Can I kick someone out for breaking the house rules?

Answered!
Candace12
Level 2
Winnipeg, Canada

Can I kick someone out for breaking the house rules?

Hi there,

I'm starting a new airbnb and there is a lot of security in my building.

Question - If my guests are rowdy I will hear about it from the neighbours and the board. I would like to clarify the airbnb rules - if people are breaking the house rules by causing noise etc. and I get a call from someone, do I have the right to evict them?

I would like to post something like  "any non adherence to the rules will result in immediate eviction"

Too harsh? Or something like - "any complaints from tenants regarding noise or not abiding by rules of the condo (there is a pool) will result in immediate eviction"

Thanks for your help!

1 Best Answer

Yes, you can ask people to leave for breaking the house rules.  You need to contact Airbnb FIRST and make sure they are aware of what is about to transpire.  Read lots of other hosts rules to see how they try and combat noise and loud behavior.  

You need to make it crystal clear in your house rules that there are: 

1. Quiet Hours.  Define when the are: 10pm to 8am or whatever
  2. Define what "quiet" means to you... like a library?  like a coffee shop?  like everyone is sleeping?  
  3. reiterate that there are no parties, including loud, rowdy interactions with the guests staying in the flat (like a family having a rip roaring round of charades or an impromptu dance party)  
  4. note that any complaints from neighbors for loud behavior during quiet hours will result in being asked to vacate the flat immediately.  
  5. Beef up your rules regarding extra guests in the flat at any time, not just overnight

View Best Answer in original post

24 Replies 24
Gerry-And-Rashid0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Candace12 

There are rules and then there are rules.

AirBnB will not support you if you kick someone out because you had a rule that says 'no shoes in the house please' and they someone happens you wear shoes and you kick them out.

However, rules relating to parties, noise, smoking, etc can be more strictly enforced.  Just think about how you wish to frame them: eg For the comfort of all residents in our building, no noise audible outside the appartement after xx hrs and before xx hrs. No parties. No additional guests or visitors on the premises other than those who have booked. No smoking anywhere in the building. Breaking these rules will mean you will be asked to leave immediately.

That's fair enough - and should also help dissuade those who might be tempted to book your place for a party...

Yes, you can ask people to leave for breaking the house rules.  You need to contact Airbnb FIRST and make sure they are aware of what is about to transpire.  Read lots of other hosts rules to see how they try and combat noise and loud behavior.  

You need to make it crystal clear in your house rules that there are: 

1. Quiet Hours.  Define when the are: 10pm to 8am or whatever
  2. Define what "quiet" means to you... like a library?  like a coffee shop?  like everyone is sleeping?  
  3. reiterate that there are no parties, including loud, rowdy interactions with the guests staying in the flat (like a family having a rip roaring round of charades or an impromptu dance party)  
  4. note that any complaints from neighbors for loud behavior during quiet hours will result in being asked to vacate the flat immediately.  
  5. Beef up your rules regarding extra guests in the flat at any time, not just overnight

Thank you for the response! I hope this doesn't happen, I've been lucky up until now, but if it did, how would I notify air bnb?

You would give them a call.  You can easily Google for Airbnb's contact number.

I contacted Airbnb and got nowhere. I am cancelling out of Airbnb when this guest leaves because I feel my hands are tied with using this site and they will not help. I sent a couple of emails asking for help and I called and still got nowhere. All they said was that they are working on it. Even when I told them it was affecting  my health. They are useless as far as I'm concerned. 

I have a female, aged 33 who has broken every rule in the book. She refuses to respect my rules, my culture, my property and is quite rude and obnoxious.

She flooded both my bathrooms because she didn't know what to do when the water rose in the bowl. Instead of calling me she decided to try and 'fix' it herself. I have no idea on how she maganged to get it to overflow. I've never had it an overflow before. I was in the house at the time watching TV not 5 feet away. By the time she called out to me the floor was flooded, she had tried to soak up the water with a bunch of my clean tea towels which were in the linen closet. Why tea towels insteaf of towels or using the container of clean rags I have no idea. The water was so much that she also flooded my ceiling in the washroom below along with the floor. It took 3 days to dry it up with a heater which was a costly affair considering the cost of electricity. Then a couple days later put a load of wet dripping clothes in the dryer complaining to me when I got home that my dryer wasn't working. I tried everthing to see what was wrong with my dryer. I didn't know that she put wet dripping clothes in the dryer.  I only found out the following week when I happened to go in the laundry room while she was doing laundry. This is when she complained that there was something wrong with the washer this time. I checked and sure enough the clohes was dripping wet. So I told her I'd have to have it checked out and for now  I would just run it through a sping cycle  to drain the water out of the clothes. That's when she reached into the dryer and pulled out about three arms full of dripping clothes. I couldn't believe it!  So that's what had happened the previous week. She must have put in the wrong setting and when I asked her she swore that she only did what I showed her and blamed me for the mess. Now I know where the water I found coming out from underneath my dryer came from. I was furious!

