Cancellation lost in the ether

Koen23
Level 2
England, United Kingdom

Cancellation lost in the ether

Hello hello

The following happened to me: I had to cancel a reservation for an overnight stay on December 5th, which I did on December 3rd. I was shown the amount of the refund (the total minus a fee of 6.85 euros), a text entry form to send a message to the host (which I did), and eventually - pretty sure after confirming the cancellation - a notice that I would receive the refund within about 10 working days.

It turns out the cancellation never happened: on the morning of December 6th I saw the host had emailed me late the evening before asking whether I knew when I would be arriving. I looked up my account for the confirmation of the cancellation and couldn't find it.

Of course I didn't take a screenshot at the time, all I have is my browser logs showing that I did indeed access that specific booking.

Is it possible, given the description above, that I did not actually complete the cancellation? Would the system show me the notice that I can expect the refund in 10 working days before I have actually confirmed the cancellation?

I am not too bothered by the money, but I would like to know whether this was a glitch in the system, or whether I genuinely failed to actually complete the cancellation.

Thanks!

Koen

1 Reply 1
Cor3
Level 10
Langerak, South Holland, Netherlands

Hi @Koen23,

It could have very well been a system glitch.

As it happened to me too, where I had send a message to a guest. And later on, this message was nowhere to be found anymore?

My only advise would be: When you do something on Airbnb. Always double check, if it is confirmed in a dashboard or overview.

In the past I had similar issues, when I was making changes to my rates, while using the App.

Some changes, just didn't come through.