If you have an “extra room” in your space, what did you turn it into and how is it working out?

Amy2092
Level 2
Kampala, Uganda

If you have an “extra room” in your space, what did you turn it into and how is it working out?

We’re buying a new property that will have a master bedroom and a second bedroom that is quite large and will have 2 queen beds. So 3 beds; 6 guests. That’s about right for the size of the living/dining room. There’s another bedroom, however, that is small (I’m unsure it will fit a queen), but has a balcony with a spectacular view of downtown and the river.  I can’t decide what to do with it… whether to still put the full bed and keep the listing at 6 guests with 4 beds or use the room for something else entirely…

I’m curious - for those of you with rooms that are not bedroom/living/dining room - what did you do and how is it working out?  

Amy B
4 Replies 4
Mike-And-Jane0
Top Contributor
England, United Kingdom

@Amy2092 we had a single bedroom that would have taken us to 7 guests where the kitchen/dining area is only really good for 6. As a result it is now a lovely, large, locked cupboard.

In your case 2 queen beds in a room is not ideal so if you can fit one into the 'spare' room it would be better.

Amanda660
Level 10
Auchenblae, United Kingdom

Until last spring we had a separate Dining Room which had only been used a handful

of times in 3 1/2 years - guests preferring to sit at the table in the open plan kitchen/diner.  

We turned the Dining Room into a  downstairs 4th bedroom (double bed) and bought a lovely 8 seater table to replace the 6 seater.  The  configuration works much better for us attracting a different audience particularly with Staycationers and folks attending nearby weddings.   Many have commented that a downstairs bedroom (next to a shower room) works well for older guests as it avoids stairs. 

Den, library, or game room?  It would be nice to create a space that capitalized on those views.  

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Amy2092  I don't any extra space  in my home, but how about a home office? So many people work online these days, even if they're on holiday, I think it would be an appreciated attraction. And pretty nice to have an awesome view while you're working. 

I really think it looks bad to try to cram beds in spaces where there is little room to move around them. But maybe it could be an office/ single bed space.