I could go on to describe the other things but I'll just mention them. She burnt a pizza in toaster oven, which had to be scoured to the poing the finish is longer there and it looks like crap. I also had to scrub the backsplash tiles to get rid of the yellow stain it left. She also put a small 1 1/2 litre pot on a 10 inch burner  turn on high setting, with pasta and a bit of water and went to her room. Luckily I was home and managed to walk in the kitchen to find the pot already starting to smoke. Instead of replacing the pot she scrapped off the burnt stuff and put it away and the next day bought herself a brand new pot. 

There are a number of other issues but I'm tired. If I could get rid of her without loosing out on the income I would. She is a dangerous person to have in my home. 

@Merilda1 that sounds like an extremely unpleasant person to have in your home!

My understanding is your chances with Airbnb support will depend a lot on how you present your case to them. If a host concentrates on a long list of unpleasant and somewhat idiotic behavior on the part of the guest, the support rep might feel this: Yes, this is a very unpleasant person to host, but they aren't really breaking any of the rules for the listing.

To help the representative support your request to relocate the tenant, figure out which of your listing rules she has broken and just focus on those.

You have said the guest is someone "who has broken every rule in the book" so it should be easy to find a rule she has broken, yes?

Your listing rules are:

No smoking
Not suitable for pets
No parties or events
Check-in time is 10AM - 10PM
Check out by 12PM (noon)
- 11pm noise curfew

- Outdoor foot ware in the entrance closet

If you are finding it difficult to choose a rule that the guest has broken, it might indicate you should add some extra rules. It is clear her behavior is unacceptable, but you can see how the Airbnb support person might be reluctant to remove the guest if she hasn't broken any explicit rule.
(Apparently "Don't be an idiotic, pot-burning, floor-flooding, pizza-burning dunderhead" isn't already in the Airbnb terms of service.)
You need to help the support person feel that removing the guest is legally defensible. Help them find easily explained and clear grounds to back you up. As idiotic as the guest's behavior is, much of what you have told us is not clearly breaking any rule you have for your listing.

You might have some luck if you concentrate on actual physical damage to your property.
I hope you find an Airbnb support person sympathetic to your plight!

I don't think its fair to blame her for the toilet overflowing. At all.

I'm at an Airbnb right now and the host just told me to be quiet ( I was on the phone with my sister who is 3 hours earlier and refilling my wine glass) , moments later my extended reservation with him was cancelled. Its fine, this is my 2nd Airbnb, but come n dude. stop renting a room then. this was me on the phone and I quieted down immediately after he reprimanded me. Hosts: either be reasonable or dont host, I'm definitely leaving feedback for this guy. Akward stay:blah blah bah

Can anyone recommendrecommend how toto actually get someone out of my house. Anyone had cooperation from the police. This guest has lied about EVERYTHING. How many people, check in time. The rain, extraextra people in a hotel, nope they are children. Not responding... 

@Star20  There is actually no way to kick the guests who violated the house rules out. You could ask Airbnb terminating the guests stay. But if the guests refuse to leave, you could not get them out. I tried police once, police did come. They could only persuade the guests to leave and they did not want to take guests out by force. They told me that they would not use force unless the guests actually break the law.

woo hoo

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Corrie32 

This is an old thread, and your last review was from 2019, so I assume you are no longer using Airbnb anymore and therefore probably never going to read this, but WOW. 

Your responses here already show that you are not only extremely entitled but quite unhinged and, supposing you yourself did not decide to try to book more airbnbs, I can see why no more hosts would want you in their properties.

You have five reviews, one of which is fine. The other four read:

Corrie was respectful and quiet during her 4 nights stay. However, she smoked weed inside the house. She left the room in decent condition except for the weed smell.

Well...let’s see. The two pool/beach towels were taken, and all the hangers in the closet are also missing. Two of the bath towels have huge stains that look like bleach? They had to be thrown away. There were also lots of small stains on the sheets. The place reeked if marijuana & there were bits of it around the guest house. I wouldn’t really mind it, but maybe open the windows to let it air out & tidy up afterwards? There were a bunch of toe nail clippings littered along the bedside and, somehow, under the bed. I find that pretty disrespectful. All that said, she did communicate decently, was quiet, and did make a half-hearted attempt to clean up a bit before leaving - but that does not in any way make up for the above issues.

- She is a young lady who stayed for a couple of nights. I had read another review and saw that she was noisy at another place. I approved her booking but asked about that incident and she promised she was going to be quiet. She was quiet and respectful. However, the problem I had was the cleaning crew found the suite fairly clean but with a terrible small of marihuana. It took them a long time and effort to take the horrible smell away. Needless, to say I had another guest coming right after her. Fortunately, they took the odor away and cleaned all the leftovers of it in the carpet. I would have appreciate that when you said you read the rules you have read that I have a cero tolerance rule to drugs.

- Corrie is a local person who booked my place for 2 nights , in the first night at 12.30 am was difficult to sleep for the noises she was making on the kitchen and talking on the phone, i have me to called Airbnb and cancel another reservation she already made for 2 more nights, after that evening was normal

So, it seems that it is not just the host you posted about, but the majority of your hosts, who found you to be a pretty problematic guest. If you do not have the self awareness to figure this out, well, then there is probably no hope for you. You will encounter similar problems for the rest of your life. Or, you could just WAKE UP.

nope youre too nosy it seems like

I just remove all their items when they leave the house and let them know where there stuff on the curb. Change the locks if you must.. imo they have no tenant rights.