Cancellation and refunds

George338
Level 1
Athens, Greece

Cancellation and refunds

Hi, unfortunately me and my friends made a mistake as it was our first time using Airbnb. We booked a room but it was in the wrong location and we noticed that a bit after booking it. We canceled it 1 hour later, and we got notified we should be getting a refund in the next 10 days. Can someone explain how that works? We have already requested a book from a new host, will the money used for the first booking be transfered to the next one, if the host accepts? Or the system will make two separate payments?

Also, is the full amount refunded, or we are losing the services fees (which should be 60 euro) ? The application says the full amount will be refunded, but I'm a little bit worried. Thanks

10 Replies 10

@George338 hopefully the application should have shown you exactly what would happen with the money. The system that generates the explanation of how much you will get refunded is the same system that issues the refunds, so they should match up. If the detail said you should your fees also will be refunded, it makes sense to believe it.

As to the booking with the new host and whether any money gets "moved" to that: I think it depends on how things happened with the cancellation and how the new booking was made. You might want to contact Airbnb customer service to see how they plan to handle that.

George338
Level 1
Athens, Greece

Thanks, I will do that.

Yong-Wei-Loong0
Level 2
Sabah, Malaysia

Hi there, i would like to check about my refund because according to info given, it will take 5 business day. My cancellation done on April 1, but my bank statement haven't show the refund amount yet. What is the next step i have to go? Please advice, thank youairbnb.JPGCapture1.JPG

Hélène39
Level 2
Totnes, GB

Hello, I would like to check the status of my refund too.  I had to cancel my 'homestay in Lausanne' booking yesterday at the end of June, as my very elderly 105 year old father has taken a turn for the worse and is in a dying phase now.  So I need to go next week instead to visit him.  I see that I am not getting a full refund, but I believe my circumstances would be classed as 'extenuating', and therefore I should be entitled to a full refund.  This morning there was an email from Airbnb saying I had £74 credit to spend on other accomodation.  I don't understand this.  Does that mean Airbnb is holding back some of the money that I thought I was getting refunded?  Thank-you for your help.

@Hélène39 You will need to call AirBnB and provide documentation of your circumstances to get a full refund.

Thanks Letitia - I guess I'll have to wait until my father dies (which I am sure will be before my originally planned visit) and get a letter from the nursing home as proof.  Do Airbnb in those circumstances waive their service fee?

@Hélène39 Yes they do. Call AirBnB now so it's on the record. They may waive it all since your booking another trip earlier. Is the place you were planning on renting available next week? Maybe you can just get a date change.

Thanks Letitia,

I will phone them.  Unfortunately the accomodation is booked up for next Friday onwards which is when I would like to reschedule my trip too.  However there is another Airbnb listing that is available then.  Thanks for your help.

How do you call Airbnb?  I have looked all over their website, but I cannot seem to find a contact number.

TIA,

Mandy

Letti0
Level 10
Atascosa, TX

@Mandy134  

AirBnB number:

United States and Canada

+1-415-800-5959
+1-855-424-7262 (toll-free)