Airbnb discount

Becky202
Level 2
Ontario, Canada

Airbnb discount

A guest has used instant book to reserve some dates, but the quote was waaay low. I explained to her right away that this was an incorrect quote provided by Airbnb, sent her an alteration request for the correct amount, which she accepted. She then sent me a screenshot showing a discount offered by Airbnb, and explained that she was told her first booking would be 20% off. Why would this discount come out of my income and not the Airbnb fees? Am I missing something? The rate that was used as a discount was incorrectly low as well. Very frustrating!

11 Replies 11
Becky202
Level 2
Ontario, Canada

I would also like to add that my frustration is not with the renter but rather with Airbnb. 

@Becky202     Check your prices and the area that covers discounts for one week/one month etc. Then check that smart pricing is off, or at least has a minimum that can be charged. Check your calendar and see if there are any markers for discounts for certain days/weeks.  If all is correct contact Airbnb, it may be a glitch, or are they offering discounts (at the hosts expense) unbeknownst to hosts for first time bookers,  would be good to know if that is the case. Please let us know.   p.s. I recommend you take screenshots of the applicable pages so you have time stamped documentation to send to Airbnb.

Becky202
Level 2
Ontario, Canada

Thanks for your response @Ange2 . I have already done all of that more than once and the rates keep changing. Some have even increased above my posted rates. That is an issue in itself. But I’m most confused about Airbnb offering a discounted rate to an instant booking without any explanation to me, the homeowner, yet taking it out of my profit.

@Becky202    I suggest you contact Airbnb. They do not look at this forum, it is for hosts to help other hosts if they can.  Here are the many ways to contact Airbnb:  https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Help/Contact-Airbnb-A-Community-Help-Guide-UPDATED/m-p/413245

Jeff158
Level 10
Caernarfon, United Kingdom

@Becky202 

Your new listing offers a 20% discount for the 1st 3 bookings, its something you've switched on when publishing the listing. Not sure if this still works, go to the calender and check if the dates upto the 11th September have a small luggage tag on them. Click the tag and choose the option to cancel the discount.

Otherwise ring CS and get them to remove it.

Untitled3.png

Becky202
Level 2
Ontario, Canada

@Ange2  Yes I have already messaged them and the guest has as well. So far neither one of us has heard back from them. I was hoping that someone else here might have an experience or possible explanation/solution for this.

@Becky202   Price changes and weird discounts has happened to me and I received no satisfactory response from Airbnb.  I just looked at your listings and the prices are different in different months, could be a glitch and smart pricing has been turned on without your knowledge.  The only solution I have, which may be of no help, is to recache your browser, reset your prices and parameters and save them again and see if that helps. I have noticed that my parameters change without my input so I check them every so often to make sure they are what I have chosen.

Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

@Becky202 

@Jeff158 is correct. Because you have a new listing, Airbnb suggests that you offer 20% off to the first three guests that book. When you set up your listing, Airbnb gives you to option to click yes or no for this feature (with a suggestion of yes.) I just did it with my new listings. This is the e-mail message that I got after I set up my new listing.

Screen Shot 2019-06-23 at 10.53.39 AM.png

Becky202
Level 2
Ontario, Canada

@Emilia42 @Jeff158 

I have gone back and checked the things that you have referenced and can clearly see that my listing offers this discount. I do not remember selecting this but in searching back I did receive an email from Airbnb confirming this. Thanks so much for the help! I will message my guest to let her know that I will honour the quote that Airbnb first gave her. Although the original price that was discounted is lower than it should be, none of this is her fault. That is a separate issue that I will take up with Airbnb.

@Becky202

I put the discount on my new listing too but I immediately went into my calendar and raised a bunch of prices so the discount wouldn't impact my bottom line so much. Once I got three reservations I updated my prices back to what I had originally intended.

Becky202
Level 2
Ontario, Canada

@Emilia42  Great idea! I will do that too moving forward. Thank you.