Booking from another host in the area

Terence-And-Marlene0
Level 3
St. Catharines, Canada

Booking from another host in the area

Just receive a instant booking and noticed the guy is actually a host himself and lives in the area.  He has a bunch of good reviews.  but how do I see his actual listing?  Not sure what to make of this and if I should ask him.  His request say he and his daugher is passing though the area which is obviously not true.  Any advice? We are relatively new to Airbnb and has been doing very well with exceptional reviews... is he just trying to get some ideas on what he can do different.  Creaps me out a bit. 

3 Replies 3
Gerry-And-Rashid0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Well - they may just have a property in the area but not actually live there - and as you say he has good reviews. Or there could be a million and one reasons why whey need some place local to stay for a few nights (family argument!)  I very much doubt he is spending money travellling to a range of AirBnB properties to see if he can do better. Doesn't make sense. 

It's the risk you take with Instant Booking - no chance to ask any of the questions  you might want to in this instance.

(Sorry, not sure how you actually see his place)

I don't know, it would definitely creep me out if a host nearby made up a story that they were "passing through" and booked my place, not revealing that they are hosts in the local area.  Is there any way that this person could possibly put this information on record - so that if this "guest passing through" leaves a damaging review or other problems, you could be backed up somehow?  How would you go about putting this on record?  One way might be to contact the guest through the Airbnb message system and say that in reviewing their profile in order to serve them better, you noticed that they are hosts in the local area, but in their communications, they indicated that they were not local.  Ask for an explanation. With each response, clearly and directly address through the message system any issue that does not seem normal to you, staying neutral, cool-headed and directly adressing any inconsistencies.  The truth should eventually unfold.  

Terence-And-Marlene0
Level 3
St. Catharines, Canada

Updaate:  the guy cancled the reservation!  . notexplination or anything but have to admit i am not sorry about this one.