Cancellation after checking in

Cancellation after checking in

Hello all. I would like some help on the following matter. I had a reservation for 12 nights since last October. The guests arrived as usual but 2 days later they informed me that they had to leave due to a health issue. More specifically they were advised to return to their country to have some tests, after visiting the local hospital. My calendar remained closed for the remaining days until today, 3rd of July. They had checked in on the 27th of June. After Airbnb suppord desk contacting me, I was announced that I should refund the guests for ALL the 10 days that they didn't use. Also, to be compensated I would get 100 euros only. So I would be paid for two days that the guests stayed, plus 100 euros compensation. 100 euros for 5 days that the dates were unavailable plus the difficulty of getting any last minute bookings. Any ideas of how I can handle the situation? Thank you.

11 Replies 11
Gerry-And-Rashid0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Anastasios12 I assume the extenuating circumstances policy came into play? If so there is little you can do other than hope that by hassling AirBnB you will get a higher payout - I wouldn't bet on it....nothing you can do unless you have insurance for loss of earnings and can claim on that

What really surprised me is the one sided kind of decision. Airbnb did not try to find a more balanced solution to the matter, they completely satisfied the guest, while not really caring for the host.

Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

@Anastasios12   What would you have thought to be a better settlement?  I never heard of Air BNB offering any compensation for the host when there is an extenuating circumstance cancellation.  

@Linda108Not only they do not offer any compensation in an extenuating circumstance cancellation, they also suggest sometimes force a host to refund any remaining balance in other cases when a guest was requesting to cancel.

@Anastasios12I have just one question about your calendar being blocked for extended days. If the cancellation was made right after second day, your calendar should have been cleared by then.

The cancellation was made just today, 5 days after the check out. I am forced to refund for the days that the guests had left and Airbnb didn't open so at least I could have a last minute booking.

As I mentioned before, the guests checked out on June 29th but the calendar remained closed until today so, in my opinion a fair settlement would be that I would get the amount that corresponds to the days that were closed, or even a 50-50 settlement between the guest and the host.

@Anastasios12  You should have contacted Airbnb to unblock your calendar right after the cancellation was made on June 29. If there is no glitch, your calendar should have been cleared unless the cancellation was made by the host.

The cancellation was made today. The guests left on June 29th. I received the payment as usual, so there was no reason to ask for the days to be re opened. I was not in position to know what the guest would do, and more importantly what Airbnb would decide.

@Anastasios12  If the guest did not request a cancellation until today, Airbnb should have paid you till today. If the guest requested cancellation on June 29, Airbnb did not process it till today, you still can request for payment till today.

Well, I hope the help desk answers about that. 

Well, after contacting Airbnb help desk, I was informed that the guest requested the cancellation on July the 2nd and the decision was made yesterday, July 3rd. So, the guests checked in on June 27th, left on June 29th and the cancellation was done on July the 3rd after the guests request. Still I only got paid for the 2 days that they stayed.