ABB promised refund then renaged

Tessa48
Level 2
Cape Town, ZA

ABB promised refund then renaged

I am so upset.  I've been a superhost for 6 years. I always call to check protocol when unsure and follow advice. Wgen a compsny employee gives advice the company is bound to honour it by law. But recently I called airbnb as a future guest repeatedly was phoning worried about crime in cape town and didn't want to restrict themselves to using a bit less water.  I explained several times it's fine. ABB advised to tell guest that if they abused water restrictions and fines levied it would be for their account and if they cancelled I eoukx get paid 50% per my strict policy. I did. they cancelled . I called a second time and was told tgat indeed I would get 13660 refunded on 5 March. I then received another notice that the guest was reimbursed as water issue is an extenuating circumstance . not only was no notification of this communicated to me as a host in cape town  , but ABB specifically told me in 2 occassions I wouldn't lose my money. I would be paid  out. when I called I was put into a case manager who only worked nights could speak only around 1am and supervisor later after about 3 m

nights of this and 10 or more calls finally admitted they might need to honour their word as they listened to the tapes. Donnie was his name. Catherine the case manager prior. He then confirmed this thst he would try help Then they simply deleted his message and closed the case and said the thread is finished . that's fraud. a company advised something through 2 employees it's all on tape it's their mistake to fix. morally and legally this is just wrong. I would never have written to the guest without their specific instruction to do so and I would have glad a 30 000 booking. I have been renting in my ABB income and I support my mother with it. Yet to pay for their own mistake cost them nothing in the billions they make off hosts. I am disgusted. They seem to have turned into the corporate bullies that squash through greed that they started out trying to cirumvent. I used to rave about this company. I can only use social media to warn others not to trust a word they say when they instruct you what to do or tell you their protocols

3 Replies 3
Tessa48
Level 2
Cape Town, ZA

If anyone can advise how to take this higher and get fair honest resolution please do. excuse my spellos I am typing on phone . I just get stone walled.  

Gordon0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Tweet Airbnb for help.
But I'm not actually surprised that the situation there has been accepted as extenuating circumstances. Not nice, but sort of understandable. 

Marit-Anne0
Level 10
Bergen, Norway

@Tessa48

I suppose the water issue comes under natural disaster, which is again accepted as an extenuating circumstance.  

According to airbnb T&C, that you must agree to when signing up, their decicions are final and irreversible, so attempting to take it further may be waste of time and energy.