Calendar: make a day unavailable specifically for check-in

Philip90
Level 2
London, United Kingdom

Calendar: make a day unavailable specifically for check-in

Hi, I sometimes have a day when it is not convenient for me to accept a check-in, but it is OK for a guest's visit to contain that day (if their visit started on an earlier day).

I have instant booking turned on, for visitors' conveninece.

At the moment I am making the day unavailable, but that means I am blocking visits that would be OK.

Example - consider a sequence of five consecutive days. Suppose that I can't accept a check-in on day 3, but can accommodate visits that include any of those days including day 3. It's just that I don't want a check-in to occur on day 3.

To prevent a guest from checking in on day 3, I have marked day 3 as unavailable in my calendar.

This has the unwanted side-effect that some perfectly ok visits are now prevented (because they *include* day 3), e.g. day 2 to 3, day 2 to day day 4, day 1 to day 5 etc. 

I don't want to block those visits, but if I make day 3 available then a visitor might book a visit in which they check in on day 3 - which I can't accommodate. And if a cancel the booking, I lose my superhost status and potentially suffer penalties.

I noticed that there is a facility for custom rules, and one can set (for a particular calendar month or range of days) a minimum length of visit and, optionally, that they can check-in on a specific weekday. Using that facility, I was considering making a custom rule for the individual day concerned (day 3 in my example above) and restricting check-in to some day of the week that is different from the actual day of the week of the date concerned.

E.g., returning to the above example, suppose I can't have a check-in on day 3 but it's ok for someone's visit to include day 3. I notice that day 3 happens to be a Thursday. So I set a custom rule saying that on that particular day, check-in can only take place on (for example) Sunday.

Is this a good solution? Will it work the way I intend? Will it confuse guests? Is there a better solution?

1 Reply 1
Patrick1805
Level 1
Munising, MI

Same problem, customer service was of no help. I followed a feedback link to suggest that as a feature. I'm surprised they don't already have it in there.