Bad review doesn't show up after 14 days

Answered!
Funda-Idil0
Level 2
Brussels, Belgium

Bad review doesn't show up after 14 days

Hi AirBnb community!

I wrote a review for our latest stay in LA. It was an honest review explaining all issues we faced with the heating system and broken electricity of the apartment. I sent the review within 14days, and I received an email saying that my host also wrote a review about me and both our reviews are public. 

But I can't find my review back, not in "Reviews by you" not in host's page' not in the apartment page. And I can see the review of my host on my page. 

Is there a possibility that AirBnb doesn't want to publish because it is a negative review????

1 Best Answer
Paul1255
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Hi @Funda-Idil0 I hope you are well.

The host could have had your review taken down if it violated the Airbnb content policy (not that I am saying this is the case of course) I doubt Airbnb would remove it just because it was negative but I could be wrong.

https://www.airbnb.co.uk/help/article/546/what-is-airbnb-s-content-policy?q=reviews

Paul.

View Best Answer in original post

13 Replies 13
Paul1255
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Hi @Funda-Idil0 I hope you are well.

The host could have had your review taken down if it violated the Airbnb content policy (not that I am saying this is the case of course) I doubt Airbnb would remove it just because it was negative but I could be wrong.

https://www.airbnb.co.uk/help/article/546/what-is-airbnb-s-content-policy?q=reviews

Paul.

Hi @Paul1255 Thanks a lot for your response. Now that I read the content policy I realised that I made a mistake by mentioning their refund offer. The host made a partial refund offer verbally when we were there, they said we should submit request through AirBnb website after our stay. We did that, and they declined to pay us back. I wrote exactly what happened. Might that be the reason why it is down?

Do you know if AirBnb will give me another chance to write a review? Because people should know what is waiting for them before they do there 🙂

Best,

Idil

You're welcome @Funda-Idil0 that could well the the reason- I would get in touch with Airbnb to confirm this and understand a little more.

I don't see them giving you another chance to write the review- this is why it is really important to write reviews that don't have a risk of being removed (I know you wouldn't have thought this would be the case when you wrote it)

Best wishes,

Paul.

Karen74
Level 3
Morristown, NJ

It's possible that the host is contesting the reivew and until the investigation is completed it might not show up.  As far as Airbnb not publishing it due to a violation, normally they will inform you of that.  I had reviewed a guest and I wrote that I thought "they were better suited for a more traditional Hotel-motel experience" and was informed by Airbnb that it would not be published.  

@Karen74  Was the reason the better suited to a  hotel part, because as you probably know, a lot of hosts use that phrase?

Hi Mark,

Yes, that was why.  The guest objected, and because it was my opinion, Airbnb informed me of their complaint and they took it down. I researched quite a bit to try to find a way to review them, which is where i found that phrase.

We felt this guest booked with us over a holiday weekend where everthing was booked.  They complained about seeing "a" roach (in Florida) to get out of our contract.  We beleive they were able to find other accomodations for the remainder of their stay.  But, they did have to pay of the nights they stayed, plus cleaning fees.

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Karen74

Really? That was the reason you were given? Are you sure there was nothing else in the review that might have violated the content policy, e.g. mentioning a resolution case for damages, because hosts write "better suited to a hotel" all the time and that is not a violation of the policies as far as I'm aware?

Hi Karen,

Thanks a lot for your reply. I realised I wrote something against their content policy. I told about the refund promise we got verbally, but they never paid us back in reality. 

However this is only my assumption, I never got a message from AirBnb saying that I violated the content policy. No notification at all about my review being taken down. 

Do you know what I can do about this?

has anyone known of a guest being sued for defamation by libel for writing a review that was not only terrible , totally untruthful

You can write what ever you experience wheter it be correct or not. I had a false and negative review wirtten for me and I tried to have it removed based on a couple of false statements that were made. The guest claimed the phone number supplied was wrong and that I only supplied two tea spoons. These were both false, Airbnb confirmed my phone number was correct and the guest failed to look in all drawers to find that there were plenty of tea spoons.

Even though Airbnb agreed that the claim regarding the phone number at least was false, they said that it was still the guests experience and so the review had to remain.
If what you wrote, was what you percieved to be correct, then they should never have removed the review.

Lyn3
Level 10
Mapleton, Australia

Hi @Funda-Idil0 There is another possibility...in my hosting experience (I'm in Australia), whenever I have guests from overseas, and they write a review for me (which have always been really nice reviews), that review does NOT show up as the most recent.  It is posted way, way back at the beginning of my reviews - almost three years ago, more than 100 reviews back.  So an Australian traveller cannot see that recent review written by an overseas traveller, even though it is written in English, for example by guests from the UK and New Zealand...

When I enquired, I was advised that a traveller from, say, Belgium, when looking at my listing, will see FIRST the reviews posted by my previous guests from Belgium. A UK traveller looking at my listing will see FIRST the reviews posted by my previous UK guests. And so on...

Could this be what has happened to your review of your host when you travelled to the US ?

kind regards,

Lyn 🙂

Hi @Lyn3  Thanks a lot for your answer, I immediately checked both the listing page and hosts page, unfortunately my review is nowhere in the reviews. 

Also still no notification from AirBnb that my review is deleted for some reason. So still waiting. 🙂

Sammy35
Level 10
Pittsburgh, PA

BEWARE ITS NOT ACTUALLY 14 CALENDAR DAYS.  at any point ON the 14th day the review period can and will shut down and be gone forever to never be reopened (even though there was user support ability and functionality for that back in the past). 

i don't normally wait that long, though i understand how other people need more time, but the one time i did, on purpose, it disabled review ability at some point BEFORE THE END of the 14th day.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE RECOGNIZE THAT ITS REALLY ONLY 13 DAYS CAUSE AT ANY MINUTE, SECOND, HOUR THAT REVIEW IS GOING TO CLOSE BEFORE THE END OF THE 14TH CALENDAR DAY.  i thought maybe it was at the exact time noted in the checkout.  i was told it could have been anywhere from 8am to 12pm and then i was told, by the EXACT same person, that it might even go on UTC time in which case i would have been Fd no matter what.

i could not get a straight answer from "support" who acts like they want to help but when push comes to shove, they have such limited ability to receify a sitation, which makes all the customer service orientation garble even more condescending.

when i pointed out the help page article no one could explain why it is documented in a way that makes you THINK you have till the end of the checkout calendar day.  YOU DO NOT

no one could tell me when it shut down.  i guess its just some magical nebulous act of  "god"

when i asked for them to query the development team, technical specs functional specs, and get back to me as to when the business rules has that shut down, i was deferred and sidetracked.  the answer is no:  we don't know and we're not going to find out.  we're perfectly happy with the way the help page content is worded.

i do IT/systems specs debugging test scripts UAT roll outs training content user aids and documentation for a living.  what happend today and in the call??...its just wrong.

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/13/how-do-reviews-work?q=reviews

~~~~~~~
like nikey: just do it