Cancel/rebook/arrive only for second day, Airbnb less then helpful.

Gleb11
Level 2
Shawnigan Lake, CA

Cancel/rebook/arrive only for second day, Airbnb less then helpful.

So I have an odd story to share: 
I had a booking for 30 Dec to 1 Jan, prime time right? Guest books the place for two nights 7 days before the date. Then 2 days later cancels due to personal reasons (I would have received part of the booking as per cancellation policy), then a day later wants back in. I tell them to call Airbnb as I have no option to re-book them using the fees they already paid, guest calls Airbnb, the agent calls me, says that they will block my calendar with the canceled booking but I will have to request the difference upon guest checking out. Easy enough. The guest does not come for day one, sends sister for day two (sister is a twin so I wouldn’t even know the difference). Here comes 1 Jan, I try to request the difference but the link Airbnb provided goes nowhere. Call Airbnb and after long conversation with multiple people here is the result: all Airbnb sees is that the booking was canceled, so as far as they are concerned I just let the people in on my own and they are not reimbursing me for the remainder of the booking as the guest said that only used the place for one night.  WTF?  My place was blocked for two nights right? I see the guests side: “I only came there for the night”; I see the Airbnb side: “we see it was canceled so guest owns you nothing”. Moral of the story: Airbnb will not back you up unless you have it in writing, and even thought I had a phone call from the Airbnb agent and a message from them on the subject of requesting funds, unless it’s an active booking in your calendar you are on your own. It’s an odd one but lesson learned. Very disappointed with how Airbnb does not stand by their words. 

1 Reply 1
Jean4922
Level 1
Melbourne, AU

I had a similar experience in that a guest booked 2 nights accommodation in my house, cancelled the booking and then at 10.15pm messaged me that he would arrive at 11.30pm because he had changed his mind. The room had not been prepared so I rang Airbnb to ask how to cancel the booking and was told I had no option but to provide accommodation or pay for a hotel room for Michael the cost of which they said they would deduct from my account. He arrived at midnight, stayed 2 nights and left an inaccurate and negative review including details about where I live which Airbnb said did not breach any of their rules and have left visible. I've been a host for eight years and this was the first time I requested help.