Additional guests

Alesia8
Level 2
Albuquerque, NM

Additional guests

So I have an interesting question that I didn’t see any information on.  We have a home that we are renting the top floor for guests up to 6 people. Well today I had a reservation request to not only rent upstairs but also wanted to set up tents (at least 2) in our yard.  I’m not sure how to respond and have no idea about charging for the use of our yard. They plan on having 15 people! We have the room but not sure how to charge or if we should even accept.  I certainly don’t want 15 strangers running in and out of our home at the same time. Help!

5 Replies 5
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Alesia8  That sounds like an unreasonable request, I'd stick to your normal guest count and tell these guests that you're very sorry, but you won't be able to accommodate that, and wish them luck in finding a listing which will be suitable for the size of their group.

As you say, an extra 9 people is a huge amount to be going in and out all day and night, not to mention the increased potential for damages, 15 people flushing who knows what down the toilet and possibly stopping it up, none of which an extra guest charge might cover. And if you have neighbors, how are they going to feel about 9 people camping in your yard, with a lot more potential for outside noise?

There will also be considerably more cars coming and going- is there sufficient parking?

Susan151
Level 10
Somerville, MA

@Alesia8 Do you have enough bathrooms to service 15 people? Sounds like my version of a living hell!

Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Alesia8 

The listing offers accomodation for max 6 persons, as described in the listing.

Any other accomodation provided is not within the context of the listing.

Unless you create a second listing for a camping site in your garden on Airbnb or elsewhere, the reservation request is not possible.

The "tent guest' also have to shower, use toilet, use kitchen etc... ..so they will be in the house too.

Maybe this party should  look for a more suitable accomodation.

Best regards,

Emiel

Lawrene0
Level 10
Florence, Canada

Okay, no, you don't want this, @Alesia8 . How do I know? I used to let extra people set up their tent around our treehouse listing.

I stopped that. It gets out of hand.

They will all use your facilities and towels and supplies but don't want to pay anything because "we brought our own bed", the tenting people will end up indoors anyway, they find it not private enough because the in-laws are just beside them, and they ding you on stars in the review as if their father-in-law's snoring is your fault.

Don't break your own rules! It's just a nightmare of you being walked all over.

I was finding that every time - I think there were three times? Maybe four? - I let a larger group bring their tents, they were nothing like me and my friends when we camp. They were awful. 

Here's a sample reply you can use if you like:

"Sorry, Bob, but we just aren't set up for that. I realize this means you will be finding a suitable listing for your holiday, but I understand completely. Thanks for asking, and all the best!"

@Alesia8  You should always beware of people who try to push out on your boundaries before they've even met you. It's a near-certainty that they will be monstrous once they get comfortable.

There are plenty of campgrounds and other affordable accommodations around Albuquerque. These people should be looking for a place that fits their needs, not trying to turn your place into something it's not. 

Absolutely decline these guests. But also, I do recommend filling out your listing more thoroughly and being specific about details such as what kind of pets you have, and which areas of the house are shared. The general vagueness might be preventing you from getting better requests from savvy guests.