Winter Release Q&A with Airbnb’s Christy Schrader

Winter Release Q&A session

Cancellation

Answered!
Katharine10
Level 2
Churchill, United Kingdom

Cancellation

I received an instant booking from a guest.  Despite the fact that my listing clearly states that it is not suitable for young children (it's an open plan cottage with mezzanine floor) they booked.  I thanked the for their booking and asked them to confirm that their toddler was not too mobile as it was not suitable for young children.  They realised their mistake and said they wanted to cancel but when they tried to cancel my cancellation policy only offered them 50% refund.  So, they asked if I would cancel it from my end.  I did so but now have it blocked by Airbnb calendar and am penalised as a result of trying to help these young guests.  How can I contact Airbnb to get their booking removed so I can take another booking?  And how can I avoid being penalised?  I was only trying to be kind!

Greatful for any help please?

Is there any way of contacting Airbnb direct?  Tel/email.  I can't find anyway of getting support from them other than asking other hosts, which if correct, is not great service for the commission they take.

Katharine

Top Answer
Farah1
Level 10
Seattle, WA

@Katharine10 as a host, we should never cancel a reservation from our end. If a reservation need to be cancelled, either have the guests to do it (if that is what the guests want) or contact airbnb to have them to assist you. For the future, if you want to help guest in this kind of situation, have them cancel the reservation. Once the reservation is cancelled, you will receive an email confirmation about it, then you have the option to release the rest (the remaining 50%) to the guest.

View Top Answer in original post

14 Replies 14
Farah1
Level 10
Seattle, WA

@Katharine10 as a host, we should never cancel a reservation from our end. If a reservation need to be cancelled, either have the guests to do it (if that is what the guests want) or contact airbnb to have them to assist you. For the future, if you want to help guest in this kind of situation, have them cancel the reservation. Once the reservation is cancelled, you will receive an email confirmation about it, then you have the option to release the rest (the remaining 50%) to the guest.

Katharine10
Level 2
Churchill, United Kingdom

Thank you Farah for your help and advice.  I've asked Airbnb to unblock my calendar and hope they do!

Really appreciate your help.

Best

Katharine

Olga197
Level 1
Cape Town, South Africa

Hi Katherine,

I have a similar issue as you experienced and would like to contact airbnb to unblock my days. How did you contact them as I struggle to find contact details?

Kind regards,

Olga

Clare0
Level 10
Templeton, CA

@Katharine10 If you have Instant Book enabled, you could have cancelled penalty free by indicating that you were not comfortable with the guest and explain that they brought a toddler to your listing which was not suitable for young children.  It's one of the perks of using Instant Book

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/2022/how-do-penalty-free-cancellations-work-for-instant-book-hos...

The host is unprotected if the guest cancels..  I have an instant booking from a guest for an entire month.  I now realize they can cancel 7 days ahead of the july reservation with no penalty.  I will not be able to rent at that late date and will loose money.   This does not seem fair.

@Nikolai6 The long term cancellation policy is different.  Look up long term cancellation and payout policies in the Help Center.  Would be good for you to know since you have a minimum 30 days.

I changed to the setting that says '50% refund up until 1 week prior’  does anyone know if this affects reservations already made?

Jeff158
Level 10
Caernarfon, United Kingdom

Hi @Nikolai6

All bookings for over 28 nights are automatically put on the long term cancelation policy no matter what your listing policy is.

Now i get it,  Thank YOu.

Jeanne123
Level 2
Monterey, CA

Do I lose my super host status if I cancel a guest 45 days in advance and pay the penalty. I've never canceled before?

Thank you

I have an upcoming reservation that was requested last Thursday, and the lady who requested is not the one staying, she provided the names for the reservation later, and check the Facebook profile and I saw something that makes me feel uncomfortable to  them staying at my place!I have tried politely o get her to cancel, but she has not done it yet, I have also tried to cancel but I am getting charged 100 dls which I found it unfair, as she is not the one staying, I really need to be careful as this is my primary home and we live here! Can I please get some guidance in how to do it right! Thk you

Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

@Erika206@Jeanne123  Perhaps one of the most important processes that a host needs to understand is cancellation.  Whether it is host initiated or guest initiated, that is one of the biggest issues discussed on this site.  I am not going to try to summarize what is here or in the Help Center, I encourage you both to read what is in the Help Center about host cancellations.  I have cancelled bookings and never had any host penalty because I involve Air BNB in the process.  Of course I do not cancell unless there is a system issue or extenuating circumstance.  Never have been penalized.

Dina92
Level 1
Los Angeles, CA

i need help on how to remove a listing that I not longer want to rent