Cancel Dominican Republic

Kamesha0
Level 1
New York, United States

Cancel Dominican Republic

What was supposed to be a fun trip to the Dominican Republic is now a nightmare after all the deaths in the news. We were a group of 9 and are down to 4 because of people being scared to travel there now. We just want a refund for the down payment minus the service fees so we can book a different place. The reservation is a whole month away so I don’t see how nobody could have compassion with the fact that this issue is out of our control and its disappointing.   Airbnb doesn’t seem to care and neither does the host. He said he hasn't had an issue with other nationalities wanting to cancel just Americans, which seems a bit offensive. We’re not wanting a refund for no reason it is strictly based on  all the mysterious deaths there and nobody seems to care. This seems to be a horrible experience from both customer service and the host. Any thoughts are appreciated? 

9 Replies 9

@Kamesha0:
I can understand your hesitancy about visiting the Dominican Republic after the blown out of proportion media coverage. However, the deaths did not occur in an Airbnb home. It is my understanding that they are limited to a resort. Thousands of people visit the DR daily and return home without any incidents so I can understand the host's position on not allowing a cancellation. Having traveled throughout the Caribbean I have found that region to be exceptionally wonderful. I have enjoyed every single trip taken there. Go have a great time! Everyone knows you can't believe the United States media anyway.

Great advice @Tim-and-Holly0 but I thought I would mention it's against the rules of this forum to promote our listings or businesses on this forum by including details of websites/contact details, such as the one you include in your signature.

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

I am sorry your group feels uneasy about travelling to the Dominican Republic after reading some media stories about a small number of tourists that have sadly died on holiday @Kamesha0 . It is a sad fact that people die everywhere...including on holiday. To put it in context that is 11 people out of the 2.2 million people from the US that travel there every year.

Quite honestly the media stories seems a bit of a storm in a tea-cup. I have to say I am surprised these media stories about a few as yet ,unexplained deaths in a tourist hotel on the island you are travelling to, would want to make some of your group want to cancel. Your own government isn't issuing any travel warnings to the area.

Absolutely you can cancel, but why should the host be out of pocket because you have changed your mind about visiting his country ?

Why is it offensive to you that the host gave you factual information that only Americans want to cancel because of a US media story about tourists from your country who sadly died while on holiday?

Quite honestly if I read those media stories it would never occur to me to cancel my holiday.

Have a pep talk with your friends and go and enjoy yourselves.

Gordon0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Kamesha0 

If it's considered a danger to travel there your government will advise against it. Spoiler alert: They're not.

This isn't the host's fault.  

Michael3332
Level 1
Beverly, NJ

To the people being condensending, please get a hobby. You don't agree with her, that's fine, but to act like she's somehow crazy for being hesitant due to dangers our news outlets are reporting is pretentious and unhelpful to anyone. Providing facts is fine, offering reassurances is fine, but some of you really need a class on how to speak without sounding like you're talking down to someone with a differing opinion. Do better 😕 spoiler alert, you're an adult, act like it.... 🙂 

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Sadly the only person being condensing here is yourself @Michael3332  calling us 'pretentious and unhelpful'. Perhaps you should take your own advice?

I can see this is your first post, and in it you decided to lecture long time and experienced Hosts on how to behave and comment, I'm not entirely sure your not a friend of Kamesha?

You've drawn you own inferences on what commentators have said, which reflects you own prejudices and bias, so if you can't handle the heat get out of the fire, but don't expect other people to pick up the tab for the aforementioned.

Correct if I'm wrong but I thought that America had the highest rate of gun crime and murder in the world by a long margin.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/how-u-s-gun-deaths-compare-to-other-countries/

Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

@Kamesha0  While I don't blame anyone for wanting to cancel a trip to the DR, the reason of 'mysterious deaths' is probably not going to hit the threshold for airbnb to give you a free cancellation, and since your host as you said, is not willing to give you a refund, you are going to have to either try to find new people, convince the original group to take the trip [you are probably much safer buying your own stuff at an airbnb anyway], or take the $$ hit.  

To give  you the host perspective, he/she doesn't consider your reasons for wanting to cancel as a legitimate emergency and at this point, probably would not be able to rebook, so he/she too would be out a significant $$ if giving you a refund.

Somtimes there are no right answers. 

Cormac0
Level 10
Kraków, Poland

@Kamesha0 

So basically you want the hosts to pick up the tab in the form of lost earnings, because of your fears and insecurities, that's very kind of you, unfortunately  the host has to stay put.