Advice & 1 question

Albert278
Level 2
Vancouver, Canada

Advice & 1 question

Just a quick submission.

1.  I ‘ve learned never to give someone a negative review. Airbnb won’t come to your aid when they trash you “ because it’s your guests opinion “ 

2. What do you do when Airbnb says they can’t pay you your fees because they have to get it from your guest 1st .. and you’ve waited a week ?

I had refused cash while they were still here but told them to go through the system. Which they did. 

20 Replies 20
Marie82
Level 10
New South Wales, Australia

@Albert278 I had a similar case, with guests, the same day they decide to stay an extra day. I was never notified till cleaner show up at the apartment, guests wanted to pay cash to my cleaner and I refuse to take cash and asked guests to pay online, they never paid and I lost 1 day of hosting + cleaner fees to come back the next day.

I wanted to stay legal not to accept cash, but in case guests refuse to pay even with all proof,  in messaging system Airbnb won't push the guests to pay either.

Many parts of the Airbnb system is broken and this is 1.

So I’m not the only 1 Marie .. Since the guest went online 3 days into their stay & apparently paid the extra amount .. it even appeared on my account.. but I called Air bnb the day before they left as I still hadn’t received the money.. they appeared not to know & said I’d have to wait up to 48 hrs .. that was a week ago .. they’re still apparently trying to get “some of the money” from the guest who’s left, to pay me the amount owed.

They need a shake up, with the people running their resolution centre. 

I’ve tried to escalate my previous case & kept getting red flagged back to the same supervisor. 

No accountability. 

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Albert278  Your guests can't see your review of them until they are both published, so if they trash you in a review, it's not because of the review you left. Sometimes guests don't leave a review until they get a notification that you have left one, and if they know they were bad guests,they'll leave a bad review because they just assume you have left a bad one for them. In that case, wait until day 13.75 to leave your review, if you don't get notification that they've written one. Then they may not see it in time to leave one themselves.

If you fail to leave a review for a bad guest, the only people you are hurting are your fellow hosts- that's how these bad guests get passed around from host to host, because hosts like you decline to leave a review.

So, sorry, but never leaving a negative review is terrible advice.

Sorry to say Sarah .. but it’s true ... I posted a detailed response to your question, but it doesn’t appear...I’ll try again. 

1.I didn’t post a review 

2.they posted hers 

3.they said it was her opinion.. even though they had all texts of the conversation & she was lying 

I pulled my listing & it hurt my business 

Don’t do it unless you’re willing to pay later. 

I’ve just had to call a plumber, repair a cigarette burning in my vinyl deck, tons of garbage.. & up 2 nights after 3am with the noise with “ approved guests”

still waiting for all my money. 

And yes now it’s a sad day.. but I WILL NOT give them a bad review.. sorry but by dealing with the resolution center I’ve learned the hard way that it’s just not worth it. I my bad experience they will not support hosts. 

BTW I like your 13.75 rule, but I wouldn’t trust it to always work. 

Gordon0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

This doesn't make any sense, @Albert278. What's your rationale for not reviewing, I assume you know how the system works? 

It worked fine Gordon, until I had a problem with 1 guest & contacted the resolution centre. I’ll never do that again.

Only after I provide receipts for damages.  

But I will never post a bad review.. see my response to Sarah. They need to change their system to show more support for hosts. Sorry I can’t fix that. 

@Albert278 

it doesn't make any sense to me either... maybe it's my bad English...

We all know Airbnb will rarely remove guest's reviews even if proven a false, retaliatory and pure lie but what confuses me is it seems Airbnb did remove her review and then posted it again (at least that's how you replied to her review). 

Did Airbnb repost her review before or after you filed a damage claim?

Before or after you replied to her review?

Do you think that's related?

Hi Branka, thanks for your remarks..yes quite confusing to me too.

I was doing the right thing to alert other hosts ..in a minor way, with my review of what to expect with these guests. I had initially responded with a poor star rating.

The guests wanted to get out ahead of it, after I originally made the mistake of showing them some pics, I was sent from the cleaners ..so they fabricated everything imaginable... a young loud group, I endured throughout their stay,( which was tolerable )  and was shocked to say the least, more of what they said in the review then how they behaved during their stay, or the condition they left my home.

I contacted ABNB and they took down both reviews as I recall.

Airbnb paid me some minor compensation for extra cleaning services.

If I had never posted the poor rating review this would have saved me so much grief.

Weeks later the resolution centre claimed it was just her opinion, but it was so concocked, (exposed through our texts ), I was hit again when Air bnb  reposted her review after the 14 day period knowing it wasn't factual from the texts and said the time for me to respond to her review had expired.

Therefore, there was nothing they could do for me. Just a little angry.. lol.

I know I've been blessed with all my previous guests, and I just wasn't prepared of the backlash.

My most recent guests should definitely be reported, but sorry fellow home owners, after this experience I have no confidence that the resolution centre will protect my interests as a host.  

@Albert278  What you are not understanding, despite every host who has responded here explaining to you, is that the guest would have written that bad, lying review whether you had left a review or not. She did it as retaliation for being asked to pay for damages, not because she saw your review of her, which she wouldn't have been able to see until they were both published.

And guests can't see the star ratings hosts leave for them at all. They can only see the written review.

Gordon0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

I'm none the wiser, @Albert278. Good luck doing/or not doing whatever 'it' is.  

It was just a wake up call Gordon... I've been so fortunate & grateful.

The "it" is, to see some changes to the Air bnb support & reconciliation system for hosts , but mine is a relative small issue compared to most, I'm sure.

Thanks for your Good wishes & continued success!

@Albert278  I still don't see how declining to leave a bad review for your terrible guest helped you in any way. The guest wrote a bad review because you rightfully requested money for damages. That's quite a common scenario. But it has nothing whatsoever to do with you not leaving an honest review.

And apparently, no other experienced host here can make sense of your reasoning, either.

Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

Leaving a review or not leaving a review makes no difference whether or not the guest will leave you a bad review. Reviews are blind. @Albert278  I don't understand your thinking at all.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Albert278  If your written review of this guest was anything like the response you wrote to her review, that is why your review was pulled. Any mention of Airbnb involvement in a case, in a review, is grounds for getting the review removed. When you review, just stick to honestly reviewing the guest's behavior, do not ever mention that you had a resolution dispute.