App notifications no longer working

Sara83
Level 3
Edinburgh, United Kingdom

App notifications no longer working

I have an iphone X and for the past month or so the app notifications have not been working. First I stopped receiving some notifications but not all. This came to a head when a guest turned up at my door a few weeks ago and I had no idea she had made a booking. Then notifications stopped entirely. Again, I find this out when a guest texted me to say she was on her way to my place at 10pm this evening.
I saw another "conversation" like this but it said it had been resolved - except the resolution was to just use the text notifications (which isn't a resolution). I don't want text or email notifications as I have no control over them. Airbnb also spam my email so much as it is that it is hard to sort the wheat from the chaff. I rely on the app notifications for when a guest messages me or when there is a new booking. Those are the only two forms of notifications I want or need from Airbnb and up until now it is has worked perfectly. 
I am using the current IOS, the Airbnb app is up to date and the notification settings are as they should be. I hope someone can shed some light on why this feature no longer works.

39 Replies 39

Same problem here. Help... 

Gordon0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Hi @Laura_C - is this something you might be able to escalate, please? It's an all-too-common issue many of us (me included) are suffering and it's seemingly being ignored.

We need the right (working) tools in order to communicate in a timely matter. Thanks.  

Gordon0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Update, @Laura_C 

Just called customer services. Said it was a problem with my carrier settings (nothing has changed) and I am probably using the wrong email address (I'm not). Refused to help unless I sent screenshots of my inbox.

Seriously?

Hi Gordon,

Thanks for flagging this issue. Did this begin happening after updating the app or after updating your OS firmware? The more device details we can have, the more able to pinpoint the issue we will be.

Thanks, Laura

--------------------

Lead, Airbnb Core Hosts & Community

Here's my Community Spotlight!

What are your favorite notes from your guests?

Gordon0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Not sure when the emails and SMS messages stopped, @Laura_C, but (see below) the Airbnb team have pretty much washed their hands of the issue. They simply keep alternating between 'we know there's a problem' and 'it's your carrier's fault'.

I'm at a loss as what to do, as I'll get the proverbial rocket from you if I fail to react to a message/booking because you aren't prepared to admit to or fix the issue shared by so many of us. 

Thanks for any help. 

No.  I have done nothing and its just stopped.  I have a Samsung s5 and have had this once before along time ago, but seemed to right itself also for no reason.  

Has this issue been addressed? I'm also having the same issue and it's quite frustrating. My husband has a Samsung phone and still gets notifications, I have an iPhone. Could it be an iPhone app issue?

Mike1273
Level 1
Ayia Napa, Cyprus

same problem!

Gordon0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Two contradictory messages just received from Airbnb. Not sure which one to believe. 

>>"No SMS support" means the SMS providers we use have no way of delivering SMS to their phone, so it's not possible to update it or change this as it's a limitation on our end.
We use a variety of different SMS providers, and constantly re-balance the distribution of which provider we use; some providers are unable to support replies in certain countries.

Due to GDPR and security reasons we need to be contacted by any user that experiences this type of issue.<<

>>I can verify from your account that we’ve sent text message notifications to you, so you may want to reach out to your service provider and confirm that you don't have any blocks or restrictions in place that would prevent you from receiving our text messages.<<

Donna316
Level 4
Tasman, New Zealand

So I am also now having this issue.  Hasn't been working for some weeks!  I don't get a text either, so unless I repeatedly check which I cant always do that I have missed out on a booking as the traveller cancelled.  I didn't even see it till after they had cancelled!! I pride myself on responded very quickly and don't like that this makes me look bad. 

Terry109
Level 2
Santa Cruz, CA

I am also having this problem. Received a confirmed booking but no text notification. I’ll wait to make adjustments to my iPhone 6 reinstall etc until a solution is provided. 

Gordon0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

The many different excuses/reasons I'm getting from Airbnb @Donna316 and @Terry109 are baffling. I used to get text/SMS messages and emails (on my current phone) but now nothing. Any updates, @Laura_C on a fix yet, please? 

Coralee2
Level 2
Harvie Heights, CA

As an owner, I receive push notifications from my host AND from AirBnB support through the Airbnb platform, and through text and email..... but I do not receive ANY push notifications from GUESTS.  I contacted Airbnb support 3 months ago and they are trying to figure it out.  Fortunately, my host receives all push notifications from guests, so she contacts me with any questions.  Airbnb has been very polite in responding to my inquiries regarding this glitch and continues to tell me they are looking into it — doesn’t sound like an easy fix....unfortunately.  On the plus side, I am thankful my host receives messages.  I will continue to manually refresh my Airbnb inbox until this glitch is resolved. 

Good news...I started to receive push notifications from guests. My life just got easier after 3 months of manually refreshing my inbox.  Thank you for resolving this glitch Airbnb!!

Greg-And-Amy1
Level 1
Grand Lake, CA

Does everyone who is having this issue have an iphone? I'm having the same issue but my husband, who has a Samsung/android phone, still gets the notifications.