Air BnB Once again refused to honor our rules, even though we have been a 9 time superhost!

Julie534
Level 2
Breckenridge, CO

Air BnB Once again refused to honor our rules, even though we have been a 9 time superhost!

We have a published 6 person limit in our small 2 bedroom cabin and a guest booked over 2 months ago and just yesterday informed me they were bringing 8 people and 2 dogs. I told them that was not acceptable and to contact Air BnB to cancel as that did not follow our published rules. Air BnB sent me an email stating that I would only get a $97 payout and the guest would be refunded $253. Since I was driving I wasn't sure how many nights they had booked but was concerned at the amount they were being refunded. I called Air BnB and was told they only had a 1 night booking and we were receiving the $100 minus the $3 service fee. The $253 was their deposit - which also doesn't make sense as on my profile it says I have a $1000 deposit requirement. In any event I was satisfied with the $97 payout I was told I was receiving in both an email and by a rep on the phone.

I then I received a new email stating I would get NO payout, and the guest was refunded everything! I have gone back and forth with Air BnB they even threatened that I could lose me Superhost status because I didn't honor a guest who was clearly breaking the my house rules! My calendar now has had a Holiday night blocked for over 2 months and I get no revenue from that time. This with a home that is over 91% booked all year long! I have 222 five star reviews after only 2 years and Air BnB treats me this way? We will be moving to VRBO and joining in the class action suit against Air BnB. They are completely acting without any integrity.

32 Replies 32
Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Julie534  it is interesting how Airbnb continues to favor guests who break house rules on behalf of the host even now after Orinda shooting, bad press and their official statement about "10 days sprint" . Why am I not surprised?

10 days sprint...ok... we will see in which direction.

I know what direction I'll be sprinting in: Back to VRBO.

Lisa723
Level 10
Quilcene, WA

@Ann72  Yes. Airbnb did not respond to the complaint so the court ruled in my favor by default. They did pay up.

Ute42
Level 10
Germany

@Emilia42 

Further up in this thread You've posted:

"If a guest violates a house rule, the host and guest are encouraged to communicate and resolve the issue. Creating House Rules helps Airbnb CX mediate a disagreement; however, Airbnb CX cannot enforce House Rules. If a host asks a guest to leave because of a House Rules violation, the guest will be refunded for the nights not spent and Airbnb CX can help facilitate that. If a guest refuses to leave, then the case will be escalated and be handled on a case-by-case basis."

Where did You find that? I was loocking at the airbnb TOS and could not find this stipulation.

@Emilia42 

Thank You, I didn't know that they have this policy in writing.

So there are 2 ways for a guest to cut his or her stay short:

1. Cancel and pay the cancellation fees

2. Violate the houserules and get the money back

@Ute42 

Oh, I already know how I would get out of a booking without paying a dime 😉

Just kidding, I could never do that .... but there are plenty of people who would!

Cathie19
Level 10
Darwin, Australia

@Julie534 , @Rebecca181 (my new hero) @Emilia42 , @Ute42  @Lisa723 

All we can hope for is to stay united in voice, our house rules and stay fearless in action. Then we may be recognised as more than pushovers. Maybe we also need to “follow” and constructive consult, by comment, on Airbnb executive pages till it’s in their faces.

@Cathie19 We continue to 'fight the good fight' over at this thread here - Currently the most popular thread in the forums - but not featured under 'Top Posts', for some reason. A few of us are still hanging on... https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Hosting/Mass-Shooting-in-Airbnb-house-in-Orinda-last-night-4-dea...

Thanks @Rebecca181 . I’ve already had my say on this thread, as well as going to Brian Chesky’s personal twitter account and stating some views through tweets.

Elena87
Level 10
СПБ, Russia

@Julie534 

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/1515/what-should-i-do-if-my-guest-brings-extra-people

If you can accommodate the larger group, and you'd like to charge extra for these guests, you can send your guest a change request that includes the additional cost per night for the extra guests.

If you’re unable to accommodate the larger number of guests, let your guest know that your place isn’t the right fit for their group size, and ask them to cancel their reservation. They’ll be refunded according to your cancellation policy.

Looks like customer service are not following the guidance stated above.

Karen2351
Level 2
Old Lyme, CT

Hello All,

I'm reading this conversation because I'm contemplating switching to Airbnb from VRBO.  HomeAway/VRBO was recently bought by Expedia, so they are not the user friendly company they used to be.  They charge fees to guests and hosts at the same time.  I ask friends and repeat guests to deal with me directly to avoid those fees.  I still pay HomeAway the annual fee for the listing.  The reason I'm leaving is because now they don't pay the landlord until after the guest checks in.  I'm booking now for August, and I don't want to wait for my money for 10 months while HomeAway holds onto it.  They told me I don't qualify for the payment up front because I don't rent year round (I have a summer home only).

I read somewhere in the Airbnb payments info that they might be willing to pay after getting the payment from the guest, which is what HomeAway/VRBO used to do until their third party transaction company quit.  Now after reading this conversation, I don't think I could trust Airbnb.  My only advice is not to rush to  VRBO.

Karen

Airbnb also charges fees both to host and guest, and you don't get payment until 24 hours after the check-in.

Julie534
Level 2
Breckenridge, CO

She booked with only one guest then I asked for how many she was actually bringing and she  didn't answer me for over 2 months. WE had a strict policy in place and a well published guest count of no more than 6. 

Massimiliano108
Level 2
Catania, Italy

Airbnb doesnt protect the hosts. Protect the business. This is clear. Airbnb doens't care about your rules (in your own country or in your own house), airbnb care about the business. 

SO, in my experience, i got bad reviews only from bad (very bad , annoying, demanding) guests, which does'nt appy the spirit of Airbnb (if any spirit is left). People who dont understand what it meas to be hosted in a private house, what is the difference between hotel, bnb and home rentals. They (the guests) know that they have a big power in their hands: the review. 

Airbnb doesnt control the review. They say "if the review comply the rules is correct" . But airbnb doenst consider as rule the authencity of the review. Airbnb dont care if the guest invented the review. Airbnb dont consider offensive when the guest lies. 

I had an american guest who started complaining before to arrive. She started to "not understand" before she arrived. She started to demand before she arrived. And she continued for the first 24 hours (after she arrived) to bomb me with a lot of email , questions, demands, instructions.. 

In 8 years i never had such type of guest. I informed airbnb that this guest was "weird" and to protect me against any bad review. I asked airbnb to contact the guest to ask them if they were still happy to stay. Silence.. 

I got a bad review and airbnb, wihout investigation, accepted the review. 1 star. My average reviews for this fantastic falt is 4.8 stars.

Unbelievable. 

Guests have the power. Stop. Be aware.

Regards