Airbnb collect and remit Use Taxes to my state . I will collect and remit them just as I do for my direct bookings. How do I change the settings? Is there a down side to this course?

Thank you, Hosts.

3 Replies 3

@Harriet103 The ability to opt out of Airbnb's automatic tax collection might not be available in all regions, as tax laws vary greatly. Additionally, Airbnb's help center says, they automatically collect taxes applicable to the address you enter for your listing. You may check your listing if you can opt out of the automatic collection of taxes or you may also contact Airbnb support for further information about Airbnb collecting taxes on behalf of hosts. Hope this helps! 

Lorna170
Level 10
Swannanoa, NC

@Harriet103   I am not aware that there is any setting, toggle or option checkbox to opt out of tax collection for anyone whose State, County or municipality has entered into a collection contract with AirBnB.  

I keep a spreadsheet of all my bookings.  Tax columns for direct bookings are noted separately from the OTAs that (purportedly) pay my taxes.  On the tax reports that I have to file monthly, quarterly and annually, I report the gross earnings from all bookings, the taxes that I have taken directly and then in the prepayment or credit line I enter the taxes that AirBnB collected.  Fairly straightforward.  

Do your filing forms have a line for prepaid (by AirBnB) or a tax credit?

Wilson-And-Emily0
Level 2
Williamsburg, VA

I'm in the same boat.   The support is absolutely garbage for this issue and Airbnb seems determined to take away my ability to pay my own **bleep** taxes.  I pay monthly, my county confirms they see nothing from Airbnb so I do not trust that the payments are getting made unless I do it myself.  Airbnb needs to rectify this.  I've been opted out of automatic remittance since I started in 2020, and this is the first year they've taken away the opt-out button. 😡