Bedspread/blanket for summer weather?

Dean-And-Stacey0
Level 4
Asheville, NC

Bedspread/blanket for summer weather?

I've seen this asked before, but haven't seen an answer to it.

We are switching our bedding over from winter duvets to a summer bedspread.

I'm trying to find the perfect balance between something that washes well, looks nice, and is economical.  I'd prefer it to be 100% cotton as well (but maybe that's asking too much?).  The ones that I've been looking at seem to not hold up after many washings.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

23 Replies 23
Susan151
Level 10
Somerville, MA

@Dean-And-Stacey0 I swap out a winter duvet for a lightweight summer duvet and use the same duvet cover year round. No complaints yet!

If you are set on the bedspread thing, I have these on my guest room bed and have been quite happy with their longevity:

https://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/80191755/

I hadn't checked Ikea yet, so that was a good suggestion.  I see something I like there!  Thank you.

@Dean-And-Stacey0 

We have a thick winter duvet w/ zipped cover, spring and fall is a thin quilted cotton blend blanket, and summer is just a sheet. 

The covers and sheets we use are all a cotton blend and seem to hold up well. We line dry everything and have found a way to fold them up so creases are less noticeable. 

Great suggestions.  Thank you.

Chris-and-Amanda0
Level 2
Providence, RI

We have these lightweight quilts (https://www.jcpenney.com/p/jcpenney-home-emma-quilt/ppr5007678241?pTmplType=regular&catId=cat1003300...) on the beds and a medium-weight duvet folded at the end. So far the quilts have held up well. 

I like those.  Are they easy to dry?  They seem a little bulky for our dryer?

Sandra856
Level 10
Copenhagen, Denmark

Hi @Dean-And-Stacey0 🙂

I also switch between winter and summer duvets. I got a summer Lyocell double duvet from IKEA. It's nice and it is easy to wash and dry. I use duvet covers for both winter and summer duvets 🙂

I've been debating doing a lighterweight summer duvet, but was wanting to take a break from having to put on and take off the duvet covers.  This is definitely an option though!  Thank you for your input.

@Dean-And-Stacey0 In Denmark we only use duvets and always with a duvet cover on. So I have never tried any other (maybe easier 🙂 ) solutions mentioned in this thread.

I got a lyocell duvet myself and it is great if it is a little chilli and not to warm if it is hot. Also it is dry within an hour after being washed when hanging on a line outside. 

Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

I have a Laura Ashley quilt set that has held up for so far 2 years, and one from Target about the same amount of time.

Do they take a long time to dry?  I like those ideas, but am afraid of buying something that will be labor intensive for drying.

Yulianna0
Level 10
Madrid, Spain

@Dean-And-Stacey0, when you are making this change? With certain temperatures outside/inside? I’m using microfiber blanket, but very short time, in summer even normal bed sheets are more than necessary:) For the time being (27/10 outside) my guests are still with winter duvet.

We will be making the change in the next few weeks, probably right around the end of May.  I'm afraid of just using a sheet and having guests complain?  I haven't really seen that done around here?   I have thought about using double sheets though.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Dean-And-Stacey0  Some people sleep "hot" and some cold. I'd always have a lightweight blanket on the bed in addition to the topsheet. If they don't need it, they'll just not use it, it's preferable to having someone complain (and there are guests who won't even ask for an extra blanket, but mention in the review that they were cold and there weren't any blankets).

I have a 100% cotton blanket, sort of has a weave to it. Don't remember where I got it, but it wasn't expensive, and has lasted several years.