Blah guests

Patricia2609
Level 1
Colorado Springs, CO

Blah guests

These two subjects have been posted about but I’m curious as to what people find is better. I just had my second UGH guest. The first didn’t leave on time, left the house a disaster and I had to pay my cleaning crew twice due to time spent there. We asked for the additional cleaning fee for that one which was an unpleasant experience. This one stayed over Christmas. Booked as 1 guest. We have three beds. All slept in as well as the couches (two) and the futon. I asked about guests she stated her and her son, not included in the first one. The house is a mess. Nothing horrible or broken but messy and will be another long clean. Then I noticed ashes in the window and a cigarette butt outside in the window well (in dried leaves). 

so what’s been more worthwhile in your experience? Changing the reservation and getting the added money for guests and cleaning and risk a negative review OR leaving a negative review for other hosts to see? Or both? I’m conflicted. The extra fee would only be about $200 but I want others to be wary when allowing them to stay, any input is great! 

2 Replies 2
Lisa723
Level 10
Quilcene, WA

@Patricia2609 please always leave a factual review. The guest can't see your review before their own is final.

Re. asking for compensation, that's something you just have to evaluate on a case by case basis. Different hosts have different philosophies about this. Personally, I have asked for compensation only when something is damaged, the cost is significant, and it's clearly not just an accident. I hear that getting Airbnb enforcement on compensation for extra cleaning is difficult, but I have not tried it so I don't have direct experience. (I have accompanied a party damage claim with a description of the extra cleaning required and a note that I'll waive charging for that if they promptly pay for the damage.)

On extra people, it is easy and common for a guest to accidentally book for one. When you get a booking for one person, it's a good idea to clarify right away and alter the reservation if that's wrong.

John1080
Level 10
Westcliffe, CO

@Patricia2609, I see you don't have too many reviews yet, so I would probably let the extra amount slide this time, because unfortunately if you ask for money before they leave their review, you risk getting a retaliatory negative review - it isn't fair, but that's just the way it is since Airbnb puts us in a difficult position in this regard. 

I would book some verbiage in your pre-approval (or post-booking for IB) message asking stating: "Thank you for your request (or booking). I have you down for X people for X nights. Please confirm this is correct, since I need an exact count on the guests per Airbnb policy, so we will know how many beds to prepare for you and per insurance regulations." 

This, in addition to setting your rules clearly and expressing them in that message as well as again before they check-in is what I do, and I have never had any issues with extra guests or smoking at my place.