Am I being scammed?

Maddy7
Level 1
Hitchin, United Kingdom

Am I being scammed?

I am moving to Amsterdam in 5 days and have just realised that the gentleman that I was going to rent off has scammed me, I do not want this to happen again!

I looked on craigslist and found an apartment and he has said his contract and payment goes through Air BnB so that both of us are protected. He is asking for my full name, address, length of time staying there and a copy of my passpot. Does this sound like a scam?

Can you use Air BnB as a rental agency without being advertised on there?

Please someone help as i've only got 5 days before I move and no flat currently!

Thank you so much

2 Replies 2
Gerry-And-Rashid0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Maddy7

If the appartment is listed on Airbnb then ask him for the listing number. Search for it, see if there are reviews and then make a decision on that basis. Many hosts ask for proof of ID so that is not unusual. Only ever pay for accommodation using the Airbnb platform- payment will not be released to the host until about 24 hours after you check in. So there is some protection if you arrive and the appartment does not exist for example.

Marit-Anne0
Level 10
Bergen, Norway

@Maddy7

To use airbnb and process payments through airbnb, you have to be listed on the site.  So yes, if he is not listed and asks for payments outside of airbnb, you are most likely being scammed and there is supposedly a lot of that thing in Amsterdam.