Airbnb guests not clear about booking requirements and obligations

Airbnb guests not clear about booking requirements and obligations

I am a new host, I actually haven't had the chance to be one yet!!

I have prepared my home and listing meticulously, I keep reading and checking Airbnb suggestions and rules to make sure that I am correct as a host and I believe I am polite in my communication with people. As an Airbnb host I would love guests to enjoy and at the same time respect my home and house rules.

Having just completed my communication with a second potential guest I feel that maybe Airbnb could help hosts more by ensuring that guests know what Guest's obligations are before booking. I have spent a huge amount of time and energy copy/pasting Airbnb rules for Verified Airbnb members after I was accused of being out of line as a host. 

1) My first guest booked for ONE person and turned up as a family of four. When we turned them away and agreed to waive our moderate cancellation policy and return his money minus expenses he requested all his money to be sent to him saying that

there is nothing mentioned in the reservation or the website in general that children will be counted as guests, who are allowed to share their parents' reservation in all hotels and resorts thru all booking websites, unless it is mentioned clearly in the reservation" .

Apart from Airbnb rules, my listing clearly states that "the apartment is not suible for children and that extra guests for overnight stays are not allowed".

I then had to copy/paste all pertinent Airbnb rules from the site and sent them to my guest.

2)  Following a booking inquiry from the second guest I asked him who he would be traveling with, whether he had read and agreed to all the house rules and whether he could complete his verification process which was missing government ID  (all of which Airbnb tells hosts is well within their rights to do).

I was told an hour ago by my potential guest

- that he has more important things to do than sit by the Airbnb site all day

instructing me to complete the Airbnb verification and providing governmental ID does not sound right to me! Do you have a written authorisation from Airbnb to allow you to give such instructions to client? Are you their lawyer? Usually people try to make things simple instead of complicating it. Such instruction should come from them and not from the users".

- "be more easy and flexible with my clients, dear" 

As I mentioned above I am a polite person and it is my intention to welcome guests and hot have arguments with them. Obviously I did not instruct the above guest. Quoted from my email

"Finally could you complete your verification process and provide Airbnb with a government ID? I hope these questions are OK with you. They will only help both you and me make sure that this is the right rental for you."

At this point I am feeling that Airbnb guest members don't really know too much about their obligations or what booking requirements might entail. I also feel quite bullied by "guests" and very disappointed. 

Finally I would like to point out that there is a HUGE difference between a verified member who has a verified government ID and one who doesn't. This should be a standard requirement by AIrbnb for Verified members and I don't think it should be up to the host to have to request this. 

All the best to everyone

Many thanks for your time

Marina

3 Replies 3
Sharon114
Level 10
Lincoln, United Kingdom

Hi Marina, I would not worry too much about these rather nasty people.  Most guests do understand the rules and regulations and you are perfectly within your rights to decline any guest not meeting full verification requirements  There is no need to apologize or feel that you have to explain yourself.  I had a quick look at your profile and noticed that it is blank.  It is usual for hosts to give a little personal information such as who you are, your likes, hobbies/interests etc.  Profiles work both ways and it is useful for potential guests to know a little something about the people they will be staying with.

Good luck with your future hosting.

David126
Level 10
Como, CO

There is another thread on here suggesting you include in your description at the emd a message that they need to acknowledge when contacting you to show that they have read it.

A lot, most people? seem to look at it as a cheap option to a hotel and just look at the basics.

I would not waste your time trying to educate them, just stick to your requirements, if they want a hotel they need to book one.

David
City-Limits-Ranch0
Level 10
Watsonville, CA

Good for you sticking to your rules with the guest that was actually a family of four.  I might have caved in, but will chant 'Marina, Marina' if it ever happens to me.

After the guest makes their reservation with me I sometimes send a message confirming their booking:

"You have a reservation for two adults.  Will you be traveling with any children or pets? Please note that all children are considered to be people and must be on the reservation.  Pets are permitted at no extra charge but you must let us know before arrival if you will be bringing a pet."

I send this if the guest was not  very communicative about their travel plans, companions etc.

I wouldn't send it to someone who says upfront that they and their friend are traveling together on the last leg of their vacation before returning to the UK to go back to college in the fall.  They are unlikely to have children or pets.

As far as the incredibly rude potential guest, just click on decline if people talk to you that way.  The reason is 'not a good fit.' 

I have had several guests really upset with the Airbnb verification process, but they dealt with it politely.  If you tell them that you 'cannot accept their reservation until the verification with government ID is complete' that might sound better to them than if you say 'you' require or request it.  In other words, let them think that your ACCEPT button is not going to work until that verification comes through. 

Put in your first message to the potential guest your request that they read and understand the house rules and tell you how many people will be in their party, why they are visiting your area and whether or not  they will expect 'whatever' (whatever being something you cannot provide or can only provide sometimes such as wifi, good weather, quiet surroundings, smoke free  or pet dander free environment etc.)