ALL NEW HOSTS - CHECKING HOW MUCH INDUCTION WAS OFFERED ON HOSTING

Anuj2
Level 2
Waterloo, Australia

ALL NEW HOSTS - CHECKING HOW MUCH INDUCTION WAS OFFERED ON HOSTING

Guys have reviwed the policies of AIRBNB or just trust god forbid anything goes wrong you will be covered. Any inductions session or induction video was shared or send to cover how to react in different situations. Specially if the guest does a non visible damage (eg your hometheatre system which you dont use daily) then if you do not report in 48 hours AIRBNB is not reponsible to pay any benefit. 

Sharing is a very big risk I being new host had come to this forum for guidance but confused as how one should handle a non visible damage as you cannot take photos of the hometheatre system which look fine but not operational.

5 Replies 5
David126
Level 10
Como, CO

AirBnB is a booking site, not sure what you mean by induction as I would use that in a very different context.

There is some general information available on their site, but when it comes down to it you are running a business.

The extent of cover provided by ABB is at best limited, in your example how would you show it was a guest issue, electronics go bad without host involvement.

David

Hi David,

When one is not running AIRBNB as a source of income then his understanding of AIRBNB is like a booking site. When you let some stranger inside your house then you are carrying some risks. 

I believe its fair on AIRBNB to carry out induction on roles and responsibilities, dealing unforseen circumstances and how much are you covered when they say covered. Similarly when you take a Car insurance you shop around and ensure you have taken the best of the cover and also any know risks attached with it.

I as a new did not knew that AiRBNB do not cover you for the incidents not reported in 48 hours. I had a non visible damage done by the guest and when I got to know it was too late. Do you know about these kind of rules?

Thanks

Anuj

Anuj2
Level 2
Waterloo, Australia

Answering your second part:

Well when it comes to proving things then I would probably work on completely opposite theory that how can you say it was not them when I left for 2 days outside city and came back it stopped working. As per my posting for room it did not include them to unplug my system since I was not there. 

You are now comparing AIRBNB with a hotel rules where one should have a security because I know you will suggest to put them in lock and key. Now if you are a host how many times you put your TV in lock & key when you go to work (for eg).

It was a lesson learned for me and hopefully I can make other new hosts aware of that. Since for someone else this damage could be far more greater in value.  When you rent a place it is expected of you to handover is same state. Which did not happen in this case. The worst was when the guest was still living in the house I asked them did you do anything the explaination changed from day 1 to last where they told me exactly what they were trying to do. But by that 48 hours were over.

Thanks

Anuj

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Hi @Anuj2

Welcome to BNB. Do read through information BNB provides on its site for hosts including the help section.

Pay special attention to the following

1. Make sure your house rules are comprehensive (noise, cleaning, having other guests in your home (don't allow them to do this), only those who have booked staying etc)

2. Decide what cancellation policy to have.

3. Set a deposit for your home

4. Don't have instant book turned on. Chat to guests and make sure you are comfortable with them (through Airbnb messaging) before accepting a booking

5. Make sure your house insurance allows you to have guests - dont rely on the BNB guarantee

6. Check your guests profile to see if they have reviews and take note of them

7. Have good photos on your listing, a comprehensive description of your place (including which parts of the house they can access and any rules about use of your kitchen/washing machine etc

8. Never cancel a guest unless there are exceptional circumanstances - BNB will penalise you and you will drop down the listings.

Good luck with your hosting.

Helen

The AirBnB policies are described on their web site, perhaps they could be better set out and some are definitley confusing.

I think there is definitely a market for an upgraded support function, a Gold Plan where those who need to could subscribe to a more personal help service. There are companies who will help you manage your listing, I do not know if there is any suitable options near you.

With regards to the Host Guarantee I think you simply do not understand what it is and assume it is much broader is scope.

David