Cancellation due to guests expected check-in time incompatible with host's check-in window

Anders20
Level 1
Stockholm, Sweden

Cancellation due to guests expected check-in time incompatible with host's check-in window

I had an instant book reservation from a guest who announced her landing at 21.55. My check-in window is 17.00-22.00. Landing that late would mean arrival at address at around midnight.

I cancelled the reservation believing that you have the right to do so when the reservation is contrary to your house rules or when you find the booking uncomfortanle.

When doing so, I informed both the guest an Airbnb about the reason for my cancellation.

Nonetheless, Airbnb locked the days in question, six days during the "hottest" period of the year. 

It says in the information about Instant Book that the host can cancel without penalty if he or she is not confortable with the reservation.

Do you know how to unlock the locked days or how to interprete these rules about penalty-free cancellation?

6 Replies 6
Marzena4
Level 10
Kraków, Poland

Hello @Anders20. Generally, it's better to first ask Airbnb for assistance in the case of such problems. Do it now, contact Airbnb Customer Service - use Twitter @AirbnbHelp or the form: https://www.airbnb.com/help/contact_us#/. Or you will find a pinned post in the Help section how to do it: https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Help/Contact-Airbnb-A-Community-Help-Guide/m-p/16165#M728

// "The only person you can trust is yourself"

@Anders20

How did you inform AirBnB?

What did they say?

David

When cancelling, there was a form to inform not only the guest but Airbnb as well about the reason of my cancellation. No reaction. Only one day later after having alerted Airbnb again, they lifted all penalties. I'm happy with that, but I'm not happy with the traps you risk to encounter with Instant Book.

Best to call them, even that is not guaranteed but more likely to get things sorted.

David

Thank you, Marzena! They inhibited all penalties.

As much as they can, the system is automated.  Without contacting them first, the basic system defaults kicked in @Anders20.  As others have warned, always, always, always contact Airbnb prior to any reservation cancellation